• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Overcoming The Brainwashing

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
If you were like me, then you grew up going to church with your parents. Every Sunday morning was a guaranteed trip, unless you were on your death bed with the flu. For years, you heard the same old stories about Adam and Eve, Noah, Moses, Jesus and sin. As a child, you took it all for granted.

In your later teen years, you probably slowed down on church attendance, which led to some verbal altercations with your parents (especially mom). You started thinking for yourself and in doing so, had some questions about what you had been taught. Those questions made you feel uneasy, perhaps even blasphemous. There was this gnawing feeling going on in the back of your mind, that something was not quite right about your religion/denomination.

In your twenties, it was all about college, military service, getting a job, starting a family, and dealing with the deaths of loved ones (family, friends, acquaintances). Church took a backseat to life, and you moved forward on your chosen path. You learned that high school was meaningless in the grand scheme of things, and the people that you hated probably developed a different attitude over time. Heck, some of them might have become your friends.

As you reached your thirties and beyond, you felt like something was missing in your life. Looking back over it all, you realized that you longed for some type of religious environment, HOWEVER, you simply could not go back to your roots. You are a free thinker and those questions that you had as a teenager, were answered with common sense: that stuff was not literal. There, you said it and came to terms!

Now you have to make a decision regarding your children: take them down that same path your parents forced on you, or choose an alternate path. You probably explore different religions/denominations, and do a lot of soul searching. Non-denominational churches might appeal to you, or even some liberal churches like a UU fellowship. Sunday School has been replaced with "life groups" that meet at someone's home, instead of Sunday morning before the main service.

Unfortunately, it took decades of growing up, experiencing life, being let down, feeling pain and sorrow, loss and heartache, and having several unanswered prayers before you came to the conclusion that God does not really intervene. Bad things happen to good people because the world can be a bad place, and some of the people in it choose to do bad things. At this point, you embrace the idea of free will. Another way of looking at it is that free will lets God off the hook for all the bad stuff, so you feel better about believing in Him without wanting to cuss Him out. The Bible stories are just that; STORIES, told by primitive people trying to explain the world around them, with very limited scientific and medical knowledge.

In the end, that gnawing feeling has gone away and you find yourself at ease because FINALLY, you have been able to let go of your childhood brainwashing and indoctrination into a rigid religious system.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like your descriptions of the phases one's faith goes through which you experienced. I can relate to the whole being forced to change how one thinks about or images God to be when confronted with certain tough realities that make it hard to explain if God is what we imagined him to be. What this is is a letting go of our ideas we were programmed to believe. It's like letting go of a certain security blanket that was allowed to become part of us into adulthood, when we should have let go of it already in our early childhood. But unfortunately with the state of religion being what is was, our parents didn't understand there was something innately immature about such beliefs, imagining God as a sky parent watching our every move and watching out for us at every turn. So they didn't know better to guide the child into more mature thought, into a more supportable and sustainable faith.

Allowing our beliefs the freedom to change and evolve will aide us in our search for spiritual growth, rather than beliefs becoming a shackle around our necks. To break that shackle is an act of true courage and faith.

Corthos

Great Old One
Wow... I'm amazed how similar my experience has been to yours, though I guess that just highlights how childhood indoctrination works in the general sense.

For myself, I would say that with that dispellment of the "gnawing" and realization came a revitalization for my faith in God... Maybe not Yahweh, but now I'm not just confined to him, but can take an HONEST and OPEN look at other faiths to find which one rings the most true for me and how I view the world. =)

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What's funny (insert other appropriate descriptor) is that the more people I talk to, the more I realize that a LARGE crowd of "Christians" feel the exact same way that I do, but they don't know where to turn or how to describe their feelings/beliefs. When I tell them about deism, which many have never heard of, the light bulb goes on inside their head and they have a startling realization that there is a belief system that describes exactly how they feel. Many have been so brainwashed from an early age, that to go against the upbringing makes them feel awkward. That awkwardness is the guilt trip that comes with daring to think for yourself, outside of the box. It does not feel natural or "safe," so people don't know how to handle it.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is unnerving in that you're stepping into a sort of no-man's land. You don't have the surrounding support structures and communities as you did previously. Then there is a matter of taking the time necessary to sort things out for yourself once you have the freedom to do so. You can try this and try that, and they all have value-add in that something attracted you to it to begin with. The thing to watch out for is that you will be tempted to bring certain habits of thinking with you which underlay whatever you approach to belive in. You have to be careful that you're not just finding a new belief that you now call "The Truth!" as you were trained to view your beliefs previously. I've found the open-handed approach to these things, recognizing they are all points of view that hold truth from one perspective or another is much better and useful than trying to find Answers with a capital A.

Deism for instance is attractive because it frees the rational mind to consider God rationally. Is that the end all be all "Truth" for your life? I would say any view of God is partial, and gleaning the best of them is beneficial. Atheism holds truth too. So do some various types theism, if they meet you with where you are at. What I found is more useful to do is find what is compatable with who you are and who you are becoming. Work with that and see where it leads you, not being beholding to any one point of view as the definitive truth for all.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
It is unnerving in that you're stepping into a sort of no-man's land. You don't have the surrounding support structures and communities as you did previously. Then there is a matter of taking the time necessary to sort things out for yourself once you have the freedom to do so. You can try this and try that, and they all have value-add in that something attracted you to it to begin with. The thing to watch out for is that you will be tempted to bring certain habits of thinking with you which underlay whatever you approach to belive in. You have to be careful that you're not just finding a new belief that you now call "The Truth!" as you were trained to view your beliefs previously. I've found the open-handed approach to these things, recognizing they are all points of view that hold truth from one perspective or another is much better and useful than trying to find Answers with a capital A.

Deism for instance is attractive because it frees the rational mind to consider God rationally. Is that the end all be all "Truth" for your life? I would say any view of God is partial, and gleaning the best of them is beneficial. Atheism holds truth too. So do some various types theism, if they meet you with where you are at. What I found is more useful to do is find what is compatable with who you are and who you are becoming. Work with that and see where it leads you, not being beholding to any one point of view as the definitive truth for all.

I have been a deist for years. I have never felt so at ease.

Corthos

Great Old One
I think it depends on what you want out of your faith (or lack there of), and what kind of person you are. Are you a left brained analytical sort? Are you a right brained artistic sort? A little of both? How does God fit into your views, and what place do you want him to take?

For me, something like Gathic Zoroastrianism is attractive based on it's artistic origins and practices (which appeals to my right brained, spiritual side), it's code (good thoughts, good words, and good deeds), it's historic significance (I've always loved ancient history) it's general pacifist views, and it's vagueness of real world concepts/encouragement for truth seeking (which appeals to my left brained, analytical side).

I will do more research before diving in... but that's where I'm at right now. =)

David1967

Premium Member
What's funny (insert other appropriate descriptor) is that the more people I talk to, the more I realize that a LARGE crowd of "Christians" feel the exact same way that I do, but they don't know where to turn or how to describe their feelings/beliefs. When I tell them about deism, which many have never heard of, the light bulb goes on inside their head and they have a startling realization that there is a belief system that describes exactly how they feel. Many have been so brainwashed from an early age, that to go against the upbringing makes them feel awkward. That awkwardness is the guilt trip that comes with daring to think for yourself, outside of the box. It does not feel natural or "safe," so people don't know how to handle it.

For myself RF has been great. It gives me an outlet to discuss issues of faith and doubt that I could never bring up in church.