• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Shrines/Altars/Places of Meditation or Religious Introspection...

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I can't compete with Ingledsva's beautiful shrine, nor show you pictures of mine, but I have a chest-top with
> statues of my household gods: Hestia, Hekate, Asklepios, and Tyche
> picture(s) of the god(s) with a festival in the current month: from today, Zeus and Hera
> candles and an incense burner
> receptacles for offerings

Thanks for the comments, - and those from everyone else as well.

There is no competition in Altars. :) They come from the individual heart.

Mine was actually far less expensive then it looks.

I went to a discount online furniture store, - put "hall tables" in the search (because they are meant to go flat against a wall, and are narrow,) found this one, and it soon arrived in pieces in a big box.

I already had the katana, and the male and female statues (for balance.)

The small brass items, and the blue and silver jar, are from my thrift store hunts. I love thrift stores. :)

The dagger in the center on the wall, was a birthday gift.

And the blue bowl in the center is an electronic misting bowl. It makes a swirling cloud of mist. I use it for meditation, and scrying exercises.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
5498-49ae269e72dd02ab12fda3f9c50fa965.jpg
5499-04e62f57f2b5ef60e0d4b6dc85b6eed9.jpg
5500-db67b9e93ba8686bb83d5cb8067197ea.jpg

Altar at Aupmanyav's house for the rest of the family (Aupmanyav himself is an atheist). Used twice daily by wife and mother. Other members bow there before going out. Wife's ritual is the longest because she will wash the utensils, wipe or wash deity images and idols, dress the idols, offer flowers, apply red paste, rice, light the lamp and incense, recite the prayers. Significance: remember the deities and pray to spend the day according to dharma.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I've always loved the look of horned altars of the ancient Semites/Canaanites. No one seems to sell them, otherwise I might be tempted to grab an incense altar. Something like ..
Why say ancient? Things essentially remain the same in India. You can buy these in India in any number and even on Amazon here (Tulsi planters). We use these to plant Holy Basil (Tulsi) which Hindu women will worship first thing in the morning.

You will find them in variations in all Hindu houses, horned or without horns. They are available in various designs, various sizes, various materials costing less than a dollar (terracotta) to hundreds of dollars (marble with intricate carvings).

5167pdtfwEL._SY300_.jpg
ST_2_WM_250x250.jpg
e81d52681859f546e24523063af22bed.jpg

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=T...ved=0ahUKEwjb_PDMsKjKAhVQao4KHSsgCeYQ_AUIBigB

Corthos

Great Old One
5498-49ae269e72dd02ab12fda3f9c50fa965.jpg
5499-04e62f57f2b5ef60e0d4b6dc85b6eed9.jpg

Altar at Aupmanyav's house for the rest of the family (Aupmanyav himself is an atheist). Used twice daily by wife and mother. Other members bow there before going out. Wife's ritual is the longest because she will wash the utensils, wipe or wash deity images and idols, dress the idols, offer flowers, apply red paste, rice, light the lamp and incense, recite the prayers. Significance: remember the deities and pray to spend the day according to dharma.

How beautiful. =) I've always loved the way Indian artistry looks.....It's so intricate.

Why say ancient? Things essentially remain the same in India. You can buy these in India in any number and even on Amazon here (Tulsi planters). We use these to plant Holy Basil (Tulsi) which Hindu women will worship first thing in the morning.

You will find them in variations in all Hindu houses, horned or without horns. They are available in various designs, various sizes, various materials costing less than a dollar (terracotta) to hundreds of dollars (marble with intricate carvings).

5167pdtfwEL._SY300_.jpg
ST_2_WM_250x250.jpg
e81d52681859f546e24523063af22bed.jpg

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=T...ved=0ahUKEwjb_PDMsKjKAhVQao4KHSsgCeYQ_AUIBigB

Can I just say, I love you, man. =) I'm going to look into this for sure.... The terracotta planter on the right looks absolutely PERFECT.

