• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Paul..fake liar or apostle?

A

angellous_evangellous

What is this source your link is referring to for an example of "understand"

κλύοντες οὐκ ἤκουον” A.Pr.448, cf. Ch.5, Ar.Ra.1173; “τὸ μὴ πάντας πάντων ἀκούειν” S.E.M.1.37

That's the example from LSJ.

And as I also said before:

BGAD gives many more examples:

Galen CMG Suppl 1 p 12, 29
Aelian VH 13, 46
Appollon. Dysc. Syntax p. 295, 25
Sext. Emp. Math 1.37
Julian, Orat 4 p 147a
Philo, Leg All 2, 35

*sigh*

Shermana

Heretic
Do you ever tire of embarrassing yourself?

What's embarassing is that the Lexicon appears to be continuing the trend of trying to cover up this discrepancy by saying that the phrase "Ears to hear" means that it can be used for "understand".

Anyone else however can see that nowhere else in the Koine corpus is it ever use for the word "Understand". If you think "Ears to hear" means "ears to understand", that's your opinion but it appears that there is indeed another word for "understand".

"Ears to hear" = "Ears to understand?"

I asked for a single Rabbinical source to show the word "Shema" being used for "understand" instead of simply "Hear", back up your claim or retract it.

A

angellous_evangellous

What's embarassing is that the Lexicon appears to be continuing the trend of trying to cover up this discrepancy by saying that the phrase "Ears to hear" means that it can be used for "understand".

I asked for a single Rabbinical source to show the word "Shema" being used for "understand" instead of simply "Hear", back up your claim or retract it.

In spite of all this, I truly believe that if you slowed down you'd do much better.

You're very creative, but instead of expending the effort to actually think, you squander your creativity on nonsense.

Shermana

Heretic
I'd place him on my ignore list if I didn't believe that it's current residents deserve better.

No. On second thought, they'll just have to cope. I'm dumping him.

It's obvious you ignore requests to back up your claims like proving that Shema can be used for understand as well as "hear".

Shermana

Heretic
In spite of all this, I truly believe that if you slowed down you'd do much better.

You're very creative, but instead of expending the effort to actually think, you squander your creativity on nonsense.

I appreciate your concern, but the fact is, the word is never really used for "understand", the sources your source uses don't use it as "understand" (unless you can back up your own sources' claims with a link to the material, please provide pt. 147a of the 4th Julian Oration, I only find 127 or so verses, maybe there's another 4th Oration of Julian?), and it is used over 300 times in the NT purely for physically hearing, and apparently only once in select translations of one verse. "Ears to hear" does not mean "Ears to understand", the word doesn't change meaning to suit the idiom.

A

angellous_evangellous

Shermana

Heretic
Now I got out my complete works of Philo, let's see what Leg All 2 V 35 says....

"He took one of his ribs." He took one of the many powers of the mind, namely, that power which dwells in the outward senses. And he uses the expression "He took" we are not to understand it as if he had said "He took away" but rather as equivalent to "He counted", He examined" as he says in another place, "Take the chief of the spoils of the captivity." What then, is it which he wishes to show?"

Did I get the wrong Leg All 2 V 35?

Shermana

Heretic
You went for the one example that's dated in the 4th century CE.:D

I had thought about taking that one out, but I wanted to include all of the examples so you could get a balanced understanding, provided you had the gumption to do so.

In any case, if you base your "opinion" just on Gregory, you've missed the mark entirely.

I want to know why they said it has 147 verses, they must be using a different version with a different numbering I guess.

A

angellous_evangellous

Now I got out my complete works of Philo, let's see what Leg All 2 V 35 says....

Did I get the wrong Leg All 2 V 35?

Well, you see the word "understand," don't you?

Did you forget what you were doing?

A

angellous_evangellous

I want to know why they said it has 147 verses, they must be using a different version with a different numbering I guess.

Yeah, that went to 121 or something. It's sections, not verses.

They could be citing a fragment. It would be much easier if you were looking for it in TLG.