• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outward signs?

paganprince

cerridwen devotee
i carry a celtic tree of life necklace, an awen necklace, or even just a simple crystal wherever i go. it means something to me, and if i happen to meet any strangers that share my faith, then that's an added bonus!

Goodman John

I haven't worn any religious symbols for years- I had a cross WAY back in my middle-school days, but that was it.

As a Cathar (or my poor approximation of the faith) I don't have any specific 'symbol', but the 'Occitan Cross' (see my avatar pic) was used back in the Middle Ages as an honor to those French nobles who protected Cathars in their lands, especially when the Church and the Inquisition were all in an uproar over them. Historically, though, the Cathars specifically rejected the Christian cross as they considered it to be an evil instrument of torture and death with nothing good about it literally or figuratively.

Think about it: If President Kennedy came back, how do you think he'd feel if he was welcomed by a crowd wearing rifle necklaces and carrying signs with rifles all over them? I can't speak for Jesus, but it's not unreasonable to think he wouldn't want to be reminded of how he died horribly every time he sees a 'follower'.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

As a Cathar (or my poor approximation of the faith) I don't have any specific 'symbol', but the 'Occitan Cross' (see my avatar pic)

Oh ! I actually thought you were french and coming from the same région ! (Occitania, in the SW) :D
This cross is everywhere, even on our local flag !

About the topic at hand, I Wear a small copper locket with Ganesha yantra for protection, like this one
ganesha-yantra-locket-copper-a.jpg

I also have a ritual tattoo, but it's not visible unless I'm topless x'D it's in the Solar plexus.

Wearing them for ritualistic and superstition purpose, not to put a public display of my religion.

Goodman John

Oh ! I actually thought you were french and coming from the same région ! (Occitania, in the SW) :D
This cross is everywhere, even on our local flag !

No, I live in America, though I was stationed in Germany in the mid-late 80's and got to travel a bit. This was before I took an interest in the Cathars (I hadn't even heard of them at that time) and had no clue about the history of the Occitan region. I was in the neighborhood by chance, though, being sent to Orange for a few weeks to do some training with the French Foreign Legion. If I had known, I'd have gone back down to Toulouse and Carcassonne and other sites down that way. I'd love to see the region again, this time with a new perspective.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
No, I live in America, though I was stationed in Germany in the mid-late 80's and got to travel a bit. This was before I took an interest in the Cathars (I hadn't even heard of them at that time) and had no clue about the history of the Occitan region. I was in the neighborhood by chance, though, being sent to Orange for a few weeks to do some training with the French Foreign Legion. If I had known, I'd have gone back down to Toulouse and Carcassonne and other sites down that way. I'd love to see the region again, this time with a new perspective.

Vanakkam,

You're most welcome anytime ! Carcassonne is a great place to visit if you're interested in some History. There is also a lot of small old places related to Cathares history scattered around the region, you can find more here:

Les sites Pays Cathare

Toulouse is a nice city to visit for good food and Christian History, but as for the Cathares, the true gems are out on the countryside

I'm happy to see people from other countries taking interest in this part of History of my birthplace. Even in France, a lot of people don't know about the Cathares... There is a kind of revival of local culture in occitania tho since a few years, the cities names are both in french and occitan, and the occitan language is taught in schools now

Last edited: