• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Parents are Responsible for Hatred

Draka

Wonder Woman
Parents should keep their prejudices to themselves and the world would be a better place. Kids have no ability to hate another child due to race, ethnicity, national origin, or sexual orientation. It is the parents that instill their own brand of hatred and raise yet another generation of bigoted people. By simply telling a child not to play with another because they are another color or perhaps are the child of a same-sex couple, another bigot is being brought into this world. Parents, if you don't like another group of people because of your own inane prejudices keep your trap shut about it with your children. Otherwise you are just spreading hatred!

(my rant after having heard of two seperate instances, in person, one involving a white boy playing with black children and one about homosexuality. but if it applies to you then heed it!)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Wouldn't that make the current "bigots" not to blame... it would be their parents' fault no?

Heneni

Miss Independent
Parents could be responsible for hatred but not necessarily.

If a parent does not feel that homosexuality is correct they can communicate this to their child. WITH REASONS.

The child must then be left to take the information that they have and combined with their own sense of right and wrong come to a conclusion. A child that believes what their parents believe without any question, is not being brought up properly, and will probably rebel against their parents point of view only for the sake of breaking free from control. A child needs to have the freedom to make their own choices about moral matters.

And then..if they for example dont agree with homosexuality, then the homosexual community should not bully them into thinking otherwise.

I for one...will trust that the seed of god remains in my children...and that they have the inate ability to judge properly between what is wrong and what is right from gods perspective. And once they are sure of their point of view, having considered all angles, facts, their god and their instict...they should not be swayed by anybody else. Otherwise they become like leaves blown in the wind here and there, and end up in no moral land. That is more dangerous than all of organised religion put together.

What is important though, is that the sins of the parent not be revisited upon the child. That means that the child will struggle with the same sins as the parents did unless the parents overcame the problem. The child is not punished for the sins of the father, but they will struggle with hate, if their parents were hateful. Similarly a child that grows up in a home where there is loose morals, will grow up struggle to get a good grip on morals themselves.

A parent can make the life of a child much easier by dealing with problems in their own generation.

Heneni

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
This is the reason that I always liked to be able to sit down with my children and teach them love toward all others. I like to have the opportunity to explain that everyone is not alike and that others believe and see things differently. Since a lot of children are in churches where they are taught intolerance toward anything out of what is considered the norm for them. I like to explain why they need to learn tolerance and understanding for others and never pass judgment on others. I have never been a prejudiced person and taught my children the same principles....
I myself was raised in churches where anything that looked different from their own mindset would blow the hairpins out of the most modest hair do in the church....That's why I dare to be different......;)

Draka

Wonder Woman
Wouldn't that make the current "bigots" not to blame... it would be their parents' fault no?

It has to stop somewhere doesn't it?

And perhaps this is better in a religious debate, but I think it horrible to tell any child that it is okay to be prejudice against a certain group of people because some all-powerful god-entity that rules over us and can send us to hell and so on says it's what he wants. I find that sickening to pass the blame for your own prejudices to a god. Can't argue with a god huh? Kind of hard for a 5 or 10 year old to tell god that he's wrong.

jacquie4000

I believe kids learn prejudice from many different places, not just their family. And at some point the child has a responsibility to make their own choice. The cycle can be broken, even if the parents taught hatred. If your parent is violent you are more likely to be violent but you can break the pattern. My son has been hurt so many times by prejudice and hatred, as a parent it is hard to see your child go through that kind of pain. It is important we try not to teach them to hate in return.

anyone who teaches or leads is responsabel parents just spend the most time teaching thus also get most of the blame

LC1735

I don't think it is just the parents but the overall environment. This thread reminds me of the song from South Pacific, "You've got to be carefully taught."

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

from stlyrics.com

It won't let me post the link.

