• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents Formed Prayer Circle Over Gay “Stage Kiss” in Play for High Schoolers

Skwim

Veteran Member
Talk about s-t-u-p-i-d people.

"We wrote yesterday about a group of parents and pastors who were so offended about a Shakespeare-inspired play performed at their local high school that they decided to form a prayer circle.

46067697_265398327507113_3218803892129103872_n.jpg

Well, it turns out that the “inappropriate content” they were really protesting was a same-sex “stage kiss.”

The Parkway Playhouse came to Mitchell High School in Bakersville, North Carolina to perform an edited version of “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged),” a popular parody of many of Shakespeares’ works. Earlier reports suggested the prayer circle was formed in response to “inappropriate content” including suicide, alcohol consumption, and “bad language” — all of which you’d find in Romeo and Juliet — but a local resident informed me the real “concern” was over homosexuality.

The reasonable Mitchell County native, who will remain anonymous, told me in an email that the “drinking and suicide” thing was just what the school board told the news station. The resident added: “What people were actually upset about was the all male cast and that two men shared a stage kiss.”

The “kiss” wasn’t even real. It was a “stage kiss”, meant to give that impression without actually doing anything. It’s not unusual in theater. It’s called “acting.”

In fact, there’s currently a petition circulating in Mitchell County in which supporters call for the school board to ban any group from performing in the District if they promote “Homosexuality, Incest, Suicide, or any other [sic] that would be contrary to life.” Which means they’re also comparing homosexuality to incest and — oddly enough — suicide.

46157184_587419531693496_8486500582532579328_n.jpg

source
Note that the petition says:

Homosexuality, Incest, Suicide, or any other that would be contrary to life.
I wasn't aware that homosexuality is "contrary" to life, but I guess down Bakersville, North Carolina way, where grammar and spelling is also contrary to life (they can't even spell the name of their own county), it is.
baseball-bat-smiley-emoticon.gif

Last edited:

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I wonder if someone should put the list of those petitioners on public blast as homophobes. would that be illegal?

Axe Elf

Prophet
Technically, homosexuality IS contrary to reproduction, so in that sense, it would be contrary to life, but assuming that the location really is "Mitchell" County, I have to wonder how good of an education the school provides when the petition refers to it as "Micthell" County--not just once, but twice!

I wonder if they realize that in Shakespeare's day, all actors were male, and female characters were portrayed by men in drag. So when there was a romantic kiss on stage (in Romeo and Juliet, for instance), the kiss was actually between two men even then.

Probly not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Jesus let Judas kiss him.

Top 10 Kisses in the Bible

7 of the top ten 10 kisses were men kissing men.

They're right, it's such abhorrent and shocking Behavior they ought to be compulsed to have a second prayer circle for the Bible as well.

asap before it's too late.

Cooky

Veteran Member

"We wrote yesterday about a group of parents and pastors who were so offended about a Shakespeare-inspired play performed at their local high school that they decided to form a prayer circle.

Well, it turns out that the “inappropriate content” they were really protesting was a same-sex “stage kiss.”

The Parkway Playhouse came to Mitchell High School in Bakersville, North Carolina to perform an edited version of “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged),” a popular parody of many of Shakespeares’ works. Earlier reports suggested the prayer circle was formed in response to “inappropriate content” including suicide, alcohol consumption, and “bad language” — all of which you’d find in Romeo and Juliet — but a local resident informed me the real “concern” was over homosexuality.

The reasonable Mitchell County native, who will remain anonymous, told me in an email that the “drinking and suicide” thing was just what the school board told the news station. The resident added: “What people were actually upset about was the all male cast and that two men shared a stage kiss.”

The “kiss” wasn’t even real. It was a “stage kiss”, meant to give that impression without actually doing anything. It’s not unusual in theater. It’s called “acting.”

In fact, there’s currently a petition circulating in Mitchell County in which supporters call for the school board to ban any group from performing in the District if they promote “Homosexuality, Incest, Suicide, or any other [sic] that would be contrary to life.” Which means they’re also comparing homosexuality to incest and — oddly enough — suicide.

source

I wasn't aware that homosexuality is "contrary" to life, but I guess down Bakersville, North Carolina way, where grammar is also contrary to life, it is.

I wonder if someone should put the list of those petitioners on public blast as homophobes. would that be illegal?

Good luck fighting the eternal fight. Homosexuality will never be fully accepted.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Technically, homosexuality IS contrary to reproduction, so in that sense, it would be contrary to life, but assuming that the location really is "Mitchell" County, I have to wonder how good of an education the school provides when the petition refers to it as "Micthell" County--not just once, but twice!

I wonder if they realize that in Shakespeare's day, all actors were male, and female characters were portrayed by men in drag. So when there was a romantic kiss on stage (in Romeo and Juliet, for instance), the kiss was actually between two men even then.

Probly not.

This was about my first thought.
I can handle (even whilst ardently disagreeing) with their religion, but their history is slap-worthy.

Bob the Unbeliever

I would bet anyone an internet $$, that at least 3 people in that "prayer circle" are closeted homosexuals themselves.

Considering the number there, and the typical ratio of gay-to-straight children? At least 3.

Oh well-- there's no hypocrite like a religious hypocrite who has "god on their side", is there?

I just wish these people would let god fight his own battles-- himself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Technically, homosexuality IS contrary to reproduction, so in that sense, it would be contrary to life,

A chunk of the population not reproducing is probably the greatest thing we have now for continuing human life. There are too many of us as it is, and even only about 10% of the population never reproduces that is just that much more of a relief for the Earth.

David T

Premium Member

source

I wasn't aware that homosexuality is "contrary" to life, but I guess down Bakersville, North Carolina way, where grammar and spelling is also contrary to life (they can't even spell the name of their own county), it is.

Bias is interesting. To us they arent bias they are facts, to others they are nuts and obvious. Seems all totally normal to me. Monty python in real time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Good luck fighting the eternal fight. Homosexuality will never be fully accepted.
It is my delightful pleasure to inform you homosexuality is going to be a non-issue and no one will care about it. We're already heading that way, getting close, and the obstacle in the way are those clinging on to ancient superstitions that were invented and created during a time when we believed mental illness and many physical illnesses were the result of demonic possession. Homophobes are a dying breed, and it's about damn time.