• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheons and mythologies

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Not really but I can infer what it means by my familiarity with the two terms that make it up. You mean someone has accused you of doing this? On what grounds? I can't imagine such a term applying to you.

Oddly enough it was here, a few years ago. A couple of pagans accused me of Cultural Rape (yes, they capitalized it...) because I was an eclectic and was trying to blend a number of different cultures into something that would work for me. They claimed that I was stealing and disrespecting the cultures I was borrowing from, not to mention 'cherry-picking'. It was most annoying and made me doubt my path..

yeah, it's sad really. One of the reasons I originally left Christianity was to get away from such dogma, hypocrisy, and double-standards. but a little while ago I realized that I'm going to have to accept that I'll never be able to fully escape having to deal with it, no matter what religion I follow. Not even Paganism, a religion(s) that's meant to be anti-dogma, can't seem to fully escape it. The best thing we can do is just avoid getting caught up in it.

Here, here.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Oddly enough it was here, a few years ago. A couple of pagans accused me of Cultural Rape (yes, they capitalized it...) because I was an eclectic and was trying to blend a number of different cultures into something that would work for me. They claimed that I was stealing and disrespecting the cultures I was borrowing from, not to mention 'cherry-picking'. It was most annoying and made me doubt my path..

that's just absurd. If anything it's a sign of deep respect and admiration when we eclectics choose to add something to our "cauldron" from another culture because it shows we saw something in that culture that we identified with. I hope your over your doubt now and don't let people like that get to you anymore. Are those two pagans still around?

Here, here.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
that's just absurd. If anything it's a sign of deep respect and admiration when we eclectics choose to add something to our "cauldron" from another culture because it shows we saw something in that culture that we identified with. I hope your over your doubt now and don't let people like that get to you anymore. Are those two pagans still around?

No, they didn't get the best of me :) Though I'm not sure if I'm eclectic anymore, I need to think about that label and if it still pertains to me...

No, they're not around. One was banned and the other left with her.. which is good and sad at the same time, I considered both friends... I digress.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
No, they didn't get the best of me :)
good

Though I'm not sure if I'm eclectic anymore, I need to think about that label and if it still pertains to me...

No, they're not around. One was banned and the other left with her.. which is good and sad at the same time, I considered both friends... I digress.

Hakuna Matatah, Gentoo:D

Does this mean that you regard angels, faeries, elves and such to be all a part of the sidhe? I've always considered elves and fey to be sidhe but have always placed angels and other celestial beings on another plane... I would LOVE some input on this

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Does this mean that you regard angels, faeries, elves and such to be all a part of the sidhe? I've always considered elves and fey to be sidhe but have always placed angels and other celestial beings on another plane... I would LOVE some input on this
Yes, I do. I don't believe in different planes of reality anymore. :)

Erebus

A man after my own philosophy. :cool:

Are you a fan of Robert Anton Wilson?

In response to the OP, I think that most people tend to think that a traditional (pre-packaged pantheons) faith is somehow truer than a personally-defined one, even though the latter is certainly a better fit to one's world-view or paradigm.

I think it's important to creatively explore your spirituality; you certainly learn more about yourself and reality.

They do say great minds think alike :cool:

I've heard of him and read snippets of his work here and there and I think I'd like to read more of his stuff, unfortunately I already have three novels on the go in addition to my university revision and reading (which amounts to roughly a novel, a play and two case studies a week... gotta love combined honours ;)) so it could be a while.

Moonwater: I wouldn't worry about what other Pagans think of you. There's a few Wiccans living near me who have a pretty low opinion of my beliefs and practices (probably due in a large way to my amorality :cool:) and who consider themselves to be "masters" in their field. Of course in my opinion as soon as you consider yourself a "master" you've gone wrong somewhere.
If so called "occultists" miss the fact that different systems work for different people, they will most likely end up stunting their own progress (so in answer to your question, yes I do use chaos magic :D)

I will get round to posting a rough summary of my beliefs soon. Right now however, I'm exhausted from exams and just looking to relax... also my younger brother's just turned up completely drunk...

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
They do say great minds think alike :cool:

I've heard of him and read snippets of his work here and there and I think I'd like to read more of his stuff, unfortunately I already have three novels on the go in addition to my university revision and reading (which amounts to roughly a novel, a play and two case studies a week... gotta love combined honours ;)) so it could be a while.

