• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Palestianian atheist arrested

Midnight Pete

Be thankful you live where you do! Be thankful you are not forced to wear hajib or burqa and be a non-person your whole life. Be thankful for your rights as an individual.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I'm definitely glad for where I live, though I'm not fond of the government too often. The specific city in which I live is very liberal and open-minded... it's very common to see whole swathes of diversity of race, religion, culture, and identity everywhere you go here so much that even conservatives that live here don't even bat an eye when they see things different than they are.

When that guy was going to burn the Quran in Florida, people organized a vigil in the main park to read from several holy texts (particularly the Quran) -- in attendance were Muslims, Jews, Christians, Hindus, people from religions I probably couldn't even pronounce, atheists, black people, white people, straight people, gay people.

It was everything the American dream is supposed to be IMHO: the melting pot and the salad bowl at the same time -- people mix together as one society, as brothers and sisters; but they still have their identity.

Oh, and I should mention it's really, really nice to have a bill of rights that protects us from asinine nonsense like religious thought police. The world will be a better place when all religious thought police (and thought police in general) in the world vanish forever.

Midnight Pete

Oh, and I should mention it's really, really nice to have a bill of rights that protects us from asinine nonsense like religious thought police. The world will be a better place when all religious thought police (and thought police in general) in the world vanish forever.

Yeah, maybe. But what would it take to make all religious thought police go away? Something worse than religious thought police, that's what!

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Yeah, maybe. But what would it take to make all religious thought police go away? Something worse than religious thought police, that's what!

Not necessarily, America moved away from Puritanical oppression, witch trials, misogyny, and racism over time. We who live right now are witnessing America move away from homophobia in our lifetimes. The world does become a better place over time given there's education and tolerance to set an example for those who are filled with hatred.

The problem is that some governments and people do everything they can to shelter people from tolerance, labelling it as a "corruption" of the West. So it's not going to happen easily or anytime soon, but freedom isn't a unique idea... it's like a pheonix.

The idea of the round table at Camelot died long ago but that idea came back, and it will come back again and again all around the world because basic human dignity and rights are in the backs of all of our minds no matter how much our governments try to brainwash us.

Edit: In fact, this individual who's been arrested is an example of the idea cropping up even in the worst of places! Over time, all it will take is more and more to break the floodgates...

Last edited:

Midnight Pete

How do you feel about Communism as a remedy to religion? An anti-religion, if you will? That will certainly get rid of religious thought-police. Destroying churches, killing clergymen, intimidating churchgoers ... but after that you're left with a Stalin-like dictator in charge of everything. And in place of the religious thought police you have a secular, more Orwellian thought-police.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
How do you feel about Communism as a remedy to religion? An anti-religion, if you will? That will certainly get rid of religious thought-police. Destroying churches, killing clergymen, intimidating churchgoers ... but after that you're left with a Stalin-like dictator in charge of everything. And in place of the religious thought police you have a secular, more Orwellian thought-police.

What a goofy straw man. I don't see anyone here advocating anything of the sort.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

But in my post I also said the world would be better without thought police in general as well as religious thought police, which includes the authoritarian example you just gave :p

Midnight Pete

There are intellectuals within Islam, aren't there? There must be.

Or are we assuming that intellectuals are a seperate category?

Sahar

Well, it depends on the content. Being atheist, calling for atheism or arguing against Islam shouldn't be a problem, I believe. However, obscenity towards the sacred figures in Islam might constitute a problem.

Last edited: