• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex vs. Homosexuality

Smoke

Done here.
Actually I have found another book by Dr. Chuck Missler.
Chuck Missler is a crackpot. Seriously.

He states that similar flood narratives are found in Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Greek, Hindu, and Chinese cultures. Also Druids, Polynesians, Mexicans, Peruvians, and American Indians all have legends of a flood on the Earth.
Rudolf Flesch came up with a way of remembering how to think clearly about things without having to remember all the logical fallacies. The best way to approach things like this is to remember two caveats: So what? and Specify. When somebody like Chuck Missler makes this kind of claim, always ask yourself:

Specify. "A flood on the earth"? Any flood is "on the earth." Missler likely uses the phrase to make it sound more significant than it is. The question is, do they have legends of a flood over the entire earth?

Specify. What legends? What, exactly, do these legends say? Do they closely correspond to the biblical story? What are Missler's sources for these legends?

So what? Suppose it's true that many cultures have a legend of a global flood. So what? Do that mean a global flood actually occurred? Many cultures have legends of dragons. Does that mean dragons really exist? Many cultures have legends of gods who are in the form of non-human animals or take the form of non-human animals on occasion -- spiders, geese, eagles, horses, etc -- or who have human bodies and the heads of other animals. Most cultures have legends of gods who mate and breed with each other and with humans. Most cultures have legends about the sun and moon that say either that the sun and moon are living beings, or that they are pulled around the sky by living beings. Some cultures have destruction legends that say the earth was destroyed and some humans survived by hiding underground.

If some version of a legend appears in different cultures -- and often the versions are drastically different -- does that mean any particular one of those legends is factual? Why?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
If living in man's idea of the "truth" is behavior such as this, I need not even try to achieve that. I'm content with who I am and what I believe. I'm content with who you are and who you choose to be. I have love for all my fellow man, as much as is humanly possible. Don't go running off with that one, I cannot say I care for the child abuser, abductor, murderer, etc. But then again, I am human.
I choose to participate in this site because I enjoy learning about other's beliefs. I honestly think that if we try to do this with an open mind, we might not be so prejudice to one another.

Yeah, I know. I love another woman, I'm committed and devoted to her. Our relationship is caring, respectful, exclusive, equal, and based on honesty. I can understand why you wouldn't want any part of that.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I know that Christians are supposed to speak out about sinful behavior and conver people, get them to repent, etc. but why is homosexuality so huge of a topic?
Maybe I have a bias being gay myself, but I see other sexual behavior as a much bigger problem than monogamous homosexual behavior.
I'm not sure if this is completely correct, but I've that the average person has sex with 2 people A YEAR. If God says that you are supposed to have sexual relations with one person and one person only, this is a huge step away from that. In today's society, a large part of people would even agree that it's okay to take part in threesomes or group sex every now and then "as long as your safe about it."
I seriously fail to see how a loving, monogamous homosexual relation is worse than this. Yet, more people would agree that casual sex is morally okay than people who would agree that homosexuality is okay. And you definitely do NOT see a fight by Christians to stop this behavior. Many Christians are the ones even taking part in casual sex.
How are your actions worse than mine? Why do you have a right to call me a sinner but what you're doing is okay simply because it's accepted by the majority of society?

no one has the right to judge or condemn you for your way of life...God allows each of us to pave our own way.

And he doesnt view your sexual misconduct as any worse then a christian who commits fornication...he views them both the same. Sin is sin no matter what form it comes in.