Moonwater: I wouldn't worry about what other Pagans think of you. There's a few Wiccans living near me who have a pretty low opinion of my beliefs and practices (probably due in a large way to my amorality :cool:) and who consider themselves to be "masters" in their field. Of course in my opinion as soon as you consider yourself a "master" you've gone wrong somewhere.
If so called "occultists" miss the fact that different systems work for different people, they will most likely end up stunting their own progress (so in answer to your question, yes I do use chaos magic :D)

Worrying about what other people think has been a long standing issue with me that I'm trying to get rid of. Haven't had much luck yet but I have made some progress. But I agree with you, a real "master of the craft" won't consider themselves a master IMHO, as they recognize that there is still a great deal for them to learn.

I will get round to posting a rough summary of my beliefs soon. Right now however, I'm exhausted from exams and just looking to relax... also my younger brother's just turned up completely drunk...

ooh boy. well you take care of yourself and your brother first. I hope your exams go well and your brother pulls out okay.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
My thinking is it probably isn't a good idea to combine gods from too different of places. The gods were worshiped by people from specific parts of the world. I feel they are instilled with the energy of their worshipers and land. Also if they are literal beings it could create conflict. Now what I am saying I feel only applies to ritual. I don't think it would be wise to invite gods/goddesses from very different cultures or that have very different personalities. Other than that I think it doesn't matter too much. The best advice I have seen so far though is to become an expert of on one or two mythologies. One that interests you and one of your ancestors.

Of course this is all my opinion. This is what I would do. I think if it feels right to you then do it no matter what it is.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Well I've been working on my pantheon for a bit and I wanted to post up what I've got, maybe get some feedback on it as well.

Amaterasu Omikami- Amaterasu is the japanese sun goddess and the mother of creation in japanese mythology. Thus in my pantheon she holds the position as grandmother sun, the creator of this solar system.

Gaia- The goddess of Earth at day in my pantheon, she hails from ancient Greece.

Faunus- The God of Earth at day in my pantheon, he comes from Rome and is the main consort of Gaia.

Selene- The Moon Goddess and goddess of the Earth at night. She comes from Greece and is my patron goddess. She also holds the position of "Mother" in the goddess trio of maiden, mother, and crone

Pan- He is the god of Earth at night hailing from Greece and is the main consort of Selene. He's also my patron god.

Lucifer- the dragon/fire god of knowledge and courage who helped Lilith escape the garden of Eden. He is also Lilith's chosen mate

Lilith- while not exactly a goddess, she is on her way to becoming one. She is the first child of Selene and Pan and joined with Lucifer after leaving Adam and the garden of Eden. Lilith embodies the journey of every soul from its birth towards godhood.

Yahweh/El- Taking the nature of this god from the bible I decided to make him the god of protection and justice in my pantheon. He still holds the position of the creator of the garden of eden and of adam and eve.

Satan- Like Lilith Satan isn't exactly a god. He is basically Yahweh's "court jester" and is the one responsible for getting adam and eve to partake of the tree of knowledge. He is a trickster who embodies the wicked, dangerous, and harmful aspects of humor and mischief. Why Yahweh keeps him around is anyone's guess. *edit from idea willamena gave me*: Satan's tricks work to reveal the true nature of others so Yahweh may judge them by who they truly are rather than by the mask that they wear. As such his tricks must often times be "wicked, dangerous and harmful".

Puck/Robin Goodfellow- I had to include this guy since he is my favorite character from Shakespeare(yes I know Shakespeare didn't invent him). He is very similar to the character of Satan only acts as pan's "court jester". He embodies the more fun and good natured aspects of humor and mischief and while is tricks often cause trouble he always fixes the trouble he causes one way or another.

Artemis- A warrior goddess of the hunt and of wisdom. She is also a moon goddess and as such holds the position of "maiden" in my goddess triad. I see her wisdom as being that which comes from emotion, intuition, and instinct. She is also the one who protects women from abusive men.

Athena-the primary goddess of war and wisdom. I see her wisdom as the kind that comes from knowledge and knowing how to use that knowledge, like using one's knowledge of an opponent to win a fight.

Hecate- the goddess of the spirit world and death, of magic and herbs and of the wisdom that comes from age and experience. She is also a moon goddess and holds the position of "crone" in my goddess triad.

13 in all, and people say that number is supposed to be unlucky:p

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Satan- Like Lilith Satan isn't exactly a god. He is basically Yahweh's "court jester" and is the one responsible for getting adam and eve to partake of the tree of knowledge. He is a trickster who embodies the wicked, dangerous, and harmful aspects of humor and mischief. Why Yahweh keeps him around is anyone's guess.
I think of him as humanity's advocate. He tests man, tries them, and in doing so reveals their nature to a watchful "God".

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I think of him as humanity's advocate. He tests man, tries them, and in doing so reveals their nature to a watchful "God".

say, I like that. Thanks Willamena that actually makes a great deal of sense and would fit in perfectly. I think I'll edit that in, thanks again.