• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagans & Proselytising

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Time for a rehash of an old topic. One of the few generalisations about Pagans which actually sticks is that we don't proselytise our practises & beliefs to others - we don't engage in missionary work or actively seek converts. I don't do it because to me it's cringy as ****.

But could there be justification for actively seeking to spread some cults? As an example: Dionysos, in his stories, actively spread his cult around the Mediterranean and beyond - moving from city-to-city to introduce the people to his rites & worship. Is there room in contemporary Pagan practises for similar activities to spread the worship of the Old & New Gods (by 'New Gods' I mean the 'Horned God' and 'Goddess' worshipped most often in Wicca)?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
I could totally see a proselytization of the general worldview and morality, which could also be labeled as proselytization against the dominant religious ideas. The goal would be to dispel certain ideas like eternal afterlife torture, the need for a salvation, original sin (or sin at all), science as an evil entity, sex as a bad thing, general body shaming, homophobia, gender inequalities, and anything else the "big three" have preached to be "evil." We wouldn't have to put our views in their place, but just working to get rid of some of the more harmful aspects that have been put on our societies would be, in my opinion, a very worthy cause. I know there are some people who already try to do this, a lot of atheists do it as well (I would say they go about it in a rather blunt and often counterproductive way, but the sentiment is there). I could see us picking it up, like a campaign against fear and oppression.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I am not interested in proselytizing or welcoming people into my spiritual-religious system because the vast majority of people simply are not worthy of it. I am not interested in people who are looking to follow, but those who are naturally compelled to contribute, in a way that is harmony with both my Weltanschauung and True Will and their's.

This is incredibly rare. I am, however. already aligned with a select few individuals, a coterie of sorts, who inspire and motivate each other, challenge and test each other, and deeply contribute to each other's spiritual-religious aspirations. At this time, there is no need to extend that relationship to anyone else.

Despite this, I am still compelled to share and discuss certain things about my spiritual-religious system with seemingly random people, perhaps out of respect and honor for God(s), but also to reflect on my own thoughts and to utilize certain opportunities to explore spiritual and religious strength, power, wisdom and beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Time for a rehash of an old topic. One of the few generalisations about Pagans which actually sticks is that we don't proselytise our practises & beliefs to others - we don't engage in missionary work or actively seek converts. I don't do it because to me it's cringy as ****.

But could there be justification for actively seeking to spread some cults? As an example: Dionysos, in his stories, actively spread his cult around the Mediterranean and beyond - moving from city-to-city to introduce the people to his rites & worship. Is there room in contemporary Pagan practises for similar activities to spread the worship of the Old & New Gods (by 'New Gods' I mean the 'Horned God' and 'Goddess' worshipped most often in Wicca)?

I feel the difference between evangelizing in the abrahamic sense and Paganism (and other like-paths) is the political side of it not the sharing of our paths.

For example, I don't mind sharing what I believe in with someone who is interested regardless their religion and what their religion says about me. However, one think I wouldn't do is promote my path as the one truth nor would I say others are wrong or misled regardless if I feel they are or not.

Once a year we have Pagan Pride Festivals and unfortunately not in my area, we have public festivals with a plethora of people who consider themselves under the Pagan and pagan umbrella. That is one way to "spread the news" is to have these public festivals.

I've never liked the belief that "pagans don't evangalize and that's what makes us cool" mentality, though. I feel like other religious who are pagan but consider themselves X of their own culture or tribe, if someone asks "are you pagan" we should be able to say "yes, I am." We shouldn't have to hide as our ancestors did, at least not in America, and we shouldn't need to keep the traditions that promote secrecy of educating the general public about our faith in a general sense (not coven sense).

I feel like I'm in jail when I cannot express myself. So, being hidden and staying in the "broom closet" does the opposite with how I express my faith. At the end it is one's personal decision. As a whole, as long as it isn't pushing other people's beliefs to the side, I see no problem with it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
If you live your religion as way-of-life, inevitably you are acting as an emissary for the gods you honor. Not in the sense we typically think about with proselytizing, though. It's showing devotion to the gods through action. If that inspires some others to follow along the way, so be it. It's unlikely they'll view it as in service to the gods we worship, but who cares? The impacts are the measure, yes?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I feel the difference between evangelizing in the abrahamic sense and Paganism (and other like-paths) is the political side of it not the sharing of our paths.

For example, I don't mind sharing what I believe in with someone who is interested regardless their religion and what their religion says about me. However, one think I wouldn't do is promote my path as the one truth nor would I say others are wrong or misled regardless if I feel they are or not.

Once a year we have Pagan Pride Festivals and unfortunately not in my area, we have public festivals with a plethora of people who consider themselves under the Pagan and pagan umbrella. That is one way to "spread the news" is to have these public festivals.

I've never liked the belief that "pagans don't evangalize and that's what makes us cool" mentality, though. I feel like other religious who are pagan but consider themselves X of their own culture or tribe, if someone asks "are you pagan" we should be able to say "yes, I am." We shouldn't have to hide as our ancestors did, at least not in America, and we shouldn't need to keep the traditions that promote secrecy of educating the general public about our faith in a general sense (not coven sense).

I feel like I'm in jail when I cannot express myself. So, being hidden and staying in the "broom closet" does the opposite with how I express my faith. At the end it is one's personal decision. As a whole, as long as it isn't pushing other people's beliefs to the side, I see no problem with it.

I totally get what you're saying here. If we can't express who we are publicly then it feels like a prison. I wouldn't consider this proselytising though. What I mean by that word is doing stuff with the explicit goal of converting people to worshipping the Old Gods; of convincing them that because Pagan worldviews are of benefit to us that it will necessarily be of benefit to them as well. You know, things like dedicated missionary work, street preaching and so on. Not the things Pagans sometimes do with the goal of convincing people we don't actually believe what people are led to think we believe.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I don't know if it's "proselytizing" per se, but I usually share openly my Heathen faith and worship of Thor when people comment on my behavior, loyalty, respect, etc. I essentially use any opportunity to show "This is what Heathenry is, and this is what we do."

Miles

I don't think I have any place proselytizing to anyone, both for moral treat-others-as-you-want-to-be-treated reasons and because it seems arrogant and like I'm saying that my religion is better than theirs. which seems fundamentally anti-Hellenic (because who am I to say that I know better than a god, even one that I don't worship? seems prideful and hostile tbh) and anti-Luciferian (because it's pushing my subjective interpretation of the universe as actual truth and disrupting someone else's search for knowledge).

Besides, my faith is so uncommon. Luciferianism, Druidry, Hellenism, and Christianity together? How would I even spread that?