I think the self righteousness of many christians is what leads them to justify their own immorality while condemning yours. In the end we are all sinners and will all answer for our errors whatever they may be.

emiliano

And he would do this because . . . ? It certainly didn't result in a sinless population following the flood.
What part of the story make you think that they continue sinning? As far as I can see in the scriptures (this is the base of my faith man will reach the same level of evil at the time of the Lord second coming, humanity is not there yet.
Gen 6:12 So God looked upon the earth, and indeed it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth.
I don’t think that this is the case in today days “not all flesh is corrupted so is not the time for the end of all things. Besides the Bible tell us of God longsuffering toward us.
2Pe 2:5 and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, [one of] eight [people], a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly;
We can see that the ungodly are a tine minority/

emiliano

By what authority do you demand that another person not call them self a Christian?
It just that they are misusing the term, the Christian church was founded by Paul ant is was he that geve Christians churches the statudes by which they should govern the Church.
Sure you know what the Epistles say about homosexuality?

jml03

We do have some good ideas what happened to the dinosaurs. Can be read about in science books.

Yes but is not the foundation of our forum, question what is written? I'm pretty sure that's what most of us are doing on here.... Maybe you believe everything that you see,hmmmm.

jml03

I was responding to this:
Maybe I misunderstood you though?

I'm not questioning, or saying anything about your lifestyle. What I meant by my comment was that you were flat out coming across as rude. I can disagree with you without being rude or crass or inconsiderate to your feelings.

Maybe I misunderstood you though?

ThereIsNoSpoon

Yes but is not the foundation of our forum, question what is written? I'm pretty sure that's what most of us are doing on here.... Maybe you believe everything that you see,hmmmm.
Your reply strikes me as a bit odd and wronly formulated (no offense intended)
I think you should reread the post that i answered to.
Actually I picked up a book that gives some information on the major religions of today. Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Muslim, Christianity, Hinduism anyway, it named several religions that have a history of a flood long ago. It didn't name anything specific. To me, it did not encourage my own religious beliefs, as I believe them through faith. But it did spark a curiosity. Myself, I was thinking maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs. Who knows.

Skwim

Veteran Member
no one has the right to judge or condemn you for your way of life...God allows each of us to pave our own way.
Sorry, but everyone has such a right. What they don't have is a right to act on such a condemnation. And, of course, we all have the right to disregard such judgment or condemnation.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
It just that they are misusing the term, the Christian church was founded by Paul ant is was he that geve Christians churches the statudes by which they should govern the Church.
Sure you know what the Epistles say about homosexuality?
You did not answer the question:
By what authority do you demand that another person not call them self a Christian?​

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sorry, but everyone has such a right. What they don't have is a right to act on such a condemnation. And, of course, we all have the right to disregard such judgment or condemnation.

ok perhaps I should have specified more clearly that 'christians' dont have that right.

Jesus told his followers that it was not their right to judge and condemn anyone...that role is Gods alone. This is why when Jesus was being condemned and reviled he did not go reviling in return.

Matthew 7:1-5 “Stop judging that you may not be judged; for with what judgment you are judging, you will be judged; and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you. Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to extract the straw from your eye’; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother’s eye.”

So if we christians are to apply Jesus words, then condemning someone for wrongdoing is not our 'position' is what I meant. We certainly dont condone homosexuality and in harmony with the scriptures would not allow members of the church to remain a part of the church while they were practicing such things....but nor could a fornicator or adulterer remain a part of the church while practicing such things either.

McBell

ok perhaps I should have specified more clearly that 'christians' dont have that right.

Jesus told his followers that it was not their right to judge and condemn anyone...that role is Gods alone. This is why when Jesus was being condemned and reviled he did not go reviling in return.

Matthew 7:1-5 “Stop judging that you may not be judged; for with what judgment you are judging, you will be judged; and with the measure that you are measuring out, they will measure out to you. Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to extract the straw from your eye’; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother’s eye.”

So if we christians are to apply Jesus words, then condemning someone for wrongdoing is not our 'position' is what I meant. We certainly dont condone homosexuality and in harmony with the scriptures would not allow members of the church to remain a part of the church while they were practicing such things....but nor could a fornicator or adulterer remain a part of the church while practicing such things either.
That is not a command about Judging.

It is a WARNING against hypocrisy.

McBell

thats also right

if we take Jesus words to heart we wouldnt do it.
If we take Jesus words to heart we would know that Jesus has no problems with people judging others so long as the judger is not a hypocrite.