• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex vs. Homosexuality

justbehappy

I know that Christians are supposed to speak out about sinful behavior and conver people, get them to repent, etc. but why is homosexuality so huge of a topic?
Maybe I have a bias being gay myself, but I see other sexual behavior as a much bigger problem than monogamous homosexual behavior.
I'm not sure if this is completely correct, but I've that the average person has sex with 2 people A YEAR. If God says that you are supposed to have sexual relations with one person and one person only, this is a huge step away from that. In today's society, a large part of people would even agree that it's okay to take part in threesomes or group sex every now and then "as long as your safe about it."
I seriously fail to see how a loving, monogamous homosexual relation is worse than this. Yet, more people would agree that casual sex is morally okay than people who would agree that homosexuality is okay. And you definitely do NOT see a fight by Christians to stop this behavior. Many Christians are the ones even taking part in casual sex.
How are your actions worse than mine? Why do you have a right to call me a sinner but what you're doing is okay simply because it's accepted by the majority of society?

Skwim

Veteran Member
The Christian stand on premarital sex.
"Premarital sexual relationships are strongly condemned in both the Old Testament and New Testament of the Bible. Therefore, Christians who engage in premarital sex are breaking God's laws and are not following Jesus Christ. Under such practices, God is not honored, and both yours and your partner's walk with Christ is hampered."
source

"God is 100 percent against pre-marital sex and that He commands us to not take part in pre-marital sex. It doesn't matter what all of your friends are doing or what you see in movies or videos or even what unmarried people who live in your own house are doing. God's Word has not changed. God is today and has always been against His children participating in pre-marital sex! God wants us to have sexual relations with our husband or wife only. 1 Corinthians 7:2 reads "To avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."
source

"Sex before marriage, pre-marital experience, assuming one is talking of sexual intercourse or perversion of the same, the word of God implies it all by calling it fornication. It knows no exception. It allows none. Renaming fornication does not change the act or remove the consequence. Those who commit fornication, sin.

God says it is fornication, sin, and those who commit such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. It is not sex which God condemns, but it's misuse outside the marriage bond.
source
Yet we find . . . . .
"NEW YORK — More than nine out of 10 Americans, men and women alike, have had premarital sex, according to a new study. The high rates extend even to women born in the 1940s, challenging perceptions that people were more chaste in the past.

The study, examining how sexual behavior before marriage has changed over time, was based on interviews conducted with more than 38,000 people — about 33,000 of them women — in 1982, 1988, 1995 and 2002 for the federal National Survey of Family Growth. According to Finer’s analysis, 99 percent of the respondents had had sex by age 44, and 95 percent had done so before marriage."
source

Which means that a huge percentage of Christians found/find this condemnation by their religion not worth paying attention to. A pick and choose approach to Christian theology to be sure, which is obviously predicated on whose ox is being gored. If it's someone else's sin of course it should be denounced. If it's my sin, the less said the better. Hypocrisy plain and simple, but nothing new.

Misty

My husband and I certainly had sex before we married and we were 'born agains' at the time, we never regretted it! I think it is stupid to save sex for marriage in a committed relationship. You need to know if you are sexually compatible before you tie the knot.

As for homosexuality, for goodness sake what is the problem with it? The Bible is WRONG where it is concerned, but then it is wrong about many things, imo.

emiliano

I know that Christians are supposed to speak out about sinful behavior and conver people, get them to repent, etc. but why is homosexuality so huge of a topic?
Maybe I have a bias being gay myself, but I see other sexual behavior as a much bigger problem than monogamous homosexual behavior.
I'm not sure if this is completely correct, but I've that the average person has sex with 2 people A YEAR. If God says that you are supposed to have sexual relations with one person and one person only, this is a huge step away from that. In today's society, a large part of people would even agree that it's okay to take part in threesomes or group sex every now and then "as long as your safe about it."
I seriously fail to see how a loving, monogamous homosexual relation is worse than this. Yet, more people would agree that casual sex is morally okay than people who would agree that homosexuality is okay. And you definitely do NOT see a fight by Christians to stop this behavior. Many Christians are the ones even taking part in casual sex.
How are your actions worse than mine? Why do you have a right to call me a sinner but what you're doing is okay simply because it's accepted by the majority of society?

