• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Poking fun at door to door evangelists

keithnurse

I found a really funny film on youtube called "Kissing Hanks ***" About two door to door evangelists inviting people to kissing hanks *** or he'll kick the **** out of them.

It's a hilarious parody of the reasoning religious fundamentalists of all religions use to support their beliefs. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I've read that joke before. Didn't know there was a movie for it.
I've had some fun myself at the expense of door to door God salesmen.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I saw a cartoon with two men in buzz cuts and suits, with Bibles, at someone's door. The caption said, "Hello, sir. We're here to quote from the Bible and make you feel like a piece of crap. May we come in?"

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
I see no reason for any action against door-to-door evangelizers... unless they won't go away... if they are cuteous, you should as well...

They are, generally, only out trying to do good by you...

logician

I see no reason for any action against door-to-door evangelizers... unless they won't go away... if they are cuteous, you should as well...

Except that evangelistic religions have done more harm than most any entity ever created.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I found a really funny film on youtube called "Kissing Hanks ***" About two door to door evangelists inviting people to kissing hanks *** or he'll kick the **** out of them.

It's a hilarious parody of the reasoning religious fundamentalists of all religions use to support their beliefs. www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDp7pkEcJVQ

I watched the first half. I consider myself as someone with a good sense of humor and I try not to take myself too seriously. But this video was not funny and it bothered me. It's sad to think that people see a relationship with God as the proposed relationship to "Hank". It's so far from the truth, that it was sad and not funny to me. Maybe I missed something more profound and meaningful in the last half?

keithnurse

I watched the first half. I consider myself as someone with a good sense of humor and I try not to take myself too seriously. But this video was not funny and it bothered me. It's sad to think that people see a relationship with God as the proposed relationship to "Hank". It's so far from the truth, that it was sad and not funny to me. Maybe I missed something more profound and meaningful in the last half?
In the second half they talk about the list that "Hank" dictated to Karl. It is an exact parallel to the way many religious people reason based on their "holy scriptures".

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I think that is the point, it is sad when people see their relationship with “God” as like the relationship describe with “Hank”. But more to the point, it is sad, absurd and ridiculous when those people go door to door trying to sell this kind of relationship to others. You may believe that there is something much deeper in your relationship to “God”, but the points people generally emphasis when trying to sell it are exactly the same points emphasized in the relationship with Hank.

This is actually a very good representation of how door to door evangelism is often perceived. And as I have previously commented, people who engage in this kind of activity would benefit greatly by trying to understand this.

And as for the movie, it was badly acted and the casting was terrible. I much preferred the book.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

I try to be polite. But when they wont take a "no thank you, I'm not interested in Christianity" and won't leave me alone is when the antics and gimmicks come out.

spearman

what in the world does this have to do with debate relgion? more like a group of athiests who saw a comic or movie and are making fun of christianity?

moderators where are you on this one this has nothing to do with debate and everything to do with just a bunch of people "Poking fun at door to door evangelists" but noooo we cant poke a little fun with anybody else can we. I wonder how fast this thread would be deleted if it contained a link to a christian kicking the sutt out of a athiest or a new ager?

Last edited:

keithnurse

what in the world does this have to do with debate relgion? more like a group of athiests who saw a comic or movie and are making fun of christianity?

moderators where are you on this one this has nothing to do with debate and everything to do with just a bunch of people "Poking fun at door to door evangelists" but noooo we cant poke a little fun with anybody else can we. I wonder how fast this thread would be deleted if it contained a link to a christian kicking the sutt out of a athiest or a new ager?
The movie linked to in the OP doesn't involve anyone "kicking the sutt out of anyone". It makes fun of the reasoning door to door evangelists use to try to persuade people to believe what the evangelist believes. That is a perfectly legitamate subject for debate about religion. If you want to make a video that makes fun of atheists and/or new agers, then stop whining and do it.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
moderators where are you on this one this has nothing to do with debate and everything to do with just a bunch of people "Poking fun at door to door evangelists" but noooo we cant poke a little fun with anybody else can we.
Moderation is right here, and enjoying it :D

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

The difference is that it's satire with a valid moral to the story. It's just not "making fun", but making a point.

logician

Besides a very occasional Jehovah's witness,I thought door-to-door evangelism simply was not done by most denominations any more.