• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Peace on earth?

Jeremiah

There was an interesting article in The Oregonian.

Across the globe, the level of armed conflict in Muslim countries is far lower today than it was two decades ago, notes Professor Andrew Mack, project director of the Human Security Report at Simon Fraser. Moreover, support for al-Qaeda and other radical Islamist groups has declined substantially throughout the Muslim world.

...over time, in the form of the demise of colonialism, the end of the Cold War and a doubling in the number of democratic states. All of this has led to a dramatic reduction in international warfare and civil wars.

The major powers on earth have not fought each other for more than 60 years, the longest period of major power peace in centuries. Fifty years ago, there were on average six international conflicts every year. In the new millennium, the average has been one.

The Global Peace Index gauges safety and security in society and militarization in 149 countries. Over the last year it registered overall increases in several indicators, including the likelihood of violent demonstrations and perceptions of criminality.

The GPI also ranks 149 nations in terms of their peacefulness. New Zealand, Iceland, Japan, Austria and Norway are the top five. Pakistan, Sudan, Afghanistan, Somalia and Iraq are the bottom five. The United States, entangled in two wars, is ranked 85th.

Again, look closer at that list: Japan and Germany, only 70 years ago, were bent on world war. Today Japan is considered the third most peaceful nation in the world; Germany is the 16th, a couple of spots ahead, even, of Switzerland.

Finally, consider another nation ranked as among the world's most peaceful: Ireland. For decades Northern Ireland was wracked by civil war and terrorism. It was a place of bombings, murders, civilian deaths. Now it is a place of peace.

The still-distant dream of peace on earth | OregonLive.com

Apparently the Human Security Report 2009/2010 is done but it is not available in hard-copy yet.

TJ73

Wow, that was a great article. Interesting how things appear depending on your perspective. I do, however, belive that there are tactics used for the same purpose as war that are not overtly violent. And peace is not just he absence of violence. So I am glad to see such a reduction in violence, now if we can move even further into striving for peace

Jeremiah

It was nice to see something in the news about the progress of peace instead of war for a change. I think we spend so much time looking at the bad in this world that we often overlook the good that is happening.

TJ73

so true. I want to understand why we are so attracted to conflict. Do you agree? People like to watch fights and celebrities fall and hear about bombings and all things bad. It has no real effect on us when we hear some religious people got together and feed some hungry people or anything else positive. Why?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
so true. I want to understand why we are so attracted to conflict. Do you agree? People like to watch fights and celebrities fall and hear about bombings and all things bad. It has no real effect on us when we hear some religious people got together and feed some hungry people or anything else positive. Why?

I'd suppose the media covers bad news and suffering in the hopes that people will see it and want to help or change things so that they don't happen again in the future.

Jeremiah

I'd suppose the media covers bad news and suffering in the hopes that people will see it and want to help or change things so that they don't happen again in the future.

They cover it because it sells, they do it for the money.

truseeker

there will never be peace unless people turn to God but with such an increase in non-believers there is not much hope

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
there will never be peace unless people turn to God but with such an increase in non-believers there is not much hope

God does not create peace. As we have always seen, divisions within those under God has the same if not more potential to cause conflict.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
God does not create peace. As we have always seen, divisions within those under God has the same if not more potential to cause conflict.

One reason we do not have Peace on Earth is because according to 2Cor 4v4 the world is under Satan who is the god of this world of badness.
Satan according to Rev [12vs9,12] brings 'woe' to earth, but please notice his bringing 'woe' is temporary.

Jesus will come to our rescue. Jesus will usher in Peace on Earth toward men of goodwill,
and as Psalm [46v9] says it is God that will make wars to cease from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth.
-Micah 4vs3,4; Isaiah 2v4.

This is one reason to look forward to the millennial reign of Christ over earth

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

'Hope' for global peace is not dependent on the number of believers.

Please notice the decisive action Jesus will take in order that there will finally be Peace on Earth at Rev 19vs11,14,15; Isaiah 11v4.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
There was an interesting article in The Oregonian.
The still-distant dream of peace on earth | OregonLive.com
Apparently the Human Security Report 2009/2010 is done but it is not available in hard-copy yet.

