• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Shrines/Altars/Places of Meditation or Religious Introspection...

Corthos

Great Old One
I'm curious to know if any of you have a personal space in your homes (or in your yards) for religious activity or meditation. What setups do you folks have? How are they displayed, and why is it important that they are arranged that way? Do you use them daily? I'd even like to know some of the rituals you might perform there, and what their significance might be.

Thanks! =)

Deidre

When I was exploring Buddhism, I created a serene space in my bedroom for meditation. It's still there, and I sometimes pray now there. Light candles. Play meditative music. It almost feels like I'm being lifted away to another world. It's not necessary certainly, but creating a special space for prayer can help to quiet the mind a bit more than if I'm praying in another part of my home, where I hear the noise from outside, etc. :) I'm also into yoga, and I use this special quiet place for that too, and it brings physical and spiritual together. I love it.

ThirtyThree

I'm curious to know if any of you have a personal space in your homes (or in your yards) for religious activity or meditation. What setups do you folks have? How are they displayed, and why is it important that they are arranged that way? Do you use them daily? I'd even like to know some of the rituals you might perform there, and what their significance might be.

Thanks! =)

I do have a personal space. however I believe the ultimate temple is the body of the adherent. It is a temple you take with you everywhere. This is also why I do not have tattoos and while I may get one eventually, it must represent my faith properly. I have actually been considering a tattoo for over fourteen years now and have had the design for twelve. That I view my body to be a temple is also why I do not poison my body by smoking, drinking or doing drugs.

Corthos

Great Old One
I do have a personal space. however I believe the ultimate temple is the body of the adherent. It is a temple you take with you everywhere. This is also why I do not have tattoos and while I may get one eventually, it must represent my faith properly. I have actually been considering a tattoo for over fourteen years now and have had the design for twelve. That I view my body to be a temple is also why I do not poison my body by smoking, drinking or doing drugs.

Hmm... When I was a Christian, the "body is a temple" analogy was used often from fellow church-goers. If you don't mind me asking (and deviating from the topic slightly), did you used to be a Christian, or is this an ideal you have internalized outside of that faith? =)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are multiple spaces in my home that have religious significance. I have an entire room dedicated to practice, plus four Elemental shrines, and a few other shrines here and there. Setup is always a mix of practicality/functionality and aesthetics. One area gets used inevitably on a daily basis.

The possible outdoor spaces are innumerable, though there are two or three in particular that I favor. Gardening outside - particularly the prairie restoration I have going - is definitely a religious activity. There's a place in a local woods and another nearer to my current dwelling where I honor the local gods/spirits.

Corthos

Great Old One
There are multiple spaces in my home that have religious significance. I have an entire room dedicated to practice, plus four Elemental shrines, and a few other shrines here and there. Setup is always a mix of practicality/functionality and aesthetics. One area gets used inevitably on a daily basis.

The possible outdoor spaces are innumerable, though there are two or three in particular that I favor. Gardening outside - particularly the prairie restoration I have going - is definitely a religious activity. There's a place in a local woods and another nearer to my current dwelling where I honor the local gods/spirits.

Thank you for that. I would like to say that I love what you have to say about local gods and spirits... I've taken to learning about the stories/traditions and religious practices of my local area pre-European immigration/conquest, and it gives context, and a deeper appreciation for your surroundings (I feel). =)

vaguelyhumanoid

I have a simple, aniconic Heathen shrine in my room. It's got a model tree representing Yggdrasil, two raven feathers representing Huginn and Muninn, a drawing I did of a forested mountainside (kinda representing Midgard) and candles with colors linked to various deities. When I'm not wearing my mjölnir pendant I hang it on one of the tree branches. The aniconism isn't for any religious reason, more for a financial one - I do have a few images of gods elsewhere in my room but they wouldn't fit on my shrine proper.

ThirtyThree

Hmm... When I was a Christian, the "body is a temple" analogy was used often from fellow church-goers. If you don't mind me asking (and deviating from the topic slightly), did you used to be a Christian, or is this an ideal you have internalized outside of that faith? =)

I was raised to choose my own religion and my views have formed over the years.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Thanks! =)

I have a main altar on one side of my apartment living room with the Gohonzon, family pictures, and birthday cards for my grandmothers. I have sutras and journals. Its my reflective area, my whole living room. I dont have much furniture for that reason. I have an altar on a window sill where I offer water to the sun every morning and every evening, I poor the water out and the rest over me. Reminds me of purity, birth, and origin.

I have a divination altar on the floor opposite my main altar where I use rocks to divine what element I will focus my attention on throughout the day. I have a mini gohonzon in my bedroom. Id like to have an altar in my kitchen where I can bless my food as I make it and offer it to the spirits, my family, and the Dharma before taking part in eating it.

