• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premarital Sex vs. Homosexuality

Nerthus

Wanderlust
1 cor (11:4) "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head."
(11:5-6)
"If the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn."

If a woman refuses to cover her head in church, then her her head must be shaved.

The way I see it, there are only 2 options for a woman praying in church, covered head or shaved head. Until the Christians protest and crack down on this PAULINE NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDMENT, they we should overlook the other " commands" as well. Don't you think?

I got my cordless shears from walmart and I am going down to the 1st baptist church on Sunday and the moment I see a girl start to pray, I am going to turn those clippers on and watch the church all look and I will say, " hey , its in the book".

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Now that is a good point. I have never seen a woman with a hat (or her hair shaved!) in church.

Seems like some people just like to pick and choose.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Seems like some people just like to pick and choose.
And that's why Christianity is fractured into 38,000+ denominations. It's a religion that allows people to pick and choose whatever their wants and needs dictate. Don't like peas and carrots? Okay, how about some bananas and horseradish?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
1 cor (11:4) "Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head."
(11:5-6)
"If the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn."

If a woman refuses to cover her head in church, then her her head must be shaved.

The way I see it, there are only 2 options for a woman praying in church, covered head or shaved head. Until the Christians protest and crack down on this PAULINE NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDMENT, they we should overlook the other " commands" as well. Don't you think?

I got my cordless shears from walmart and I am going down to the 1st baptist church on Sunday and the moment I see a girl start to pray, I am going to turn those clippers on and watch the church all look and I will say, " hey , its in the book".

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

That sounds good. But first, go through the congregation and kick out all the divorced members. That should cut down the numbers considerably, but who wants unrepentant sinners in the congregation anyway?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
And that's why Christianity is fractured into 38,000+ denominations. It's a religion that allows people to pick and choose whatever their wants and needs dictate. Don't like peas and carrots? Okay, how about some bananas and horseradish?

Now THAT'S perverted.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I am not talking down to you or anyone else, if you had read the entire convo that had taken place, perhaps you would see that and then again, perhaps not. The point I was trying to make in that instance and evidently in this one as well, was that you can stand up for your beliefs without stating them so harshly.
Actually, you were.
Most people who think they are better than others do.

Do any of you have something, some better way to enlighten me with? I haven't heard. You have just stated how wicked and evil my faith is, without offering any sort of a better way of life.
Really?
What in my post even mentioned you "faith", let alone called it 'wicked' or 'evil'?

Perhaps if you were to address what I actually posted instead of trying this desperately sad attempt at playing the martyr...?
But if you prefer to look the fool, keep it up.
You are doing a right fine job.

What if you were in a town, and a group of people were rude and hurtful to you. Would you denounce the entire town for the acts of a few?
Most likely no.
However, it really depends upon the specifics of the situation.

I feel like you are somewhat prejudice to me and to my faith. I thought in our society we were moving past that, hmmmm, guess not.
You feel like trying to play the martyr.
Problem is that it is only making you look like a fool.

Perhaps if you tried actually responding to what I posted...
Just a thought.

jml03

I do, but it's challenging. It's a commitment to the truth, and to using evidence and logic, not feelings, to determine what is true. Are you up to the challenge?

No, I take Christians one at a time, as my Jewish mother taught me. I take you as prejudiced against gay people.

If living in man's idea of the "truth" is behavior such as this, I need not even try to achieve that. I'm content with who I am and what I believe. I'm content with who you are and who you choose to be. I have love for all my fellow man, as much as is humanly possible. Don't go running off with that one, I cannot say I care for the child abuser, abductor, murderer, etc. But then again, I am human.
I choose to participate in this site because I enjoy learning about other's beliefs. I honestly think that if we try to do this with an open mind, we might not be so prejudice to one another.

Last edited:

jml03

Actually, you were.
Most people who think they are better than others do.

Really?
What in my post even mentioned you "faith", let alone called it 'wicked' or 'evil'?

Perhaps if you were to address what I actually posted instead of trying this desperately sad attempt at playing the martyr...?
But if you prefer to look the fool, keep it up.
You are doing a right fine job.

Most likely no.
However, it really depends upon the specifics of the situation.

You feel like trying to play the martyr.
Problem is that it is only making you look like a fool.

Perhaps if you tried actually responding to what I posted...
Just a thought.

do what? Your insults are boring.:sleep:

jml03

I just want to say that just because someone is debating your religious beliefs, doesn't mean they are debating your morals. I would bet that a lot of non-Christians live by the exact same principles you do.

For me, I do not fit the cookie-cutter image of a religious follower. I choose to think for myself. Do I personally believe that some things in the bible may not be historically accurate? Perhaps. They were written by Man, and man is capable of error. However, they were given to man by God, so therefore a portion at least must be true. A man can possibly misconstrue something he saw in a vision or elsewhere and write it a little different than God may have wanted. But at the end of the day, the words are there. If God did not want them to be there, they wouldn't be.

