• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pope Francis allows priests to bless same-sex couples (not marriage)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am sure He loves everyone but that does not mean He wants people to remain in the curse when they could easily come to salvation in Jesus.
I have a very tough time with the idea that life -- supposedly a "gift from God" -- ought to be suffered through in misery. Not much of a gift, in my opinion. You see, for someone not oriented like you, "easily" means giving up all notion of human love and sexuality for one's entire lifetime. Priests may think that's a good idea, but I can guarantee you, the vast, vast majority of humanity doesn't.

Dave Watchman

Your comments?
I liked it like the Days of Lot is here again. Because it means we're right at the end of time and speeding toward the day when the Son of Man is revealed.

“The delirious Declaration Fiducia Supplicans, recently published by the parody of the former Holy Office renamed the Dicastery, definitively pierces the veil of hypocrisy and deception of the Bergoglian hierarchy, showing these false shepherds for what they really are: servants of Satan and his most zealous allies, beginning with the usurper who sits – an abomination of desolation – on the Throne of Peter.

“The very incipit of the document sounds, like all those issued by Bergoglio, mocking and deceptive: because trust in God’s forgiveness without repentance is called the presumption of salvation without merit and is a sin against the Holy Spirit.” - Archbishop Viganò

Priceless. Even the rope a pope's own people, namely a leading archbishop in the Bergoglian church, are critical of his decision, but this guy really nails it.

Check out the comment section from the twitter post,

"This is exactly how I know that we are in the end times ....​

"This is what happens just before civilizations are consumed by fire..​

Even people on a news forum know it.

So they have a strict ban on sodomite marriage, but the priest will turn around and give them his blessing. Lol.

On the wing of abominations.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. - Leviticus 18:22​

"Here are they that keep the commandments of God,
And the faith of Jesus.

Peaceful Sabbath.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Or in any other way. Do you know are they doing so?
Every Sunday at mass, probably. The congregation are all sinners in various ways, some of them are probably thieves and some may well have committed mortal sins, though murder would be rare, in the UK at least.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I liked it like the Days of Lot is here again. Because it means we're right at the end of time and speeding toward the day when the Son of Man is revealed.

“The delirious Declaration Fiducia Supplicans, recently published by the parody of the former Holy Office renamed the Dicastery, definitively pierces the veil of hypocrisy and deception of the Bergoglian hierarchy, showing these false shepherds for what they really are: servants of Satan and his most zealous allies, beginning with the usurper who sits – an abomination of desolation – on the Throne of Peter.

“The very incipit of the document sounds, like all those issued by Bergoglio, mocking and deceptive: because trust in God’s forgiveness without repentance is called the presumption of salvation without merit and is a sin against the Holy Spirit.” - Archbishop Viganò

Priceless. Even the rope a pope's own people, namely a leading archbishop in the Bergoglian church, are critical of his decision, but this guy really nails it.

So they have a strict ban on sodomite marriage, but the priest will turn around and give them his blessing. Lol.

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. - Leviticus 18:22​

And the faith of Jesus.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Generally speaking, the conservative bishops don't like him, but the younger ones do, and even though I'm not a bishop I'm much more in agreement with the latter. Jesus taught "love one another" and that's exactly where PF's heart is.

exchemist

Veteran Member

And the faith of Jesus.

Peaceful Sabbath.
A classic! My post 36 refers. :grinning:

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

And the faith of Jesus.

Peaceful Sabbath.
Of course, the faithful believe that the election of a Pope is inspired by God in Conclave, and that the selection cannot be wrong. Nor can the duly elected Pope err in matters of faith or morals, when speaking ex cathedra. I take it, then, that you (and of course Archbishop Vagano) no longer believe that to be true. You must suppose, therefore, that either God erred or was missing during conclave, or has deliberately defaulted.

Conservative Catholics seem to believe in "dogma before decency," or so it appears to me. That was not, if my memory serves me correctly, what Jesus taught. Quite the opposite, actually,

Matthew 23 NIV

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

Dave Watchman

Jesus taught "love one another" and that's exactly where PF's heart is.
The only problem is, when Jesus said that He was speaking specifically to His disciples, not to the world.

He also told them when they enter into a town that didn't accept their message they should leave and shake the dust off from their feet.

