• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis Steve Bannon's new target

pearl

Until now, Francis has marginalized or demoted the traditionalists, notably Cardinal Burke, carrying out an inclusive agenda on migration, climate change and poverty that has made the pope a figure of unmatched global popularity, especially among liberals. Yet in a newly turbulent world, Francis is suddenly a lonelier figure. Where once Francis had a powerful ally in the White House in Barack Obama, now there is Mr. Trump and Mr. Bannon, this new president’s ideological guru.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/europe/vatican-steve-bannon-pope-francis.html

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well... Bannon is temporarily living in Rome, supported by Italian populists, primarily to help the right-wing Souverainism change Europe for good.

The Pope has criticized the Italian government...he even refused to meet the deputy PM.
btw Bannon is Catholic...as I am

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Until now, Francis has marginalized or demoted the traditionalists, notably Cardinal Burke, carrying out an inclusive agenda on migration, climate change and poverty that has made the pope a figure of unmatched global popularity, especially among liberals. Yet in a newly turbulent world, Francis is suddenly a lonelier figure. Where once Francis had a powerful ally in the White House in Barack Obama, now there is Mr. Trump and Mr. Bannon, this new president’s ideological guru.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/world/europe/vatican-steve-bannon-pope-francis.html
You know this article is 2 years old, right? Steve Bannon is no longer on the White House staff.

joe1776

Arrogance is losing its battle with Decency in the world. So, the arrogant, like Bannon, become traditionalists, hoping to halt the moral progress. I left the RCC many years ago and will not return, but I see Pope Francis fighting the good fight. I wish him well.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Arrogance is losing its battle with Decency in the world. So, the arrogant, like Bannon, become traditionalists, hoping to halt the progress. I left the RCC many years ago and will not return, but I see Pope Francis fighting the good fight. I wish him well.
In this case, Bannon has the better decency rating.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When I read the "red letters" in the gospel accounts, and then I remember what Bannon has said and done over the last few years, I don't see much of a match at all, so Bannon doesn't seem to like much of what Jesus taught either. Instead of "Bring the little children unto me as they are of the kingdom of God", Trump's and Bannon's actions are much more like "Bring the little children unto us so we can separate them from their parents and throw them into cages".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
When I read the "red letters" in the gospel accounts, and then I remember what Bannon has said and done over the last few years, I don't see much of a match at all, so Bannon doesn't seem to like much of what Jesus taught either. Instead of "Bring the little children unto me as they are of the kingdom of God", Trump's and Bannon's actions are much more like "Bring the little children unto us so we can separate them from their parents and throw them into cages".
But Bannon never ran an organization which systematically
raped children, covered it up, & continued the practice.
Bannon is no prince. But the Pope, every Pope, is worse.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

In Europe we have serious problems.
There are hidden powers, probably Freemasonic, who want to rule behind the curtains, jeopardizing the EU reforms, jeopardizing Brexit.
Bannon just came to give us hope, that's all.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
He has his problems.
But enabling the systematic rape of children doesn't appear to be one of them.
Of neither one.

Bannon, however, is an active advocate for hatred and dumb nationalism.

He does not deserve to hold a candle to Pope Benedict, let alone Pope Francis.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of neither one.
Bannon, however, is an active advocate for hatred and dumb nationalism.
He does not deserve to hold a candle to Pope Benedict, let alone Pope Francis.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
I say the systematic sexual assault of children (& corruption of the justice
systems towards this end) around the world is worse than Bannon's politics.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
We'll have to agree to disagree.

So it seems. I am certainly not about to agree with you here.

I say the systematic sexual assault of children (& corruption of the justice
systems towards this end) around the world is worse than Bannon's politics.

Yes, it is. Although not by quite so large a margin as one would want.

That is largely academic, though. Francis inherited the problem and seems to be attempting to fix it. That is far more than one can say about Bannon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So it seems. I am certainly not about to agree with you here.

Yes, it is. Although not by quite so large a margin as one would want.

That is largely academic, though. Francis inherited the problem and seems to be attempting to fix it. That is far more than one can say about Bannon.
I find the Pope's attempt to fix the problem to be less than needed.
Hence our difference in judging these 2 malefactors.