• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: The End is Nigh (for human life on Earth)

So, which of the following would you bet on as the most likely cause(s)?

• Nuclear War(s)

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Ecological Collapse

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Major Asteroid Impact

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Super-Volcano (Climate change from such)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Nanotechnology runs amok

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synthetic Biology (same)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Artificial Intelligence (uncontrollable)

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Global System Collapse/Bad Global Governance.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
The AI question is a difficult one, if we begin to rely on it to run or administer our existence - where some have looked sufficiently far into the future and where we can't anticipate what such an advanced intelligence might do. Many don't seem able to anticipate such intelligences being so much more powerful than humans but I can, and like yourself, do see it as a worry.
I don't fear a sentient super AI. It will be most rational and can be reasoned with.
I fear the time just before the AI becomes conscious, the time when humans can use the thinking power without them questioning their doing. AI is a tool, a power multiplier. Like a steam engine multiplies muscle power, AI multiplies thinking power. And like the engine can be used for good or bad without a moral compass, AI can be used for bad - and it probably will be.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't fear a sentient super AI. It will be most rational and can be reasoned with.
I fear the time just before the AI becomes conscious, the time when humans can use the thinking power without them questioning their doing. AI is a tool, a power multiplier. Like a steam engine multiplies muscle power, AI multiplies thinking power. And like the engine can be used for good or bad without a moral compass, AI can be used for bad - and it probably will be.

I think there will be big issues of trust when we can't fathom why some decisions will be made and where the AI insists they are best for us - or itself. And I have worries as to how any such intelligence would react to religious beliefs and vice-versa.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes, it's an interesting poll. Good to see that only19 on RF believed in such a catastrophy.so far. Would have been nice to have the option "I do not believe in such a catastrophy to happen", to compare how many with fear and how many without fear though

Low numbers is hardly an indicator - given the numbers that usually share their thinking here. :D But perhaps I should have included a 'Not going to happen' option - since there was a spare place for such

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Low numbers is hardly an indicator - given the numbers that usually share their thinking here
It might be an indication that people do not believe in human race to be finished, or they believe humanity will be destroyed, so no use to participate in this poll anymore:D

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
I voted "Something else" as the possiblity of "General human stupidity" wasn´t an option.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I am not sure about the rest of the world but if Donald gets re-elected it will give the free world another four years before the sh*t hits the fan.

Once the Democrats take control, life won’t be worth living.
But aren't the Democrats the ones looking out for the interests of the average Joe? Aren't they the ones responsible for all the programs that have given us the freedom and prosperity we enjoy today: universal education, civil rights, universal sufferage, wage and hour laws, occupational safety regulations, banking regulations, social security, &c? Weren't all these opposed by the conservative Republicans?

The Republicans talk a good game, and have a lot of people subverting their own interests, but they are not our friends. They seek to subvert democracy. 45 Years and Counting: Sustaining Power of “The Powell Memo”

Why do you think Trump and the Republicans are your friends?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I was not thinking Yellowstone. You are aware that there are many candidate super volcanoes locations, right? If not, you can read on it quite easily, or ask me and I'll search up an article if you prefer. Nevertheless, to repeat myself, it's still not very likely, as I pointed out already.
Also, disasters like droughts, volcanoes, or even civilian uprisings can generate widespread blowback and unintended consequences, to wit: the Arab Spring & al.
And a government finding itself in imminent peril might well resort to a nuclear option.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
perhaps non of the above . scripture dose point to a time called the great tribulation . its not a earth ending event
But scripture is just a story, isn't it, like Wells' War of the Worlds? There aren't any actual facts backing up this scenario.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes, well -- you need to understand first that I don't believe in "the Lord," or any other deities for that matter. Nor Santa, pixies, unicorns, fairies, elves, ogres, demons, Satan or "ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties and things that go bump in the night" that I think any "Lord" needs to preserve us from.

And anybody who gets off on things like "woe unto them..." I find just perilously tiresome. You enjoy your woe. I prefer the reality and joy of my life.
Now you've gone too far. There are definitely things-that-go-bump-in-the-night.
They're usually my cats.....:rolleyes:

Dave Watchman

Biblical endings could have been argued for at many points in the past.

I know they were.

But it's only the one specific point in time that mattered.

I think it's the one specific point in time Isaac Newton was talking about.

Why not just accept that much of what was written was mainly about local events rather than the long-term?

Because the long term is talked about.

The 490 years of Daniel 9.

This week on the radio, the airline analyst said they didn't expect air travel to get back to pre covid-9 levels until 2055.

That's a while.

But 1535 until 2025 is a long time.

Not think every era has it's own particular set of problems - and not necessary being signs of anything other than current circumstances?

There had to be, and I'm sure there is, more than one witness to settle a matter, but I see the covid as coming right on time.

It had to show up, being "in the full view of men", by no latter than January 2020.

I was speculating on January as recently as 2017, based on the Newton count of the heptads.

So that puts us in an interesting zone.

May you live in interesting times.

May you live in interesting times - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › May_you_live_in_interesting...

"May you live in interesting times" is an English expression that purports to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse.
Origins · ‎"Chamberlain Curse" theory

"Lest I come and smite the land with utter destruction.​

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The AI question is a difficult one, if we begin to rely on it to run or administer our existence - where some have looked sufficiently far into the future and where we can't anticipate what such an advanced intelligence might do. Many don't seem able to anticipate such intelligences being so much more powerful than humans but I can, and like yourself, do see it as a worry.
AI seems to have Steven Hawking's vote: Hawking: AI could end human race

Notanumber

A Free Man
But aren't the Democrats the ones looking out for the interests of the average Joe? Aren't they the ones responsible for all the programs that have given us the freedom and prosperity we enjoy today: universal education, civil rights, universal sufferage, wage and hour laws, occupational safety regulations, banking regulations, social security, &c? Weren't all these opposed by the conservative Republicans?

The Republicans talk a good game, and have a lot of people subverting their own interests, but they are not our friends. They seek to subvert democracy. 45 Years and Counting: Sustaining Power of “The Powell Memo”

Do you know the history of the Democratic Party?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I think you give the Democrats far too much credit.
Our civil rights laws are from mostly Pubs (fought by Dems, eg, Robt Byrd).
But Democrats did give us slavery...the gift that keeps on giving.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do you know the history of the Democratic Party?
You're baiting me, aren't you ;) -- trying to get me to equate the old 'Dixicrats' with the mainstream Democrats, or maybe you're going to point out that Lincoln was a Republican.

Let me clarify, then. The Left, or progressives, usually represented by the Democrats, are the ones promoting social reform and advocating for the interests of the common man. The Conservatives, or Right, are usually the ones promoting the interests of business and banking, in most cases opposing progress and regulation of industry's ability to exploit the masses.

Now my turn to ask: Do you know the history of American industry, banking and social reform?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think you give the Democrats far too much credit.
Our civil rights laws are from mostly Pubs (fought by Dems, eg, Robt Byrd).
But Democrats did give us slavery...the gift that keeps on giving.
Slavery was well established long before either party existed.
I do agree with Thomas Frank, though; the Democrats, too, have sold out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Slavery was well established long before either party existed.
I do agree with Thomas Frank, though; the Democrats, too, have sold out.
Democrats fought tooth & nail to keep & even expand it.
And after losing that battle, they instituted Jim Crow.

I wouldn't trumpet either party as being responsible for
all the best things in Ameristan. Both have checkered
pasts & presents.

Notanumber

A Free Man
You're baiting me, aren't you ;) -- trying to get me to equate the old 'Dixicrats' with the mainstream Democrats, or maybe you're going to point out that Lincoln was a Republican.

Let me clarify, then. The Left, or progressives, usually represented by the Democrats, are the ones promoting social reform and advocating for the interests of the common man. The Conservatives, or Right, are usually the ones promoting the interests of business and banking, in most cases opposing progress and regulation of industry's ability to exploit the masses.

Now my turn to ask: Do you know the history of American industry, banking and social reform?

No doubt, you are itching to tell us.

The Democratic Party does not have a history to be proud of.

Maybe that is why the Left is so keen to erase history.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I know they were.

But it's only the one specific point in time that mattered.

I think it's the one specific point in time Isaac Newton was talking about.

Because the long term is talked about.

The 490 years of Daniel 9.

This week on the radio, the airline analyst said they didn't expect air travel to get back to pre covid-9 levels until 2055.

That's a while.

But 1535 until 2025 is a long time.

There had to be, and I'm sure there is, more than one witness to settle a matter, but I see the covid as coming right on time.

It had to show up, being "in the full view of men", by no latter than January 2020.

I was speculating on January as recently as 2017, based on the Newton count of the heptads.

So that puts us in an interesting zone.

May you live in interesting times.

May you live in interesting times - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org › wiki › May_you_live_in_interesting...

"May you live in interesting times" is an English expression that purports to be a translation of a traditional Chinese curse.
Origins · ‎"Chamberlain Curse" theory

"Lest I come and smite the land with utter destruction.​

Believe any writings you like but you have as much evidence as the next person believing some other religion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No doubt, you are itching to tell us.

The Democratic Party does not have a history to be proud of.

Maybe that is why the Left is so keen to erase history.
Both parties have feet of clay, but it's generally the left which is progressive, and the right opposing progress.
Maybe that's why the right is so keen to sweep their opposition to progress under the rug.