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. - Matthew 10: 14-15​

Peaceful Sabbath.

metis

The only problem is, when Jesus said that He was speaking specifically to His disciples, not to the world.

So, we can only love fellow Christians? "Love" is used 293 times in the NT, and it doesn't just apply to our own.

He also told them when they enter into a town that didn't accept their message they should leave and shake the dust off from their feet.

"And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words, shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town. Truly, I say to you, it will be more bearable on the day of judgment for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah than for that town. - Matthew 10: 14-15
That's not my judgement.
Peaceful Sabbath.
Same back at ya.

Dave Watchman

Of course, the faithful believe that the election of a Pope is inspired by God in Conclave, and that the selection cannot be wrong. Nor can the duly elected Pope err in matters of faith or morals, when speaking ex cathedra. I take it, then, that you (and of course Archbishop Vagano) no longer believe that to be true. You must suppose, therefore, that either God erred or was missing during conclave, or has deliberately defaulted.
I don't know, I'm not catholic. But you must wonder, as do I, with everything else going on in the world, why is he doing this now? In the middle ages the vatican was burning the commandment keeping People of God at the stake. So I don't think it's always immediately clear who the "faithful" really are. Until their feet hit the fire.

The rope a pope appears to have been in a state of apostasy for some time now. It doesn't surprise me he would attempt to align himself with whatever populist movement of the day there would be. Like the Archbishop said up there, revealing himself as a "false shepherd, a servant of Satan.

And God didn't err. This was predicted to happen, and is a sign of the end. It's all baked in the cake. God gives up after a specific time. And God gave them over to a reprobate mind. Go to Bible Hub and read Romans 1. The last stage is when it finally hits the women, even the women. These are the ones we would normally expect to provide the protective nurturing of the oncoming generation.

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.​
"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;​

Peaceful Sabbath.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I don't know, I'm not catholic. But you must wonder, as do I, with everything else going on in the world, why is he doing this now? In the middle ages the vatican was burning the commandment keeping People of God at the stake. So I don't think it's always immediately clear who the "faithful" really are. Until their feet hit the fire.

The rope a pope appears to have been in a state of apostasy for some time now. It doesn't surprise me he would attempt to align himself with whatever populist movement of the day there would be. Like the Archbishop said up there, revealing himself as a "false shepherd, a servant of Satan.

And God didn't err. This was predicted to happen, and is a sign of the end. It's all baked in the cake. God gives up after a specific time. And God gave them over to a reprobate mind. Go to Bible Hub and read Romans 1. The last stage is when it finally hits the women, even the women. These are the ones we would normally expect to provide the protective nurturing of the oncoming generation.

"For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.​
"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;​

Peaceful Sabbath.
THppft!

Dave Watchman

So, we can only love fellow Christians? "Love" is used 293 times in the NT, and it doesn't just apply to our own.
Love each other as I have loved you.

I'm not a Bible teacher. I'm only into the eschatology. Context is king. But it's clear in both cases I'm looking at in John, Jesus is speaking specifically to his disciples when He says to love one another.

John 13 at Passover:​
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”​
John 15 just before He went to His Crucifixion:​
“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.​

In John 13 He even distinguishes His disciples, from all people, as "all people" will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

And in John 15, which has the tone of a conditional prophecy, you are my friends IF you do what I command you. Are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, the ruthless, and the Sodomites all the friends of Jesus?.

Same back at ya.
Thanks.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Wandering Monk

Or perhaps the church, full of prelates much more educated than most of us, especially in scripture, are perfectly well aware that "divine revelation" has indeed been muddied by the way in which it was received and disseminated -- through individuals and then passed on orally or in writing, copied time and time again by mere humans for whom error is as natural as breathing.

One might also notice the amazing prevalance of homosexual behaviours in so many species, and suspect that maybe, just maybe, it is quite natural (or as Spinoza might have put it, natural/divine), and therefore only thought a sin due to our human capacity for error, mentioned above.

metis

I'm not a Bible teacher. I'm only into the eschatology. Context is king. But it's clear in both cases I'm looking at in John, Jesus is speaking specifically to his disciples when He says to love one another.

That really doesn't make a difference as "love" is a constant theme throughout the Gospels, and it's not just that we must only love followers of Jesus. This is where Pope Francis is coming from.

Peaceful Sabbath.