Bucket

I agree that the parents are the most influential teachers in a child's life, but the point that LC1735 brings out is also so true. The parents can teach hate through modeling it, but the cultural environment has to tolerate it to let it continue. I see it in the things my kids tell me from childcare and school. They repeat what their friends say, and it seems so rehearsed, like they are parroting mom or dad, and the other kids have similar experiences. I worry when I let my kids go to a friend's house, as I never know what they will hear, even in a "nice" household.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Most of the psychological conditioning that will determine (among other things) whether the child is a bigot or not is done by age 5.

needle

Today, most parents spend very little time with their children. They are far to busy paying the ransom on their house, car, education, food, medicine and other necessities, to be the truly honorable parents that they should be allowed to be. Children, parents, and grandparents have in fact been raised by a pompous entertainment and political industry, which includes the social establishment's falsified churches, educational facilities, illicit governments and their treacherous banking enterprises. How can the true parent be blamed, when they have been robbed of the sacred role of actually being goodly parents. The States themselves have set themselves up to be the "Parents" of All of their Subjects. Terrorized individuals whom they have doomed, robbed and degraded to the humiliated status of retarded children. Your birth certificates are in their commodities department. This is known as The Parens Patria Act. It has been in effect, in one degree or another, from the beginning of time.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Besides that, I have known children of racist and/or bigoted parents that were not in the least racist and/or bigoted.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Besides that, I have known children of racist and/or bigoted parents that were not in the least racist and/or bigoted.

That's what I am thinking. Kids spend more one on one time with their teachers and friends than they do their parents.

Parents do get their chance to mold their child as well but, many do not turn out exactly like we planned.

Sorry, the OP is well intended, but incorrect.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Parents should keep their prejudices to themselves and the world would be a better place.
No, dear Draka. These people need to REPENT of their prejudices. It does NO ONE any good for hate to continue. GET RID OF IT!

codebar

I recognize the fact that evil can not take place without a doer or a servant of evil. I am very selective about who and what I like. Certain people, places and things do not make me happy, or give me peace. It has been my experience that individuals who have a love for sin and sinful practices, will attempt to throw out any word they want at their rightful accusers, in order that they can be seen as martyrs. I for one do not see barbaric , dangerous, immoral or disgusting individuals as deserving of my tolerance and love. I do not want them in my world, and I do not want them in a world with other helpless innocent individuals. And I do teach this justified doctrine to my children. There is no abuse, without the abuser. There is no rape, without the rapist. I do despise these individuals, because I would be a traitor to righteousness, if I did not.

ryeandmistletoe

Observing
Parents can certainly have a negative effect on their children by modelling bigotry, practicing prejudice or actively teaching hate, but there are so many sources where this comes from that it isn't possible to lay the entire blame on just one factor. I'd say peers contribute very strongly to the problem as well. My mother was conscious about raising me in a tolerant, open-minded environment, but my dad had picked up on the racism, homophobia and bigotry that was rampant in his hometown, and even though he tried to combat it, sometimes it slipped out. Furthermore, I frequently heard school friends make racist statements or parrot homophobia and religious intolerance they'd learned in the home. Since we live in a society to which we all contribute, it's very difficult to protect a child's innocence and impossible without hard work.

blackout

Violet.
I recognize the fact that evil can not take place without a doer or a servant of evil. I am very selective about who and what I like. Certain people, places and things do not make me happy, or give me peace. It has been my experience that individuals who have a love for sin and sinful practices, will attempt to throw out any word they want at their rightful accusers, in order that they can be seen as martyrs. I for one do not see barbaric , dangerous, immoral or disgusting individuals as deserving of my tolerance and love. I do not want them in my world, and I do not want them in a world with other helpless innocent individuals. And I do teach this justified doctrine to my children. There is no abuse, without the abuser. There is no rape, without the rapist. I do despise these individuals, because I would be a traitor to righteousness, if I did not.

From whence comes your doctrine?

In another thread you spoke of people being timid.
Are you some kind of a christian? (Islam?)

Where else would you get phrases like...
individuals who have a love for sin and sinful practices

and yet lower down you say....
I for one do not see barbaric , dangerous, immoral or disgusting individuals as deserving of my tolerance and love.

Doesn't sound so Christian now.

After reading more of your posts..
I thought at first maybe LDS...
with the whole anscestral realm thing...
and then the whole self deification thing was very LHP...
the "them" made you sound polytheistic/ some kind of pagan?

But with each new post of yours I read,
I just see loveless judgementalism.:(
The game is no fun anymore.

So I quit.
I will not play along.
I'm done guessing.

Why don't you stop being so timid yourself,
and tell us, who/what you actually are?

Whose doctrine ARE you following?

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Parents are responsible for hatred?

Well they certainly do get the ball rolling.
(as we have seen demonstrated in this very thread)