• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pantheons and mythologies

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I am currently in the process of creating my own pantheon of gods and goddesses and I got to thinking if anyone else here has done that or is simply using a "pre-made" pantheon. (in a sense you could say I'm fishing for ideas here:D) So I was wondering, who do you include in your pantheon, and tell us a bit about them. Do they all come from one culture or do you borrow from many cultures(as i do)?

The other half of this thread has to do with the mythologies that surround one's pantheon. Since I'm creating my own pantheon I've also decided to create my own mythology around them. Is there anyone else here who has created or wishes to create their own mythology for their pantheon? Or do you simply prefer to stick with the traditional mythology already in place?

I think I'm confused as to what exactly you are doing. Are you creating your own from scratch, or using certain figures to create your own?

Erebus

I am currently in the process of creating my own pantheon of gods and goddesses and I got to thinking if anyone else here has done that or is simply using a "pre-made" pantheon. (in a sense you could say I'm fishing for ideas here:D) So I was wondering, who do you include in your pantheon, and tell us a bit about them. Do they all come from one culture or do you borrow from many cultures(as i do)?

The other half of this thread has to do with the mythologies that surround one's pantheon. Since I'm creating my own pantheon I've also decided to create my own mythology around them. Is there anyone else here who has created or wishes to create their own mythology for their pantheon? Or do you simply prefer to stick with the traditional mythology already in place?

I tend to change my pantheon quite regularly. Sometimes it will include "artificial" deities, sometimes I will use deities from various cultures. It depends entirely on my mood and what I hope to achieve.

If I create my own deity (I work with archetypes rather than hard and fast rules) I'll tend to think more about the particular theme of that deity rather than create a history for them.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Mine are all Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. I did not choose Them. They chose me. I don't think They will allow outsiders in.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I'm curious, how does one go about creating a pantheon?

I think I'm confused as to what exactly you are doing. Are you creating your own from scratch, or using certain figures to create your own?

To answer both your questions as to how I personally do it, I'm pulling together already established gods and goddesses as well as a few other "non" gods and goddesses from other traditions. Basically finding ones that I like or identify with and bringing them together. For instance I currently have Amaterasu from Japan, Selene from Greece, and Lucifer from Rome. For "non" gods I've currently got Puck as an example. He's not a god but he is a part of my pantheon. There are others but that's just to give an idea.

here's some other questions I have. What do you think of the idea of someone creating their own pantheon of gods? Does your opinion differ depending on whether or not someone creates their pantheon from scratch or from already established figures? What do you think of the idea of someone inventing their own mythology for pre-established figures?

Metalic Wings

Very interesting indeed.

I myself have never created my own mythology. I think I might enjoy it, however, I'm not very good with mythology in the first place.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Mine are all Ancient Egyptian Gods and Goddesses. I did not choose Them. They chose me. I don't think They will allow outsiders in.

hmm... maybe that explains why I haven't identified with them too well and have felt no compunction to bring any of them into my pantheon. Not even Anubis who happens to be my favorite of the Egyptian gods. I still think they are awesome and hold the utmost respect for them. I only pull in a god if I feel they will "fit" and the way I see it its as much them choosing me as it is me choosing them. Indeed there are a few instances where the choice wasn't mine at all, like with my patron goddess Selene. She is the main figure I look to and has been for a couple of years now. I definitely feel like she found me and called me to her. She has been my teacher and guide from almost the beginning of my Pagan journey and even waited patiently for me to come back when I swerved away for a bit to explore other paths, letting me choose for myself where I wanted to go. I have to say I'm glad to have explored but am also glad to be back with her now, I love her so much. It's like I've come home:).

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
I tend to change my pantheon quite regularly. Sometimes it will include "artificial" deities, sometimes I will use deities from various cultures. It depends entirely on my mood and what I hope to achieve.

If I create my own deity (I work with archetypes rather than hard and fast rules) I'll tend to think more about the particular theme of that deity rather than create a history for them.

interesting. I've never heard of someone regularly changing their pantheon. I'm curious for what reasons do you change it so often?