Same to you.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Or perhaps the church, full of prelates much more educated than most of us, especially in scripture, are perfectly well aware that "divine revelation" has indeed been muddied by the way in which it was received and disseminated -- through individuals and then passed on orally or in writing, copied time and time again by mere humans for whom error is as natural as breathing.
The truth is much simpler. The liberal leaning clergy wish to be liked by the world.

Helping the poor, sick and marginalized was Jesus' mission. People spout out OT verses, not knowing the context.
No, it wasn't. Christ's mission was to pay the penalty of sin (death) on our behalf. This restored the means for a salvific relationship between God and man and offers us a path of liberation us from sin and its ultimate consequences. Christ indeed left an example of corporal charity, but corporal charity alone is not the main point of Christian teaching.

By the way. Everything I referenced (the outer darkness) is New Testament.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The truth is much simpler. The liberal leaning clergy wish to be liked by the world.
Or perhaps the liberal leaning clergy were more concerned WITH the world than with legalisms.
No, it wasn't. Christ's mission was to pay the penalty of sin (death) on our behalf. This restored the means for a salvific relationship between God and man and offers us a path of liberation us from sin and its ultimate consequences. Christ indeed left an example of corporal charity, but corporal charity alone is not the main point of Christian teaching.

Yet even the New Testament is1,900 years old! The idea of having anyone pay for the sins of another is depraved beyond measure, a notion out of humanity's barbaric past, ill-suited to our more enlightened age.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination. - Leviticus 18:22
Yes, I like to refer to that sort of thing as “the Leviticus Buffet.” You get to pick the stuff you like, and leave the rest for someone else. Like when Rev. Reed said that that his church has to terminate its charter with Boy Scout Troop 542 because theBSA lifted its ban on openly gay youths. As he said, "it's not a hate thing, it’s a "moral stance we must take as a Southern Baptist Church, “because "God's word explicitly says homosexuality is a choice, a sin." And some use "God's word" as their authority in this matter, most often pointing to the Bible's book of Leviticus at Chapter 18, Verse 22, or Leviticus 20:13; "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

So, fair question: Which verses of the Bible should guide our morals today, and which should not anymore?

Maybe the verse in the Book of Deuteronomy that says if a man marries a woman and finds that she is not a virgin, and if her family cannot prove that she was a virgin before her marriage, "she shall be brought to the door of her father's house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death?” Or maybe the verse that says that if found to be in an adulterous relationship, both the man and the woman are to be taken to the city gates and also stoned to death. Or perhaps it's the verse that says that only certain people are welcome in God's. If you happen to be a child born out of wedlock, or the great-great-great-grandchild of a person born out of wedlock, God says you may not set foot inside a church. The Bible makes this very clear. It says that no illegitimate child, "nor any of his descendants may enter the assembly of the Lord, even down to the tenth generation."

And did you know this? If a certain part of a man's body happens to be injured in an accident or as a result of war, he may likewise not join with other worshippers of God in a House of the Lord. The Bible says: "If a man's testicles are crushed or his penis is cut off, he may not be included in the assembly of the Lord."

Yes, these are words right out of the Bible. Turn to Deuteronomy 23:1-2, New Living Translation. "Oh," you might say, "one of those modern Bibles." Yes. The King James Version has it this way: "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord," but it means the same thing.

And the Bible has some startling news for women who take some of those self-defense classes that are offered these days. They can find themselves in a lot of trouble because of some of what they might learn in those classes. The Bible says: "If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity."

God's Word also provides us clear guidance on what to do about children who don't obey their parents. These are probably not thoughts that many mothers would have -- maybe even not Southern Baptist mothers, but we have no choice but to obey. As Rev. Reed would say, "God's word explicitly tells us" how we are to respond. And what does God's Word instruct us to do with rebellious children?

Kill them.

Now you might not believe that, but it's right there, plain as day, and you can't deny God's Word: "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and mother and will not listen to them when they discipline him, his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. They shall say to the elders, 'This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a profligate and a drunkard.' Then all the men of his town shall stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you."

I guess that would do it, all right...

Now, do you still wonder why I am not totally convinced that humanity's infallible answers will be found in the Bible? Because I’m betting, neither do you.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Well, he sure spent a lot of time talking about it and doing it. Maybe he forgot. Or was that a guise to get people together? I hope not.