• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Personal Codes of Honor

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
We can certainly draw out some of the aspects of ourselves, but how would we know we are deluding ourselves, and how could this search for interactions of our feelings and thoughts lead to a resolve 'of all ethical/moral quandaries'? Is there really no ethical dilemma that cannot be solved by simply observing how our emotions about the dilemma and our reasoning of the dilemma, and making sure that we aren't confusing them?
I read it as, it's where feelings and ego interact that delusions and ethical dilemmas can occur.

Alex_G

Enlightner of the Senses
Personal codes of honor are basically the standards of behavior you choose uphold that guide how you behave in life. It can have a moral, ethical, or virtuous cast to it, but I am curious how many - if anyone - on RF have taken the time to compose their own personal code of honor. It is quite a project to do the think work required to create such a code, but it is one that I found tremendously worthwhile when I did so several years ago. It really makes you think about the kind of person you want to be in the world and how you want to interact with your broader environment.

To give an example of what I'm talking about with codes of honor, here is a code developed by a Pagan group:

I always like to think about how best to live my life. I’m compelled to deliberate on the subject most days. I tend to harbour a strong sense of justice, and its probably that that drives my desire to ponder the subject ever further. I try to articulate as much as possible, even if its just to myself, but don’t always succeed, not due to a misplaced disposition any more than a failure to condense the rich tapestry of information of emotional and rational awareness into a rather bottlenecked single streamed narrative, which almost always sends me down the tangent of investigating new ways of self-expression beyond the traditional.

For me such 'codes of honour' as you put it can be distilled into 2 parts, firstly the duty i have to myself, to be as genuine and authentically me as possible. The practice of bringing myself and my own existence into clear focus, to look directly into my heart and to work at developing the courage and state of mind to stand up in life and be true to myself. To lift myself out of the noise of everyday life in which you can truly get lost without coming up for air now and again.

Secondly is the way in which i interact with other people knowing that the duty to be true to myself and the courageous difficulty associated in doing so in such a hostile and controlling world demands a high degree of respect and awareness enough not to add to the barriers faced by others regarding such, whether they are aware of it or not. This coupled with the rights I hold as a thinking feeling creature also standing in principle for everyone around me help inform me how best to behave.

In a world of imperfect information my actions are guided by a strong sense of awareness for the lives around me, to avoid being presumptuous or overly imposing in my interactions especially where i stand to gain or others stand to gain potential harm. One does not know for sure the life of the person sitting next to you, what tragedies or hard times that person has endured, and one should not act as if they do.

Alex

Last edited:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
We can certainly draw out some of the aspects of ourselves, but how would we know we are deluding ourselves, and how could this search for interactions of our feelings and thoughts lead to a resolve 'of all ethical/moral quandaries'? Is there really no ethical dilemma that cannot be solved by simply observing how our emotions about the dilemma and our reasoning of the dilemma, and making sure that we aren't confusing them?
That is mind attempting to look at itself. To that extent Camus is right. The crux of what I am talking about is understanding feelings and functions of behavior the precede mind. Knowing the self beyond mind/ego/social-identity, which is not myself but one of many things my brain does (and a rather small part of what my brain does).

dust1n

Zindīq
doppelgänger;2972799 said:
That is mind attempting to look at itself. To that extent Camus is right. The crux of what I am talking about is understanding feelings and functions of behavior the precede mind. Knowing the self beyond mind/ego/social-identity, which is not myself but one of many things my brain does (and a rather small part of what my brain does).

Aye. Thanks for the clarification. :D

Orias

Left Hand Path
My "personal code of honor" is as follows.

1. I don't start fights, I finish them.
2. If I started a fight, its probably because the other guy deserved it.
3. Never fight a man who doesn't want to fight.
4. Respect all opponents, destroy all enemies.
5. Create few enemies.
6. Only take if it feels right.
7. Deceive those who wish to be deceived.
8. Never regret.
9. Learn.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
My personal code:
Never say anything stupid.

Oh well, it was good while it lasted.