• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: The End is Nigh (for human life on Earth)

So, which of the following would you bet on as the most likely cause(s)?

• Nuclear War(s)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Ecological Collapse

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Major Asteroid Impact

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Super-Volcano (Climate change from such)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Nanotechnology runs amok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synthetic Biology (same)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artificial Intelligence (uncontrollable)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Global System Collapse/Bad Global Governance.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Notanumber

A Free Man
Both parties have feet of clay, but it's generally the left which is progressive, and the right opposing progress.
Maybe that's why the right is so keen to sweep their opposition to progress under the rug.

If progress is that good, it should be attainable without violence.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If progress is that good, it should be attainable without violence.
Agreed, but it's the right that generally resorts to violence. The left are usually idealistic, kumbaya, humanist types. The violence is instigated by right wing authoritarian, conservative types.

RWA: (Wiki)
  1. Authoritarian submission — a high degree of submissiveness to the authorities who are perceived to be established and legitimate in the society in which one lives.
  2. Authoritarian aggression — a general aggressiveness directed against deviants, outgroups and other people that are perceived to be targets according to established authorities.
  3. Conventionalism — a high degree of adherence to the traditions and social norms that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its established authorities and a belief that others in one's society should also be required to adhere to these norms.[18]

Last edited:

Notanumber

A Free Man
Agreed, but it's the right that generally resorts to violence. The left are usually idealistic, kumbaya, humanist types. The violence is instigated by right wing authoritarian, conservative types.

RWA: (Wiki)
  1. Authoritarian submission — a high degree of submissiveness to the authorities who are perceived to be established and legitimate in the society in which one lives.
  2. Authoritarian aggression — a general aggressiveness directed against deviants, outgroups and other people that are perceived to be targets according to established authorities.
  3. Conventionalism — a high degree of adherence to the traditions and social norms that are perceived to be endorsed by society and its established authorities and a belief that others in one's society should also be required to adhere to these norms.[18]

Can you link to some instances that compare to the BLM bandwagon?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
My answer is something else because "human life" to me is humanity 1.0 and is about to be replaced by humanity 2.01 (after a bug fix).

So humanity as we know it is ending but fully conscious life on Earth is not.
Is it like Microsoft then? When will God stop supporting Humanity 1.0 ? :D

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Also, disasters like droughts, volcanoes, or even civilian uprisings can generate widespread blowback and unintended consequences, to wit: the Arab Spring & al.
And a government finding itself in imminent peril might well resort to a nuclear option.
Yes, plenty a SF author has imagined various ways to end the human race as we know it, often with the unexpected consequences route. I rather like one from Joe Haldeman, in The Forever War, where instead of being ended, exactly, the human population is changed again and again, to being no long much at all like it had been, so kinda replaced. It reminds of one novel or was it a story (or stories?) I'd read (so many!), where something like cultural evolution happened to where that people were just kinda "meh" about reproducing, and faded out, caught up in other pursuits.

Last edited:

cataway

But scripture is just a story, isn't it, like Wells' War of the Worlds? There aren't any actual facts backing up this scenario.
there once lived a man ,he told the people that one day the whole city would come under siege . the siege would for no apparent reason end . the warning that was given was so that when that happen they were to then leave the city and get far away . the reason for leaving was to save their lives . the people did not know it but that siege army was going to return and this time it would stay until nearly every one in the city was dead or could no longer put-up a defense . the man that gave the warning ...was Jesus ......and i suppose you think that is also just a story...yet it happened

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is it like Microsoft then? When will God stop supporting Humanity 1.0 ? :D

Using Microsoft as an example, after Humanity 2.1 is full established extended support for Humanity 1.0 will be in effect but presumably not for too long.

But as to finding them, I can only quote from the prophet of 42 with a wee bit of updating:

“But the details including the dates were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the details and date, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
there once lived a man ,he told the people that one day the whole city would come under siege . the siege would for no apparent reason end . the warning that was given was so that when that happen they were to then leave the city and get far away . the reason for leaving was to save their lives . the people did not know it but that siege army was going to return and this time it would stay until nearly every one in the city was dead or could no longer put-up a defense . the man that gave the warning ...was Jesus ......and i suppose you think that is also just a story...yet it happened
Evidence?

cataway

Like Middle Earth and Narnia?

It's folklore.
you can check roman history ,it was the roman army that set siege and brought ruin to that city . it was because of the warning that many of the Christians at that time were not killed . Jehovah God always warns . you seen to think the warning is ridicules'. that what Jesus said will never happen in this the time of the end .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
you can check roman history ,it was the roman army that set siege and brought ruin to that city . it was because of the warning that many of the Christians at that time were not killed . Jehovah God always warns . you seen to think the warning is ridicules'. that what Jesus said will never happen in this the time of the end .
No-one's disputing well evidenced, established history, just the unevidenced folklore, miracles, divine planning and associated theology.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
the planet can support 9billion people

almost there

I doubt that is true, but it probably will depend upon where they are all living. Still, a few nice pandemics might reduce our numbers somewhat so as to postpone the problem.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I doubt that is true, but it probably will depend upon where they are all living. Still, a few nice pandemics might reduce our numbers somewhat so as to postpone the problem.
the documentary was all about how the end of us could happen

right in the middle of all the doomsayers ...one guy took five minutes to explain
the earth has chemistry/resources for 9billion people

at that point the strife begins
territory
water

Have you seen the old movie?....Soylent Green

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
the documentary was all about how the end of us could happen

right in the middle of all the doomsayers ...one guy took five minutes to explain
the earth has chemistry/resources for 9billion people

at that point the strife begins
territory
water

Have you seen the old movie?....Soylent Green

But he is still one (supposed) expert, and it not being a consensus - as far as I can tell. I have seen the film, and remember the gist of it. A bit like Logan's Run but dealing a little more practically with the problem. :hamburger: :eek:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
we humans will overrun this planet

even if a World Order could take over
the power play will be too late
and too little