Thanks for the clarification. I understand.

here's some other questions I have. What do you think of the idea of someone creating their own pantheon of gods? Does your opinion differ depending on whether or not someone creates their pantheon from scratch or from already established figures? What do you think of the idea of someone inventing their own mythology for pre-established figures?

Now to this question: It has always happened in someplace or other, that one calls on whichever God/s they felt would be most beneficial. I see what you are doing as nothing different, except that you are establishing a set of beings as your own 'pantheon.' The problem I see with this: If you believe that they are individuals and help you on their own, are you sure that the pantheon you are creating will work together to help you? I see no problem identifying energies for help and questing, but when they are personified it is different. Albeit they are powerful and some gods, but they are individuals and prone to individualism and personality dysfunctions.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Thanks for the clarification. I understand.

Now to this question: It has always happened in someplace or other, that one calls on whichever God/s they felt would be most beneficial. I see what you are doing as nothing different, except that you are establishing a set of beings as your own 'pantheon.' The problem I see with this: If you believe that they are individuals and help you on their own, are you sure that the pantheon you are creating will work together to help you? I see no problem identifying energies for help and questing, but when they are personified it is different. Albeit they are powerful and some gods, but they are individuals and prone to individualism and personality dysfunctions.

lol. indeed. I actually view the gods as more aspects of my subconscious and as "energies" and forces around me and within me than actual literal beings. But that being the case they are still personifications that take on the shape of "actual" beings in my minds eye and as a result will develop(or already have developed) personalities that may or may not be compatible with eachother. If Ifind a certain god no longer "fits" I will certainly "let the god go" as it were. I may view them as parts of my subconscious but that does not give me the right or the power to "hold on" to them should they "wish to leave" Indeed I would not be able to stop them or force them and to attempt to do so would just be psychologically unhealthy for me.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
To answer both your questions as to how I personally do it, I'm pulling together already established gods and goddesses as well as a few other "non" gods and goddesses from other traditions. Basically finding ones that I like or identify with and bringing them together. For instance I currently have Amaterasu from Japan, Selene from Greece, and Lucifer from Rome. For "non" gods I've currently got Puck as an example. He's not a god but he is a part of my pantheon. There are others but that's just to give an idea.

Ahh... that's what I thought :)

here's some other questions I have. What do you think of the idea of someone creating their own pantheon of gods?

As an eclectic, it's what I do :) (or did...)

Does your opinion differ depending on whether or not someone creates their pantheon from scratch or from already established figures?

Not really. In a sense, creating gods from scratch seems like writing your own stories with your own characters. With a different intent, of course, than just writing it for the sake of it... that's most likely how myths and legends started :)

What do you think of the idea of someone inventing their own mythology for pre-established figures?

Again, I see it as story telling.

I'm not patronizing by calling it story-telling, quite the opposite. Story-telling is very powerful in my opinion... it's how people are remembered through history (like Achilles)

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
hmm... maybe that explains why I haven't identified with them too well and have felt no compunction to bring any of them into my pantheon. Not even Anubis who happens to be my favorite of the Egyptian gods. I still think they are awesome and hold the utmost respect for them. I only pull in a god if I feel they will "fit" and the way I see it its as much them choosing me as it is me choosing them. Indeed there are a few instances where the choice wasn't mine at all, like with my patron goddess Selene. She is the main figure I look to and has been for a couple of years now. I definitely feel like she found me and called me to her. She has been my teacher and guide from almost the beginning of my Pagan journey and even waited patiently for me to come back when I swerved away for a bit to explore other paths, letting me choose for myself where I wanted to go. I have to say I'm glad to have explored but am also glad to be back with her now, I love her so much. It's like I've come home:).
I feel I have been very fortunate. Being chosen is, of course, the best feeling and I feel so fortunate for that. I have had many Gods and Goddesses come to me but six of Them stand out front, For the Ones that have moved Themselves to the front of the line I was able to learn about Them and figure out why They came to me. Before They made Themselves known to me I did not research Them at all. I was worried that prior knowledge may influence my thoughts and make me think I was having a vision of Them when I wasn't. Waiting and learning after has shown me that the visions I received were genuine and it is just so awesome. :)

Most of you will probably find this funny, but I am Catholic and use a number of ancient gods in my pantheon. I revere many deities, as well as saints. I honor the green man, freyr, inanna, marduk, set, isis and others... And yes, the Egyptian gods do work well with Jesus.lol. I can't say that I give the pagan spirits the same veneration as the trinity and Mary, but they do hold a special place in my spiritual walk. Hope this helps. And yes, sometimes I use archetypes as reference for my deity using in the great work. Studying the cabbala will definitely help since it allows you to pigeon hole deity by aspect and symbol.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
OK, from the thread linked in my sig:
There are two categories of deities: sidhe-deities and metaphor-deities.

Sidhe-deities are just extremely powerful sidhe. I classify them as deities, because I find it quite likely that some ancient god-concepts may have been based on encounters with such beings. For instance, the Old Norse gods, who had the unique quality of NOT being immortal - they could be injured or killed.

I also have no trouble believing that El, the original patron deity of the Hebrews was, in fact, a patron sidhe.

Metaphor-deities are more complicated, and more interesting. I actually revere them, whereas I simply acknowledge the sidhe deities. A friend dubbed the metaphor-deities "the Pantheon of Dreams." I like that, so I use it.

The members of the Pantheon, though revered, are still not to be worshiped. However, I accord them the same formalities due to the gods of other religions (capitalizing pronouns and the like), to emphasize their significance, also to distinguish the deity in the Pantheon from the character in the story.

That significance, and accompanying reverence, is not due to them as beings. After all, most of them are the simplest form, fictional characters. Obviously they are not to be worshiped by any definition. Rather, they are focal points for meditation. They are ideas, given name and form, and ideas are powerful.

Now, why bother with the Pantheon of Dreams? Why should metaphors be accorded any sort of reverence beyond poetic appreciation? A masterful character is an artistic joy, but what lends it theological importance?

The answer lies in the interaction of rhys and arn. Rhys, like matter, is a primal element of reality. It shapes arn and matter as surely as it is shaped in turn. Belief shapes reality. When we create an idea, that idea takes on a life of its own. When that idea takes the form of an entity, metaphor gives birth to sidhe. (For those who have read Gaiman, he expresses this idea far more beautifully than I.)

Off the top of my head, I currently revere:
Dream of the Endless, from Sandman because He so perfectly illustrates the significance of the Pantheon itself.

Naamah and Elua from the Kushiel's Legacy series. Naamah is a patron Goddess of sexuality in all its forms, and Elua patron God of love.

Gollum, LotR for his deppiction of the natrue of "evil."

Londo Mollari, Babylon 5 for his warning of how easily a good person can commit evil deeds.

My major mythologies have all been mentioned: Carey's Kushiel's Legacy, Neil Gaiman, and Babylon 5.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
Ahh... that's what I thought :)

As an eclectic, it's what I do :) (or did...)

Not really. In a sense, creating gods from scratch seems like writing your own stories with your own characters. With a different intent, of course, than just writing it for the sake of it... that's most likely how myths and legends started :)

Again, I see it as story telling.

I'm not patronizing by calling it story-telling, quite the opposite. Story-telling is very powerful in my opinion... it's how people are remembered through history (like Achilles)
Oh, I didn't see the comment as patronizing at all. As a story teller and writer myself I actually see that opinion as highly complimentary.

Erebus

interesting. I've never heard of someone regularly changing their pantheon. I'm curious for what reasons do you change it so often?

Central to my belief system is chaos (both the greek notion and the modern notion of randomness/unpredictability) and embracing the positive and negative qualities of existence roughly equally. For this reason my spirituality tends to be somewhat whimsical and amoral. I believe that humans restrict themselves far too much in a variety of ways, be it socially, sexually or spiritually and so rather than embrace a single pantheon fully (as I have been tempted to do in the past) I prefer to think of myself as a spiritual "freelancer" serving any deity for a short time in return for knowledge, fulfilment etc. I'm not too fussy about whether my deities exist or not, as I seek to embrace all existence, which would inevitably include the fictional :cool:

It's a bit difficult to explain, but hopefully that should do. Let me know if you want me to go into further detail and I'll be more than happy to spew out a page of the random nonsense that is my spirituality ;)