Hmmm... Quick question that's of topic. When did you decide that Atheism was for you, and how did your family take it when you revealed to them how you felt?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tulasi Puja (Tulasi is supposed to be married to Lord Vishnu):

aug1321choodipooje1.jpg
Tulsi puja.png

More here: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Tulsi+puja&newwindow=1&rlz=1C1LENP_enIN576IN576&espv=2&biw=1455&bih=705&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi5q_nn3qjKAhXOwY4KHUToADwQsAQIIA#q=Tulsi+puja&newwindow=1&tbm=isch&tbs=isz:m&imgrc=ErpkfJCnnS96TM:

We do not reveal these things because the family can see the progression of thoughts clearly over the years. I started in my young days, discussing things with my grandfather, who though was an orthodox Hindu, a historian, and a Sanskrit Scholar, but accepted the advances in science. He wrote a score of books including three on RigVeda and translated B.G. Tilak's "Arctic Home in Vedas" and "Orion, or the Researches on the Antiquity of Vedas" in Hindi. He also wrote an 8,000 verse smriti (Vishweshwara Smriti) in 1950. Oscillated between being a theist and an atheist for a few decades and finally chose to be a strong atheist, but have abandoned neither my religion, Hinduism, nor my culture for the last three decades. So, everyone knows it. Such changes of views and personal investigations are considered normal in Hinduism. A verse from my grandfather's book:

"Saiva tāpe prakāshe cha chumbake vidyudādishu, bhuvi graheshu sūryeshu cha sarvatrāstīti nishchitam." (1.25)
That energy certainly exists everywhere in heat, light, magnetism, electricity, etc., and in Earth, Planets and Sun.

He has an incomplete mention in Wikipedia and I am a lazy bone not to update it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishweshwar_Nath_Reu

ps. - You would notice that ladies are touching each other on hands. That is supposed to convey the devotion of every woman in the congregation if they happen to be far from the front-lines. :D

Last edited:

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

This is my altar that I have im my cabinet. I am influenced by Hare Krishna but I guess it wouldn't qualify as an actual Hare Krishna altar as it doesn't feature their founder, whom I don't believe to have quasi god-like status.

I have the altar in my cupboard so that I can close the doors when I am not worshipping.

I chose Vishnu (with 4 arms) as well as Krishna (with 2 arms) because Krishna is the avatar of Vishnu, which is shown on the central yellow picture. I chose this picture because it shows a scene from the Bhagavad Gita and I like to read the Bhagavad Gita a lot.

I perform the arati ceremony (circling lights in front of the deity) and I offer flowers, water and incense sticks regularly.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe

Altar at Aupmanyav's house for the rest of the family (Aupmanyav himself is an atheist). Used twice daily by wife and mother.

@Aupmanyav It is very interesting that you get along with religious family members while being an atheist. I suppose it's live and let live, right? And Krishna the butter thief is just too cute. :hearteyes:

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
This chaos is normal, even accidental is normal. Worlds will collide. Nothing will be boring unless you hide from it. If you just hide away, your blood stops circulating properly and you might still be alive but bed ridden with very fat "legs". Think about it. Why do you PAY to ride on the Indiana Jones Ride? You paid to get on this ride, too. But maybe you don't remember buying the ticket, but secretly maybe you sort of do.

So yes, I have personal shrines and they are part of the living Art and powers in my ride.

But I don't really share pictures of my shrines, temples, Murtis, etc much because I guess I am a bit superstitious based on various histories/leelas/traditions such as how Ravana's "klan murti" was seen (in this case in person) by a "saintly" relative and it is a long story but the Goddess murti of the Ravana Klan was "kidnapped" and then this sort of messed up a balance of power for BOTH sides ...

... so it depends on the murti and the situation, you want to bring only "good stuff" for others and not situational "bad luck" trips and trip ups to yourself nor to others.

For example, maybe you should not bring "Johnny boy" to the attention of "Devi (xyz)" enshrined in your personal temple, She might think - if only for a second - "Johnny boy, well well - hmmm, I think I might want to eat you, you naughty boy!" ... and like She isn't (going to eat him) but it sets into motion something and it's a long story.

