• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Part of being Privileged is not having to think about being Privileged

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I had no idea that Critical Race Theory had gained so much traction. That IS depressing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't know why anyone would be. As you've just stated yourself, you would rather not be anything else buddy ;)
But this leads me to believe that many black & female folk wouldn't trade places with me either.
They'd be giving up things they value.

dust1n

Zindīq
But this leads me to believe that many black & female folk wouldn't trade places with me either.
They'd be giving up things they value.

I don't think black folk would want to have your life either. But certainly, they would like receiving the conveniences that one might receive just for being white, no?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think black folk would want to have your life either. But certainly, they would like receiving the conveniences that one might receive just for being white, no?
Sure....& we might like the pass given them in discussing things
like privilege....& race & affirmative action & politics & trials.
What group doesn't have something going for them?

dust1n

Zindīq
Sure....& we might like the pass given them in discussing things
like privilege
....& race & affirmative action & politics & trials.
What group doesn't have something going for them?

Um... aren't there multiple white males in this room right now, freely discussing things like privilege, race... and then we just have two threads about Zimmerman cause that was almost entirely white people?

How exactly do white people not have a pass to talk about whatever they please?

Alceste

Vagabond
Would you rather be a woman? Certainly not.

I used to contemplate how different my life would have been if I were male. Eventually I concluded that despite the challenges I've had I'd still rather be a woman - or at least the member of some other "minority" (in terms of power and representation). It seems to have huge benefits in terms of critical thinking, self-knowledge and clear perception of the world we live in. If you've never felt that something affecting you is discriminatory or unfair, you forget to even think about discrimination and unfairness in general. Then you seem to start imagining the whole world is fine just as it is, for everyone. Which it isn't.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Um... aren't there multiple white males in this room right now, freely discussing things like privilege, race...
There sure are

....and then we just have two threads about Zimmerman cause that was almost entirely white people?
What does this mean?

How exactly do white people not have a pass to talk about whatever they please?
I'm regularly questioned about being racist towards black folk because of economically liberal views. Thomas Sowell & Walter Williams don't have that problem....although they do get called uncle tom's. It's easier for them to challenge affirmative action & other sensitive topics. Do you not see a difference in how white & black folk each receive different treatment in the media regarding discussions of race relations?

Last edited:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So, people who are most likely to be the butt of racism are less likely to be considered racists.

Wow. What a priviledge! If priviledges were Christmas toys, I'm pretty sure this one would just be flying off the shelves!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It has in so many ways... You're just too privileged to see it. You have to think about the things that haven't happened to you. For example, Have you ever been a passenger (not driving) in a car that got pulled over and been the only one asked for your ID? I have.
Nowadays, the exchange will go like this.....
Cop: Sir....you in the back....on the left.....the brownish one with taco breath....
You: Me, sir?
Cop: Yes, could I see.....wait.....are you a "white Hispanic" or the regular kind?
You: I'm the regular.....
Cop: Give me your ID, now! And keep your hands where I can see them!

But even if you were the "white" kind, this is no guarantee you won't be beaten or sexually assaulted
randomly by the cops. It's happened to real white guys....the pasty Irish looking kind....whom I know.
I steer of cops when I can.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
There sure are!

I'm regularly questioned about being racist towards black folk because of economically liberal views.

By who and in what context? I've never seen that here, for example...
Thomas Sowell & Walter Williams don't have that problem....although they do get called uncle tom's. It's easier for them to challenge affirmative action & other sensitive topics. Do you not see a difference in how white & black folk each receive different treatment in the media regarding discussions of race relations?

You know I don't watch "the media." I did a search for some random stuff regarding race in the news...

[youtube]-fBsygtslIw[/youtube]
THE NEWS Zimmerman Trial Issues With Race Don Lemon N Word Racists - YouTube

[youtube]8Xn14tC7LeA[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xn14tC7LeAhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xn14tC7LeA

[youtube]kpkdpnko4us[/youtube]
The American 'Cradle To Grave' Welfare System - Henican, Fox News - YouTube

Maybe an example to what you are referring to?

dust1n

Zindīq
What does this mean?

Didn't catch the edit:

It means I am entirely confused by your assertion that white people don't have a pass to talk about race, trials, etc. etc... When, obviously, we were all speaking about the issue for days and no one seem to think anyone pro-Z or pro-court, or what have you, was never referred to as a racist. There is literally hours of white people talking about the case on various news stations...

So, I don't really understand this "pass" you referred to.

Now, I'm aware that if one was to hold an unpopular opinion about something, people are going to ridicule you. I'm against ridicule, generally speaking. But does such ridicule actually prevent you from being able to speak? I mean... I just don't understand this pass as being some sort of serious set back against white people; and, of course, I really fail to see how such pass would be comparable to the fact that... well, sometimes graphics work better.

TX_incrates2001.jpg

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I used to contemplate how different my life would have been if I were male. Eventually I concluded that despite the challenges I've had I'd still rather be a woman - or at least the member of some other "minority" (in terms of power and representation). It seems to have huge benefits in terms of critical thinking, self-knowledge and clear perception of the world we live in. If you've never felt that something affecting you is discriminatory or unfair, you forget to even think about discrimination and unfairness in general. Then you seem to start imagining the whole world is fine just as it is, for everyone. Which it isn't.

Unfortunately, in practice, most people only focus on their own perceived disadvantages, and how they're worse than everyone else's. Bottom line - whatever your background, makeup, or station in life, most people are far too self-focused to have a "clear perception" of the world we live in - whether their self-focus is positive, or negative. It's a pretty idea though.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Some might disagree with you there.
Tell Mystic that she'd be better off as a man, you might find a whole lotta "cat toys" heading your way.

*throws two more just for fun*

Mystic?

I noticed you didn't offer your take on it my fellow man. Would you rather be an African American? Would you rather be a woman?

Rev likes to follow me around. And that's okay. He's grown on me. Like a happy kind of fungus.

Truth be told, I stalk him too. Only because I like to have an excuse to throw some cat toys in his direction.

Mystic is a poster here. She seems quite happy being female.
I would rather not be anything else. But my reasons point to so much more than race & gender.
I wouldn't want to be: neurotypical, non-American, religious, physically small/weak, gay,
unintelligent, a Democrat, a Republican, a moderator here, a sociopath, a lawyer, etc, etc.

I like being who I am. Including how itty bitty I am as a person (I'm 4'11"). I heard somewhere that some states consider me to be disabled because of my height. I also heard that some car manufacturers/legislators/insurance carriers don't want short people like me driving cars because they think I'm putting my life at risk for being too short to drive.

I listen to stuff like that and simply get in my car and drive wherever I want to go. Because they don't define my worth or my abilities for me. I can do that just fine for myself, thank you.

It's the same being a woman. I've adopted a personal motto that I remind myself when I face discrimination regarding how a woman ought to be or how she ought to talk or dress or think or work....and it's entirely my own motto and I don't speak for anyone else....empowerment is claimed, not given.

But back to topic, since I could go on all day talking about me. I'm vain like that.

The cultural privileges that are being discussed here point to a subliminal advantage in very distinct influential groups of people. The people who make decisions, who write laws, who have the most access to money and resources, the people who sit at the bench to decide if something is constitutional, the people who enforce the law....

I gave a list of white privileges spelled out by a white woman from a link earlier in the thread. I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are about the cultural advantages that whites have in the U.S. without our awareness.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I gave a list of white privileges spelled out by a white woman from a link earlier in the thread.

That's one of the most hacky, stereotype-ridden, naively condescending, and generally baseless lists I've seen in a long time. It does make for amusing reading when sheltered white people decide they need to vent and apologize for their "white guilt" though

dust1n

Zindīq
That's one of the most hacky, stereotype-ridden, naively condescending, and generally baseless lists I've seen in a long time. It does make for amusing reading when sheltered white people decide they need to vent and apologize for their "white guilt" though

Did you find the entire list to be a misrepresentation?

dust1n

Zindīq
I'm sure the entire list is an accurate representation of the author's sheltered, naive, simplistic perspective.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

Did you find the entire list to be a misrepresentation of examples of privileges attributed to white people or of any disadvantage a minority may or may not face?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

I didn't take it as such. Not venting or having white guilt, but acknowledging where whites are privileged in ways that people that color often live with while whites are not aware of.

I hear much of the time from other whites that they would never go to a park I go to when I walk the dog, and the reason is because it's apparently overrun with crime. I'll mention that I've never had that problem and never saw any threats, illicit drug deals, nothing in the last 6 years. So when asked why they think it's overrun with crime, they'll say, "look around", or pointing out "thugs" everywhere. And who they're pointing to? Young black males.

Do young white males run into that kind of suspicion?