Im having a bit of trouble setting myself a part from the actual items themselves. It clutters my apartment and mind. I was taught that salt protects the home, so I have different places where I place mini candle holder glasses in each room. Dont need to in the living room.

I only have two rooms in my apartment. I wish I could use my whole apt as an "altar". I was told by my property manager about burning candles. I had to tell her it was for religious purposes. She couldnt say anything.

Mainly, Im not much for siting in one sacred place. I do my rituals in some secluded areas but unfortunately public areas on nice days.

It depends on the position of the sun where I have my "mobile" altars.

Im not one to keep routine.

Last edited:

Corthos

Great Old One
I have a main altar one oneside of my apartment living room with the Gohonzon, family pictures, and birthday cards for my grandmothers. I have sutras and journals. Its my reflective area, my whole loving room. I dont have much furniture for that reason. I have an altar on a window sill where I offer water to the sun every morning and every evening, I poor the water out and the rest over me. Reminds me of purity, birth, ane origin.

I have a divination altar on the floor opposite my mainbaltar where I use rocks to divine what element I will focus my attention on throughout the day. I have a mini gohonzon in mg bedroom. Id lime to have an altar in my kitchen where I can bless my food as I make it ans offer it to the spirits, my family, and thr Dharma before taking part in eating it.

Im having a bit of trouble setting myself a part from the actual items themselves. It clutters my apartment. I was taught that salt protects the home, so I have different places where I place mini candle holder glasses in each room. Dont need to in the living room.

I only have two rooms in my apartment. I wish I could use my whole apt as an "altar". I was told by my property manager about burning candles. I had to tell her it was for religious purposes. She couldnt say anything.

Mainly, Im not much for siting in one sacred place. I do my ritauals in some secluded areas but unfortunately public areas on nice days.

It depends on the position of the sun where I have my "mobile" altars.

Im not one to keep routine.

Very cool! I like the idea of having a lot of different altars situated throughout. =) I've always loved the look of horned altars of the ancient Semites/Canaanites. No one seems to sell them, otherwise I might be tempted to grab an incense altar. =/

Something like..

Ekron.jpg

tjgillies

Thanks! =)
I have a big picture of Abdul Baha above my fireplace

tjgillies

Lots of religions have this concept. Bahai don't drink or do drugs. We can smoke but it is highly discouraged

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Very cool! I like the idea of having a lot of different altars situated throughout. =) I've always loved the look of horned altars of the ancient Semites/Canaanites. No one seems to sell them, otherwise I might be tempted to grab an incense altar. =/

Something like..

Ekron.jpg

The trick, in my view, is not to get attached to the objects as a necessary part of your practice but more of a focal point. For example, we dont "need" a fork and bowl to eat pasta. Eating doesnt require utencils although they are highly helpful.

Yet, people find the need in these objects. So, depending on your belief, Id say watch for attachment. It can clutter your home and your mind.

Corthos

Great Old One
The trick, in my view, is not to get attached to the objects as a necessary part of your practice but more of a focal point. For example, we dont "need" a fork and bowl to eat pasta. Eating doesnt require utencils although they are highly helpful.

Yet, people find the need in these objects. So, depending on your belief, Id say watch for attachment. It can clutter your home and your mind.

Thanks! I've mostly been thinking about getting a little fire chalice and setting that up so I can have it there for when I meditate. Of course, burning an open FIRE indoors wouldn't be too smart (fire risk and carbon monoxide), so I'm just gonna put a candle inside and burn that (WoodWick candles seem to be able to get a bigger flame). =)

I've never been a very materialistic person. I do love history, though, and would love to explore some of the more historic aspects which I haven't experienced, yet. I feel there maybe some spiritual value there. =)

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks! =)

I have a place by my bed where I usually recite my obligatory prayer.. We wash our hands and face (ablutions) and turn to Bahji in the Holy Land before reciting the daily obligatory prayer(s). In my home is calligraphy of the Greatest Name of God and photos of Baha'i Holy Places and Abdul-Baha.

tjgillies

I have a place by my bed where I usually recite my obligatory prayer.. We wash our hands and face (ablutions) and turn to Bahji in the Holy Land before reciting the daily obligatory prayer(s). In my home is calligraphy of the Greatest Name of God and photos of Baha'i Holy Places and Abdul-Baha.
At my new place I'm moving into I've been considering putting the greatest name on my ceiling in the middle of my living room like we do at the temples.

GoodbyeDave

I can't compete with Ingledsva's beautiful shrine, nor show you pictures of mine, but I have a chest-top with
> statues of my household gods: Hestia, Hekate, Asklepios, and Tyche
> picture(s) of the god(s) with a festival in the current month: from today, Zeus and Hera
> candles and an incense burner
> receptacles for offerings