So call me "superstitious" or whatever, that's ok, and each person can make their own decision on what they do and who am I to tell someone else anything, I am not exactly an authority of anything.

I do have sort of a funny story... will get to that, but first-

... There is one Murti that is ALWAYS ok to share and sharing only bringst. the "good stuff" to "guests", and that is Radha-Krishna, and I've shared mine in the past anyway so no problem:

- so here is my Kamala Naya and Lalita

A7Gqgo.jpg

Here is an example of a shrine, I know lots of folks do not like "cluttered" but typically the Hindu shrine is in fact a Murti with other (sometimes LOTS of other) smaller murtis and also often LOTS of "God pictures" ... actually this one is a temple, but you get the idea.

HCE5Xp.jpg

Now the "funny" story. A long, long time ago I used to be sort of a "driver" for a couple of Brahmin Pujaris, would drive them sort of like a "butler" (?) to people's homes who paid for the service to have a puja in their own home to their personal shrine. I would also double not just as the driver - these pujaris didn't have their own car nor even a drivers license - but also their "personal security" in case some joker on the street or other would try to mess with them in public due to their "odd attire" or whatever (I kept a baseball bat handy).

So I took these two Pujaris to a rather very expensive home of an Indian family in San Francisco that was near Golden Gate Park. Now I would not actually participate in the puja, the Brahmins did that, I was a "sidekick" in a nice pastel or white shirt like the American "good boy" ("Look! he is a Hindu! NICE BOY - loves Indian food!") ...

So we go in, there is small talk in which I don't know what they are saying, and cut to the chase, we are taken to a closet. But it had fancy doors. So the puja is going to begin, the Mother of the house proudly opens these doors which were made of some fancy wood and swung out left and right from the middle latch - and there was the shrine!

Woooo... nice.

But... it was in a closet and the murtis which were Sita-Ram, Shaligram Shila, others, were on this table, and you had to sort of "reach in" to do whatever the pujari is doing, and ... bell ringing, fan, incense waving, puja lamp and so on ...

... and I swear to God, one of the Pujaris turns to get something and like his dhoti caught something in the closet which was PACKED with shiny things, and he turns moving towards some plate to get as he steps out from the closet which pulls something that grabbed this other thing and - the Murtis fall off the table!

... like the other Pujari is rushing to catch the murtis, they actually catch one just as it hits the floor but another clangs against a metal cup and it's bad, real bad - disaster actually, a metal candlestick also goes down (bizaare, metal candle stick??? not... appropriate) then the Mother is in the mix trying to catch things - and don't blame me, I was off "on the side" and had nothing to do with this total embarrassment (don't look at me! It wasn't me! It was HIM!), but still felt totally embarrassed...

... yet the Mother then laughs, as the Pujaris are begging forgiveness to the Lady, Murtis, so on, touching head or such things, bowing as "all is made well again", the Lady "it's ok, it happens!" laughing (why is she speaking English now? SHE THINKS I CAUSED IT?!?) .... and ...

Maybe a shrine should not be "too cluttered".

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

This is my altar that I have im my cabinet. I am influenced by Hare Krishna but I guess it wouldn't qualify as an actual Hare Krishna altar as it doesn't feature their founder, whom I don't believe to have quasi god-like status.
I think you have them, the two dancing figures on left. Lord Vishnu's picture is just magnificent, kudos to whoever painted that. And you have worshiped the Lord with beautiful flowers. I think, there is a particular flower that he likes but cannot remember the name. Probably some other member (Nitai, Ratiben - I am missing her) will inform us.
@Aupmanyav It is very interesting that you get along with religious family members while being an atheist. I suppose it's live and let live, right? And Krishna the butter thief is just too cute. :hearteyes:
Never had any problems. If the deities are Gods/Goddesses to my family, they are dearest culture figures to me. And they don't care about my atheism because I am with them in all rituals. I respect tradition also. I am just academically an atheist, atheist only, if that is brought up in a discussion.

Last edited: