• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poll: Protests and Coronavirus

Will the actions of Black Lives Matter protesters lead to more Coronavirus deaths?

• Yes, but they have a right to protest. But church and conservative protests must be banned.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Yes, and they should be arrested and quarantined.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, but everyone, liberal and conservative, has the right to assemble and protest.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No. Their protests won't lead to more coronavirus deaths, but conservative protests will.

• No. I don't believe any mass gatherings will spread coronavirus.

• Total voters

Rational Agnostic

So, what do ya think? Is it OK for liberals to spread coronavirus and not conservatives? Are the BLM protests justified because of their importance, even if they lead to coronavirus deaths? No doubt this will be a controversial thread but I'm ready for the responses. :)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
To explain further, I'm not sure those who are for protests are against conservatives protesting. But yeah, I'm sure some of us don't think churches should be opened back up, yet. Really things are going too fast everywhere and it's going to lead to a high number of infections.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
My view isn't represented.

I think that if *social distancing* is maintained, protests can be allowed. For example, the protest I went to maintained distance and still got the point across.

The 'conservatives' were protesting the social distancing and other aspects of the lockdown itself and not keeping the distancing required. That is a problem.

Those who are violating social distance provisions in the current protests should be condemned as spreading this virus. Should they be arrested? No more than the conservative protesters who ignored social distancing.

I note that most of the liberal protesters have masks on. The conservatives did not.

Those rioters (on the left or right) who are destroying property or looting should be condemned for their actions as well.

Rational Agnostic

My view isn't represented.

I think that if *social distancing* is maintained, protests can be allowed. For example, the protest I went to maintained distance and still got the point across.

The 'conservatives' were protesting the social distancing and other aspects of the lockdown itself and not keeping the distancing required. That is a problem.

Those who are violating social distance provisions in the current protests should be condemned as spreading this virus. Should they be arrested? No more than the conservative protesters who ignored social distancing.

I note that most of the liberal protesters have masks on. The conservatives did not.

Those rioters (on the left or right) who are destroying property or looting should be condemned for their actions as well.

Hmm. Interesting point, but I have seen conservative protesters wearing masks and liberal protesters not wearing masks. I don't know what the actual percentages are of each. Also I would note that most of the liberal protesters seemed to be far greater in terms of numbers and people out of control. Even with masks, it's possible that these protests could spread the virus more. Minneapolis may well become the next epicenter of coronavirus.

Rational Agnostic

And, we are opening up *way* too fast. There will be a second wave and it will likely be worse than the first.

I agree. But part of the problem was the lack of nuance in the original message. Telling everyone to "just stay home" was ridiculous IMO. There are some activities that you can do outside the home that carry minimal to no risk of spreading coronavirus. For instance, skate parks were filled with dirt in California. So, the same kids who would've normally gone to play outside and probably maintain a social distance instead likely gathered inside to play video games in close proximity and spread germs. The closing of parks, especially in non-urban areas was counter-productive in my opinion.

Rational Agnostic

Only because the poll is mostly comprised of questions that are loaded rubbish. It's not as interesting or "controversial" a thread as you seem to think.

Hmm. I'm not sure. I've seen various forum members suggest that churchgoers who defy stay at home orders should be arrested and quarantined while simultaneously defending the recent BLM protests. I think there is a double standard among many people. Perhaps the options seem loaded, but I only worded them that way to help the double standard become exposed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, what do ya think? Is it OK for liberals to spread coronavirus and not conservatives? Are the BLM protests justified because of their importance, even if they lead to coronavirus deaths? No doubt this will be a controversial thread but I'm ready for the responses. :)
I picked the middle one, but with the provision that the
behavior be safe, eg, social distancing, masks, non-violent.

Btw, I know from harsh experience that whatever poll
questions I pose, they're always inadequate in some way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
And, we are opening up *way* too fast. There will be a second wave and it will likely be worse than the first.
That's why I've cut back on my outings even further. Here in this part of California it'll be about a week and I fear a very hot summer will begin.

Rational Agnostic

Exactly. Loaded polls aren't even worth the time.

Loaded? What about double standards? Liberals were previously encouraging police to arrest people for attending funerals. But looting, rioting, and other mass gatherings that will certainly spread Coronavirus faster than anything we've seen? Oh, that stuff is all good.:facepalm:

Wandering Monk

A pretty pathetic post. Some peaceful folks out there will die either from Corona virus or police violence. At least they will die for a good cause. Meanwhile you post this s**t.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I picked the middle one, but with the provision that the
behavior be safe, eg, social distancing, masks, non-violent.

Btw, I know from harsh experience that whatever poll
questions I pose, they're always inadequate in some way.
You're not a professional pollster. If you were, they would still be inadequate in some way at least to me. I've abandoned professional polls because the answers were stupidly chosen.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

First I seem to recall several protests by conservative groups concerning opening up the jobs and churches.

Stopping major protests whether by conservative, liberals or any large group will lead to more civil unrest and disobedience and locking them up will do the same and turn the public against you.

Is the spreading of corona virus a concern; Yes, but civil war would be a disaster.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're not a professional pollster. If you were, they would still be inadequate in some way at least to me. I've abandoned professional polls because the answers were stupidly chosen.
Still, I think some of us on RF could be kinder &
more helpful to those of us who create polls.
Shouldn't RF be welcoming instead of hostile?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. I'm not sure. I've seen various forum members suggest that churchgoers who defy stay at home orders should be arrested and quarantined while simultaneously defending the recent BLM protests. I think there is a double standard among many people. Perhaps the options seem loaded, but I only worded them that way to help the double standard become exposed.

I don't think they should be arrested. I do see them as irresponsible and as putting the lives of others in danger.

Do you at least admit that the number of deaths from COVID is more than that for auto accidents in a year (which you said would not happen)?