• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pagan vs Christian mentality

syo

Pagans worship their Gods and they also respect all the Gods of other pagan religions. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.

Christians, however, worship their God and they attack all the other Gods as fakes. :confused:

Which mentality is better?

In my opinion, pagans do the right thing. :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Generally speaking, I think this is at least one reason why Hindus tend to be more tolerant along these lines. It is a religion that believes in many manifestations of Brahma, and some Hindus believe that they are actually separate deities. Some actually are non-theistic, thus having no belief in a creator-god.

leov

Pagans worship their Gods and they also respect all the Gods of other pagan religions. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, etc.

Christians, however, worship their God and they attack all the other Gods as fakes. :confused:

The Christ Principle was changed into Jesus Principle at some point of history when Christianity was lost.
19"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them". Rom1.

GoodbyeDave

There are no pagans left, buddy. Just people playing a cosplay act.
That's a very arrogant attitude. Many Hindus identify as pagan, as can be seen from a thread on this site. Shinto and Shenjiao (China) are pagan. Millions of Africans are pagan. Or are you confusing "pagan" with "neopagan"?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Pagans follow Jesus His command "thou shall not judge"

Reactions: syo

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As for the OP, it's unfair to characterize Christianity as attacking all other gods as fake. Christianity is a diverse religious movement and while there is certainly a fair share of exclusivists with the "attack/fake" attitude, there's also certainly a fair share of inclusivists and pluralist who do not engage in such behaviors or judgements.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender

Depends on what they view as truth.

If a people are monotheistic or henotheistic they view him as true and act accordingly according to his dictates.

Pagans generally have no problem adopting foreign Gods into their own beliefs. Egypt for instance adopted Canaanite and Nubian gods and they even joined together to create a composite god at times.

I think that the pagans had a more sophisticated view of what a god is and what they represent. Foreign Gods were often adopted to say that the nation dominated another nations god or the composite god represented the union of two nations.

Even the Bible shows this mentality when Israel started to take on the worship of foreign gods with YHWH being one of them.

One can see the church adopting mythologies even. Such as the rebellious angels being sent down to Tartarus in Revelation which resembles the Titans being thrown down to Tartarus as well. The church adopted pagan rites and symbolism into their religious practice or festivals maybe to appease pagans.

Also, monotheistic religions might have been used to have absolute power over worshippers whereas the multiple gods in other religions might cause people to be acceptable of a wide variety of different practices and cause the elite to have less power over the people.

This is just my thoughts though.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I agree. My Master taught me always to respect other Religions (never belittle their Religion, nor their God, nor their practices).

Coincidentally the thought of the Day in His Ashram was about this: No one, not even a great spiritual personality (maha-purusha) or Avatar, can ever escape criticism and blame. So, let aspirants keep away from all such waverers and ignorant people, and desist from discussing their beliefs and convictions with them.
http://media.radiosai.org/sai_inspires/2020/SI_20200122.htm

Last edited:

Galateasdream

I guess whether it's morally right or not depends upon a number of factors.

For example, to many exclusivist Christians the reason they attack other religions as wrong is that they sincerely believe them to actually be both wrong and dangerous.

Now, they may be wrong (or right!), but I don't think you could fault their motive here.

So how you judge their morality kinda depends on your own ethical POV, and whether you think they are right (obviously you don't).

Heyo

Veteran Member
As for the OP, it's unfair to characterize Christianity as attacking all other gods as fake. Christianity is a diverse religious movement and while there is certainly a fair share of exclusivists with the "attack/fake" attitude, there's also certainly a fair share of inclusivists and pluralist who do not engage in such behaviors or judgements.
There are so many different Christian positions that the word "Christian" has become a category without meaning but I know f no Christian sect that officially tolerates paganism (except UU but they hardly qualify as Christian).

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There are so many different Christian positions that the word "Christian" has become a category without meaning but I know f no Christian sect that officially tolerates paganism (except UU but they hardly qualify as Christian).

It depends on what you mean by "tolerate." If by "tolerate" we mean "yup, we disagree with your religious practices but let bygones be bygones" there are plenty of tolerant Christian groups out there in my experience. Some of them even basically act like Pagans anyway (I'm looking at you, Fransiscans).

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

I find that Polytheism as a whole is much more inclusive of and tolerant of Multiculturalism, then the Monotheistic Faiths, I don't know if it is Pagan v Christian per se. It's why I prefer Gods to God;d is to be celebrated, not broken down and assimilated. Otherwise we lose many important ways of viewing the world, and may miss out on crucial information that could advance our species.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that Polytheism as a whole is much more inclusive of and tolerant of Multiculturalism, then the Monotheistic Faiths, I don't know if it is Pagan v Christian per se. It's why I prefer Gods to God;d is to be celebrated, not broken down and assimilated. Otherwise we lose many important ways of viewing the world, and may miss out on crucial information that could advance our species.

There's something to be said for the notion that monotheism inherently breeds exclusivism. After all, when your theological position entails declaring "there is no god but God" that inherently negates and dismisses other theological positions. It's been said by folks wiser on the history of this than myself that monotheism basically invented religious intolerance. How true that is I cannot say, but it makes sense from a logical standpoint if nothing else. Monotheism doesn't have to be exclusivist, though, which is important to understand. Some feel making those compromises represents a weakening of the faith. Perhaps they have a point in that, but if you want to get along with your neighbor instead of beating them down with a stick (or a quill in the case of "culture wars") it's good to offer a little leeway to tolerate other points of view, as you say.