So is not true then that people that were strongly against homosexuality (like many people today) added that into the writings of the bible? And what if God didn't want things changed. What if God was okay with their being errors in the bible because he wants us to figure some things out on our own. Maybe he wants us to know that you can't make your own interpretations of all of the writings and to trust in him instead[/QUOTE]

Very refreshing! I have to say, you give me something to think about.

jml03

Where did you hear of Buddhist flood myths? I've been practicing for 15 years and have yet to hear even one.

Actually I picked up a book that gives some information on the major religions of today. Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Muslim, Christianity, Hinduism anyway, it named several religions that have a history of a flood long ago. It didn't name anything specific. To me, it did not encourage my own religious beliefs, as I believe them through faith. But it did spark a curiosity. Myself, I was thinking maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs. Who knows.

justbehappy

I choose to participate in this site because I enjoy learning about other's beliefs. I honestly think that if we try to do this with an open mind, we might not be so prejudice to one another.

You don't jave an open mind if you believe homosexuality is a sin just because the bible says it is.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Actually I picked up a book that gives some information on the major religions of today. Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Muslim, Christianity, Hinduism anyway, it named several religions that have a history of a flood long ago. It didn't name anything specific. To me, it did not encourage my own religious beliefs, as I believe them through faith. But it did spark a curiosity. Myself, I was thinking maybe that's what happened to the dinosaurs. Who knows.

Which book is that? Again, understand that I've been a practicing Buddhist for 15 years, and I have not heard any deluge stories in our tradition.

None.

jml03

Maybe you are right. I have members of my family that are homosexual, and I accept them, and they accept me, and I do not thrust my beliefs down their throats. Do I believe they are going to spend eternity it hell because of their private sexual activities? It is not for me to decide. I do not, however, believe God will punish someone who believes in Him with eternal damnation for something like this. Many will disagree with me, but in this instance, I believe I am open minded.

jml03

Which book is that? Again, understand that I've been a practicing Buddhist for 15 years, and I have not heard any deluge stories in our tradition.

None.

A Pocket Guide to World Religions, I don't remember the author, but I will try to locate the book amidst my heap! It just gives a 10 - 15 page summary of the major religions in the world today, of course with a Christian message at the end.

I'm sure there will be a lot of slack for this, but oh well. Enlighten me

Wannabe Yogi

Actually I picked up a book that gives some information on the major religions of today. Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Muslim, Christianity, Hinduism anyway,

Is this a Christian book about false religions ? I can not see a comparative religion book given to much space to the flood.

I like to go into Christian book stores and pick up and read books about cults. I can tell you that the Hinduism I practice and the different Hindu traditions that my friends practice. Are almost unrecognizable to me in these books. I find those books to be not very accurate. I read a best selling Christian book once "Death of a Guru" after a friend gave it to me. Many of the beliefs that were explained in that book were complete unknown to me as Hinduism. All I have to say if that book is in any way true, thank God he converted from Hinduism who would want to believe that type of trash.

Skwim

Veteran Member
A Pocket Guide to World Religions, I don't remember the author, but I will try to locate the book amidst my heap! It just gives a 10 - 15 page summary of the major religions in the world today, of course with a Christian message at the end.

"The Christians incorporated the myth [flood myth] because they absorbed the Old Testament since their god was Jewish by birth. Religions that arose later did not incorporate the myth. Zoroastrianism which has common origins with the Hindus omitted the myth as did, Jainism, Buddhism and Sikhism."

source

Wannabe Yogi

The name should give it away. Pocket Guide to World Religions, What Every Christian Needs to know.

I would try The Worlds Religions by Huston Smith.

Smith's book is seen as one of the best on this subject.

jml03

Actually I have found another book by Dr. Chuck Missler. He states that similar flood narratives are found in Egyptian, Babylonian, Persian, Greek, Hindu, and Chinese cultures. Also Druids, Polynesians, Mexicans, Peruvians, and American Indians all have legends of a flood on the Earth.

I'm not trying to sway your beliefs, but just because something wasn't run by you, or you haven't come across it, does not mean that someone somewhere didn't think it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Yeah, Wannabe Yogi is right. There's a lot of inaccuracies in many Christian-based books on the market when it comes to describing Buddhism (not to mention Hinduism). I'd also take his advice on looking into Huston Smith as a better source for studying other religions.

Smoke

Done here.
Actually I picked up a book that gives some information on the major religions of today. Buddhism, Taoism, Daoism, Muslim, Christianity, Hinduism anyway, it named several religions that have a history of a flood long ago. It didn't name anything specific.
I would imagine that just about every culture and people has experienced a flood at some time or another, but divine wrath resulting in a global flood and total destruction of nearly every living thing, like the biblical flood, is not the same thing. There's a good reason why the book wasn't too specific.

By the way, Taoism and Daoism are the same thing -- just different spellings.