• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pet peeves, annoyances

My pet peeve is Secular Humanists

He's like John Gray - an atheist who seems to despise all other atheists (can't be a member of THAT club), and being such feels he has to distance himself from anything he might have in common with them. :D

We have nothing against atheists, just Secular Humanists, and we don't hate them, just find them mildly ridiculous.

Secular humanism is a Protestant sect anyway so not even sure they should be considered proper atheists :relieved::smilingimp:

Another pet peeve is that people here endlessly note that atheism is simply "a lack of belief in gods, nothing more, nothing less", then find it surprising when an atheist turns out not to be a generic secular humanist :neutral:

One of the worst things in the world is when you think you are going to sneeze and you prepare to sneeze, then you don't sneeze :emojconfused:

Feels like you have been cheated out of a soothing relief :pensive:

Everybody complains about the weather - but nobody is doing something against it.

Personally, I'm making my own contributions towards faster global warming.

If only there were more civic minded people like me we'd have nothing to complain about :blacksunrays:

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Wow. Thread went elsewhere. Nice. At least it keeps going unlike my other threads.
That happens a lot. One minute you explaining how the global flood is mythological and the next you are arguing with a mouse that thinks it knows biology but hasn't got a clue.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
When an interesting debate turns into 'prove my faith/non faith is correct' thread, even though it doesn't have anything to do with the OP.
For the most part, I do not mind when a thread I have made goes a different direction in places. I can always guide it back if it gets to out of hand. I do understand that other original authors might not appreciate it though. Sometimes it is difficult to know if you come in during the middle and don't go back to the OP. I think that happens a lot.

Viker

Häxan
For the most part, I do not mind when a thread I have made goes a different direction in places. I can always guide it back if it gets to out of hand. I do understand that other original authors might not appreciate it though. Sometimes it is difficult to know if you come in during the middle and don't go back to the OP. I think that happens a lot.
Tis why I carefully placed in the jokes section.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Tis why I carefully placed in the jokes section.
I wonder about how to place mine too. I can get rather sarcastic and irreverent in my posting. I try to never post anything I do not intend, but when I am tired many things can go out the window. Good judgement and filters too.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I appreciate a fresh diversion, but sometimes some of the same 'ol arguments get boring. And when they appear in a fresh thread... well...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I appreciate a fresh diversion, but sometimes some of the same 'ol arguments get boring. And when they appear in a fresh thread... well...

I agree about the same ole arguments. Some of them are very nomadic and move from thread to thread. You never know where they will pop up.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
We have nothing against atheists, just Secular Humanists, and we don't hate them, just find them mildly ridiculous.

Secular humanism is a Protestant sect anyway so not even sure they should be considered proper atheists :relieved::smilingimp:

Another pet peeve is that people here endlessly note that atheism is simply "a lack of belief in gods, nothing more, nothing less", then find it surprising when an atheist turns out not to be a generic secular humanist :neutral:
Even if a sensible set of aims coincided with some Protestant sect they would still be sensible, particular if anyone adopting them wasn't bothered where they came from. I wouldn't expect all atheists to have the same beliefs or lack of them. I suppose my beef with Secular Humanists is in the title - seeing life itself as being more important than just humans.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
  1. People that unnecessarily back into parking spaces, especially when they're not good at it and they make 4-5 point turns and hold everybody up or get angry if they're not perfectly "in" yet and you try to drive past to get on with your @*#%@*# business.
  2. Open-mouth chewing.
  3. In another thread I already mentioned this pet peeve: I have a speech disorder (aphonia) and it annoys me when people awkwardly find out (I don't talk) and more awkwardly fall all over themselves to apologize, especially if they assumed I was being a jerk not immediately responding. Happens at new jobs, new classes, etc. Chill dude, it's fine ^.^
  4. Cat hair on clothes no matter how well-washed and/or lint rolled
  5. People that shout for you to hold the elevator from across a building.
  6. "Close door" elevator buttons that don't work.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Not sure that I posted this but, I don't tend to have such, in general, although I would like to slice and dice the penny-pinching morons who make our lives that much more miserable by making just-bad-enough products - you know, the ones that are almost good enough if a tiny bit more was spent on them and/or a slight modification to the design/production would do so, but which wasn't done presumably because profit is so much more important. I'd even design the Hell that any who fit into this category deserve to be placed - and preferably now! :mad:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think an annoyance I have is that I seem to somehow act in a more likeable way around people I can't really stand rather than people that I think I can get along well with. It's not something I do intentionally, either.