• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis allows priests to bless same-sex couples (not marriage)

Kelly of the Phoenix

Would that be the same Christ who told sinners that it is better to lose a limb than to risk one's soul by sin? The same Christ who said that he will cast his enemies into the outer darkness? It is interesting how people tend to omit that aspect of Christ when they talk about what being "Christlike" means.
The same Christ whose beloved was John?

Every Sunday at mass, probably. The congregation are all sinners in various ways, some of them are probably thieves and some may well have committed mortal sins, though murder would be rare, in the UK at least.
Ok, if they bless everyone, regardless of how evil the people are, then I don't see any logical problem, if they also bless those who are homosexuals. But, it would be interesting to know, what blessing means to them. I think it would mean that the person gets rid of his wrong ways and for example gives up homosexual way.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ok, if they bless everyone, regardless of how evil the people are, then I don't see any logical problem, if they also bless those who are homosexuals. But, it would be interesting to know, what blessing means to them. I think it would mean that the person gets rid of his wrong ways and for example gives up homosexual way.
A blessing is just a prayer invoking God’s favour on the blessed.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I believe the OP was about blessing the couples, not the unions themselves.
Read the article,

apparently it is not even blessing the couples

From the article

"If anything, the document could be understood to encourage blessings so that same-sex-attracted individuals (or any individual in what the document calls an “irregular” relationship) will be encouraged to live out God’s plan for human sexuality rather than their own."

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Or is it that they believe in Jesus' words to "love one another"?
I'm going to put things very bluntly. The teaching of the Catholic Chruch is thus: those who die in unrepentant sexual sin will burn in Hell. (Yes, even in the Francis era catechism, that is what the Church officially teaches). Now, if the Bergoglios and the James Martins of the world want to present themselves as believing Catholic clergy then that is what they must believe. (Tiptoeing notwithstanding). If the Catholic Church can no longer bring itself to say that, then it and its whole religion is a fraud.

This is why I almost hate the Catholic Church at this point. The whole thing has been overrun by doublespeaking cowards. No, neither you or America Magazine are going to convince me that Jesus was a secular progressive with the "correct" 21st century opinions on gender and sexuality. I'm not playing that game.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
No, it wasn't. Christ's mission was to pay the penalty of sin (death) on our behalf.
You make it sound as if it was Jesus' idea to be born, and then executed as a sacrifice to God.
This restored the means for a salvific relationship between God and man and offers us a path of liberation us from sin and its ultimate consequences. tcf9y\\\==[[
Well, Christians changed the Jewish idea of salvation to create a whole new meaning. Of course the whole "Jesus as savior" myth is absurd literally. Seriously, if a God was to exist why would it not just make the salvation available via direct magic?
Christ indeed left an example of corporal charity, but corporal charity alone is not the main point of Christian teaching.
Well there are lots of ideas, and that is illustrated by the some 44,000 different sects.
By the way. Everything I referenced (the outer darkness) is New Testament.
It's your interpretation that adds the questionable content.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'm going to put things very bluntly. The teaching of the Catholic Chruch is thus: those who die in unrepentant sexual sin will burn in Hell. (Yes, even in the Francis era catechism, that is what the Church officially teaches). Now, if the Bergoglios and the James Martins of the world want to present themselves as believing Catholic clergy then that is what they must believe. (Tiptoeing notwithstanding). If the Catholic Church can no longer bring itself to say that, then it and its whole religion is a fraud.

This is why I almost hate the Catholic Church at this point. The whole thing has been overrun by doublespeaking cowards. No, neither you or America Magazine are going to convince me that Jesus was a secular progressive with the "correct" 21st century opinions on gender and sexuality. I'm not playing that game.
Give the Catholics a little credit for updating their business model to not **** off all their customers. Heck, even the hard liners don't believe that the rules apply to them.

The funny thing is that if conservative theists really believed a God exists they would bend over backwards to be decent people. They don't.

CharmingOwl

I am not Christian but if I was I would personally reject this for not being enough. A lot of people in the LGBT community seem to hate religion or view it as outdated if at all applicable to their lives, and I think this recent trend of gradually and subtly moving towards modern acceptance attitudes is the organization trying to be inclusive, while not alienating or challenging strongly prejudice that some people can have in that religious group. It seems like strategic maneuvering by the church that refuses to clearly pick a side.