Is it really progress for peace or is it fulfillment of 1st Thess. 5vs2,3?

Jesus comes by surprise. Surprise at the time they [powers that be] are saying 'Peace and Safety' or 'Peace and Security'.

Only Jesus, as Prince of Peace, can establish real Peace on Earth.

Jeremiah

"such an increase in non-believers"

So what you are saying is that at the same time we are seeing a decrease in violence we are seeing an increase in non-believers?

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire

History shows that the most peaceful and prosperous nations are the ones that promote education and enlightenment. Peace occurs when individuals are taught to reason and given the freedom to rely on that reason. Historically its the cultures that promote knowledge and learning that flourish. Men who know the difference between good and evil, the benefits of good and the pitfalls of evil, will seldom choose poorly. The world will move toward peace when men start relying on truth and reason and not on the edicts of men in pointy hats. Note that I'm not saying that religious people can't be intelligent, educated, and enlightened...I just think religion can be detrimental to peace when it promotes ignorance as a virtue and encourages blind obedience to authority.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it promising that developed nations are much more peaceful now than they've ever been. Europe is fairly unified, the US is somewhat war-like but at least plays nice with other developed countries, and North America and Europe have good relationships with Australia and some countries in Asia. When there are international disputes between these various nations they tend to settle their differences with words rather than guns.

Still, I find the peace to be fragile. Weapons of offense outmatch defensive capabilities. Some of the prosperous countries of the world rely on consumerism, sweat-shop work from other countries, environmental damage, and tons of debt in order to fuel their lifestyle. And there are places in the world, particularly in Africa and Asia, where peace is still hard to come by due to poverty, lack, ignorance, and lack of compassion. And of the two most populated countries in the world, China and India- much of their population still lives in dramatic poverty, and China has a multitude of human rights issues.

If that were the case then there wouldn't be the fairly secular, irreligious countries in northern Europe experiencing such prosperity and peace. Some of the countries with the highest religious adherence are the ones with the most problems.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Note that I'm not saying that religious people can't be intelligent, educated, and enlightened...I just think religion can be detrimental to peace when it promotes ignorance as a virtue and encourages blind obedience to authority.

Reptillian I have to agree that religious people can be intelligent, educated and enlightened because Jesus was all three. By age 12 Jesus has such a well-rounded Biblical education that he could intelligently discuss Scripture with spiritually older men.

Jesus agrees that religion can be detrimental to peace when it promotes ignorance as a virtue and blind obedience to authority as the religious Pharisees wanted from the flock of God. [blind lead blind]
-Matthew chapter 23.

Often the clergy classes follow their own agenda, often political, instead of listening to the teachings that came out of Jesus mouth in favor of teaching their own church tradition not found in Scripture.
-Mark 7v7,13.

So, such church traditions or customs instead of uniting people in peace
keep people separated. So what needs to go is Not the religious teachings of Jesus, but the religious teachings of false clergy classes.
Christendom [counterfeit Christianity] needs to go first because she is the most representable one that falsely claims to represent Christ's teachings.
After all, church leaders in all countries often convey the impression that they will bless any war adventure that the leaders of state decide to launch, even using their pulpit as a recruiting station for them so parents will sacrifice their sons on the alter of war equating dying for a country is the same as dying for Christ.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
If that were the case then there wouldn't be the fairly secular, irreligious countries in northern Europe experiencing such prosperity and peace. Some of the countries with the highest religious adherence are the ones with the most problems.

Since the clergy have often done the bidding of the political world they feel useful to the political world by backing their agendas over Christ's.

Once the political world sees how troublesome the clergy can be, then they will feel they have no more need of them. So, it will come as quite a shock when the world's political 'kings' world rulers will turn on such a false religious 'queen'. Besides the political world, God will also have no use for her because after all she has run afoul playing false to God and his Word.

-Rev 17vs2,17; 18vs7,8
-1st Thess 5vs2,3.