• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: The End is Nigh (for human life on Earth)

So, which of the following would you bet on as the most likely cause(s)?

• Nuclear War(s)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Ecological Collapse

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Major Asteroid Impact

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Super-Volcano (Climate change from such)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Nanotechnology runs amok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synthetic Biology (same)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artificial Intelligence (uncontrollable)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Global System Collapse/Bad Global Governance.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
yeah
and China has boo koo too many people

only one tenth of the land in China can be farmed
and they buy grain from US(A)

Technology might overcome that problem - that is, in not being so reliant on land - and if the one-child policy effectively worked to reduce their population growth (look at India in comparison), then such might work elsewhere too. There have been studies suggesting that the planet could support as much as 12 billion I believe but I haven't looked into this much I'll admit. And perhap most would rather we did cap our population if it meant we had a chance of producing a cleaner planet.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Europe and Japan manage to keep their reproduction rate below one without a one-child policy.

True, and I'm not sure why the countries that tend to have the largest growing populations are doing so - from lack of control, just nature (more child deaths so more per family to compensate), or if it is policy such that economic growth occurs - or just a mixture of these.

Heyo

Veteran Member
True, and I'm not sure why the countries that tend to have the largest growing populations are doing so - from lack of control, just nature (more child deaths so more per family to compensate), or if it is policy such that economic growth occurs - or just a mixture of these.
There are dozens of factors. Access to birth control, a functioning social security where you don't have to rely on your children at old age, overall wealth, women's equality, religiosity, etc. Of all these empowerment of women seems to be the most important.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
the planet can support 9billion people

almost there
ROFL!
hysterical.gif

Can the planet sustain 9B and still maintain the biodiversity the ecosystem depends on?

We're already using resources faster than they can be replaced. How is that sustainable?
The planet's ecology; all natural systems, is already collapsing -- and you want to abuse it further?
Half the world's population already lives precarious, impoverished lives. What, exactly, do you mean by "sustain?"

cataway

No-one's disputing well evidenced, established history, just the unevidenced folklore, miracles, divine planning and associated theology.
as i understand bible prophecy , in the not so distant future people much like your self will setout to remove religion . for the most part they will succeed. let that be a sign to you that your world is about to end.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
as i understand bible prophecy , in the not so distant future people much like your self will setout to remove religion . for the most part they will succeed. let that be a sign to you that your world is about to end.

upset-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thief

Rogue Theologian
ROFL!
hysterical.gif

Can the planet sustain 9B and still maintain the biodiversity the ecosystem depends on?

We're already using resources faster than they can be replaced. How is that sustainable?
The planet's ecology; all natural systems, is already collapsing -- and you want to abuse it further?
Half the world's population already lives precarious, impoverished lives. What, exactly, do you mean by "sustain?"
dude....we are on the same side of the coin

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Technology might overcome that problem - that is, in not being so reliant on land - and if the one-child policy effectively worked to reduce their population growth (look at India in comparison), then such might work elsewhere too. There have been studies suggesting that the planet could support as much as 12 billion I believe but I haven't looked into this much I'll admit. And perhap most would rather we did cap our population if it meant we had a chance of producing a cleaner planet.
Logan's Run

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
There are dozens of factors. Access to birth control, a functioning social security where you don't have to rely on your children at old age, overall wealth, women's equality, religiosity, etc. Of all these empowerment of women seems to be the most important.

Oh yes - did I leave these out? :oops:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Logan's Run

As in, advocating it? No wonder many of the younger generation are not wearing masks or socially distancing - these oldies don't deserve to live any longer. Same attitude if it hit children more than those older - after all, they haven't lived much so wouldn't have missed much? :oops: :D

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
high tech will not solve our problems

learning to cultivate will

but even then.....there is just so much chemistry