Well what lacking in here is background, Those Christian that you mention for example. Are they your blood relatives?
I can tell you that to Christians sin is sin and have the same remedy “repentance and behavioural change, followed by development of virtues, those that love you and believe in Christianity would like/desire to see you in the kingdom of God. Did you know that sincere repentance mean a change in the way you lived till the time of your repentance?
God to Christians is merciful to those that repent and he help them to change.
Another thing is that Christians know that nobody is sinless, the punishment and shunning is for those that obstinately refuse to repent and change.
You are mixing concepts in your OP. Sexual immorality is a sin and it is what a person need to address and repent if they wish to go back to God, there are many that are quite happy to take the risk of been condemned, for those we need to pray, Christians are commanded to love others, so if they know you lost they will try to change you.
To Christians homosexuality is unnatural (a sin contra nature) and that separate them from God that is the only one that can help them to develop virtues, the chief one of then is self-control .
Adultery is a sin against God and the woman of your pact, when we marry we swear to forsake all other love, we do it in God presence so it is a sin like all other sins and we need to repent and sin no more, pre-marital sex is usually agreed on the on the understanding of a later marriage and is sin against the woman of our pact and God.
I think that is wrong to grade sins, specially if God’s mercy is ignore, the Bible clearly states that we are all sinners.

kejos

Why do you see either as a problem?

Misty

the Bible clearly states that we are all sinners.

The Biblical God character is the biggest sinner of the lot!

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I am 100% for sex being for a committed relationship. I don't like the idea of just sleeping around with anyone, but I think being in a strong committed relationship, where the most likely outcome will be marriage, is a good place for it.

There needs to be love, and committing - that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be marriage. And, this of course is the same for homosexual couples.

Last edited:

Misty

I am 100% fore sex being for a committed relationship. I don't like the idea of just sleeping around with anyone, but I think being in a strong committed relationship, where the most likely outcome will be marriage, is a good place for it.

There needs to be love, and committing - that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be marriage. And, this of course is the same for homosexual couples.

I totally agree. Sleeping around is not a good idea.

RG I see you live in the UK, I wonder if we have met on any UK forums?

Misty

No, I don't think I have been on any UK forums. Do you have any suggestions?

Try the BBC Christian Message Board, I have posted there for over ten years. I warn you though, some of the fundie posters appear to have escaped from mental facilities! :D

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Try the BBC Christian Message Board, I have posted there for over ten years. I warn you though, some of the fundie posters appear to have escaped from mental facilities! :D

Oh cool, I will have a look! I will try and keep the same user name if I can :)

The only other religions forum I post on, is a Christian one, which is great, but sometimes it's good to discuss things with people from different faiths.

Misty

Oh cool, I will have a look! I will try and keep the same user name if I can :)

The only other religions forum I post on, is a Christian one, which is great, but sometimes it's good to discuss things with people from different faiths.

Which one, I have posted on most over the years? BTW if you do join the BBC CTMB you will be in pre-mod for the first twenty posts or so, it is their policy and it isn't open all day. (9am-6pm weekdays 10am-5pm weekends)

Last edited:

kejos

I would much sooner be in outer darkness than in heaven with God if all the tales about him in the Bible are true!
But people in the outer darkness get worse than what befell those who opposed Israel. That's the point of the 'tales'. Much worse- and worse because the fate is known to be deserved, too. Taking moral high ground is going to look risible.

Misty

But people in the outer darkness get worse than what befell those who opposed Israel. That's the point of the 'tales'. Much worse- and worse because the fate is known to be deserved, too. Taking moral high ground is going to look risible.

Oh dear! :D

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
My church organization is equally against all sin.

Though it is my idea that the reason why certain christian's today make such a big deal about homosexuality is because it's constantly in the news. If Premarital sex was constantly in the news then there would be an open out rage against it. Though thats just my opinion.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
My church organization is equally against all sin.

Though it is my idea that the reason why certain christian's today make such a big deal about homosexuality is because it's constantly in the news. If Premarital sex was constantly in the news then there would be an open out rage against it. Though thats just my opinion.

I guess that definitely plays a part.

At my last church, preachers spent much more time preaching against homosexuality, than pre-marital sex. So if they are preaching that, people will tend to believe that that is more sinful of the two. The same with it being in the news more often.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Pre-marital sex is perfectly fine when all parties consent, are educated on sex, and maintain their resolve on using contraception, communicating boundaries clearly, and respecting boundaries.

Homosexuality is perfectly natural and beautiful. 'nuff said.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Some people approach nookie like a field sport - that's fine by me.

For myself, sex and love are intertwined. I think having a sexual relationship with somone you love opens doors to a way of being that is on another level.

I believe that whatever ones sexual orientation, that timeless moment with one you love is the goal - be you married, single, straight or gay.
I consider sin to be distance from God. I have no doubt that a moment of bliss in a loving relationship, perhaps because of the selflesness involved, is a move away from sin.