• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pets are a Waste of Money

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the curious things about the human animal is that we value different things and craft all sorts of diverse ethical systems based on those values. It's interesting to observe, and we don't all agree with each other. I'm pretty live-and-let live when it comes to what other people select as values and reserve judgement, but every so often, someone's ethical framework simply horrifies me. I had a moment like that yesterday.

Apparently, some people believe that pets are a waste of money. While it's okay to spend inordinate sums of money to raise human children, having pets is a complete waste of money. It's perfectly okay to give your human animal proper medical care, but the moment the conversation shifts to a non-human animal, it's a waste of money.

Specism has always appalled me, but for someone to call caring for a non-human animal a "waste of money" was more than I could stomach. I fundamentally do not understand how anyone can justify such a categorial distinction between human animals and non-human animals. If non-human animals are a "waste of money," so too must be the human animals. Period.

But what do you guys think?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have pets, & I have kids.
The former are disposable, the latter worth the vast fortune I've lavished upon them.
It's unfair, but it's just how things are.
I am a "spigot" (species bigot).

Reactions: MD

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
More than just refusing them medical care, I've heard some people even raise them to kill and eat!

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
One of the curious things about the human animal is that we value different things and craft all sorts of diverse ethical systems based on those values. It's interesting to observe, and we don't all agree with each other. I'm pretty live-and-let live when it comes to what other people select as values and reserve judgement, but every so often, someone's ethical framework simply horrifies me. I had a moment like that yesterday.

Apparently, some people believe that pets are a waste of money. While it's okay to spend inordinate sums of money to raise human children, having pets is a complete waste of money. It's perfectly okay to give your human animal proper medical care, but the moment the conversation shifts to a non-human animal, it's a waste of money.

Specism has always appalled me, but for someone to call caring for a non-human animal a "waste of money" was more than I could stomach. I fundamentally do not understand how anyone can justify such a categorial distinction between human animals and non-human animals. If non-human animals are a "waste of money," so too must be the human animals. Period.

But what do you guys think?

To put is simply, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thank you for being one of those who cares.

Nymphs

Seeing the amount of emotional and psychological wellness my pet has brought to me, I fully believe she isn't a waste of money.

seeking4truth

I think it depends on your situation and need. Many animals play an important role in human society.
I do agree that too much money is spent on pets that are treated as children. There are human children that would like what those pets get.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
I think it depends on your situation and need. Many animals play an important role in human society.
I do agree that too much money is spent on pets that are treated as children. There are human children that would like what those pets get.

This is very true as well.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I have pets, & I have kids.
The former are disposable, the latter worth the vast fortune I've lavished upon them.
It's unfair, but it's just how things are.
I am a "spigot" (species bigot).

I don't understand how non-human animals are somehow disposable but humans aren't. It doesn't make sense, and it's not "just how things are;" in a value-neutral scheme, everything is "disposable" in the sense that all things will pass out of being in the great cycles that govern our realm. Humans are governed by this as much as any other animal. The only reason I can think of to have a view some beings as disposable yet not others is to rationalize deplorable ethical treatment of that particular being. That's a frightening mindset given what it can lead to.

Wirey

Fartist
Oooh, I think I'm about to get beat up.

I used to run a trap line, and I can say without hesitation that the life of an animal does not have the same value as the life of a human. I've heard my sister cry because she was hungry, and if peeling a raccoon can fix that, then peeled it shall be. First, each individual human has the capacity to better the species. Name any dog or walrus (except Rin Tin Tin) that did as much for it's species as Einstien, Da Vinci, or Jeter. There are none. We are self-aware, and capable of empathy, and capable of rational thought, and that makes us better than the rest of the animals on earth. Second, human pelts aren't worth as much as you'd think.

That said, I wouldn't call pets a waste of money. If you own five cats and have never donated to a Food Bank I'd call you a waste of skin, but it's not the cat's fault.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Oooh, I think I'm about to get beat up.

I used to run a trap line, and I can say without hesitation that the life of an animal does not have the same value as the life of a human. I've heard my sister cry because she was hungry, and if peeling a raccoon can fix that, then peeled it shall be. First, each individual human has the capacity to better the species. Name any dog or walrus (except Rin Tin Tin) that did as much for it's species as Einstien, Da Vinci, or Jeter. There are none. We are self-aware, and capable of empathy, and capable of rational thought, and that makes us better than the rest of the animals on earth. Second, human pelts aren't worth as much as you'd think.

That said, I wouldn't call pets a waste of money. If you own five cats and have never donated to a Food Bank I'd call you a waste of skin, but it's not the cat's fault.

Animals in the wild aren't someone's pet.