• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Outlawing Homosexuality Farcical

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Teachers would often punish left handed people and try to make them right handed. People punish all kinds of innate qualities. It's sad.
Yes, but I think that one is history. This one, that of being homosexual or anything besides that one way, may take longer. But if there are 13 countries that have the death penalty, that means there are 190 or so that don't. The death penalty also exists for apostacy.

Progressive? Try regressive.

Psalm23

Can you? Of course you can but why? Are you attempting to reproduce maximally?

If you:
  • have leisure time
  • don't take every opportunity to reproduce
  • masturbate
  • eat food for flavor rather than for maximal nutrition
  • sleep more than is needed
  • believe that each child needs an amount of attention which is individual to their case
  • don't adopt orphans whenever you can
  • don't donate to orphanages
  • don't live in an orderly and systematic fashion
  • take stimulants or depressants
  • overindulge
  • support war in any way
Why would you even spare a thought for outlawing homosexuality? Its simply not as important as any of the above, not in a religious sense.

I don't believe homosexual actions are morally good. However I don't believe homosexuality or homosexual relationships should be outlawed. I believe in the freedom for people to marry whether it's to the opposite sex or the same.

Outlawing homosexuality would only lead to more hate and discrimination against gay people. They get enough of that mess already.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe homosexual actions are morally good. However I don't believe homosexuality or homosexual relationships should be outlawed. I believe in the freedom for people to marry whether it's to the opposite sex or the same.

Outlawing homosexuality would only lead to more hate and discrimination against gay people. They get enough of that mess already.
I understand. Some things need laws against, and some don't. I don't need anyone to outlaw coffee. I can quit on my own any time I'm ready.

Psalm23

I understand. Some things need laws against, and some don't. I don't need anyone to outlaw coffee. I can quit on my own any time I'm ready.

I don't consider that a good comparison. I'm not suggesting people can quit being homosexual whenever they wish.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't consider that a good comparison. I'm not suggesting people can quit being homosexual whenever they wish.
Its not a great comparison. I was going for something non controversial and didn't think about that aspect!

Coffee is in the end a choice usually. I am not a regular coffee drinker, now. I drink chocolate instead, pure baking chocolate in hot water. Sometimes I drink it straight like that, and its good. Its very tasty if you do it right. Its even better with cream. Sometimes I'll use butter, though butter tends to float on top instead of blending in. When I use butter I call it "Buffalo chocolate."

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
It's disgusting to see someone making up excuses after using evidence to demonstrate that they believe it's morally justified for two IRANIAN and/or NIGERIAN HOMOSEXUAL men to be sentenced with the death penalty just for having sex with each other.

If someone genuinely believes they are doing the “right” thing by opposing homosexuality and supporting laws that punish homosexual behavior, it is morally justified, regardless of how anybody else feels about it.

night912

If someone genuinely believes they are doing the “right” thing by opposing homosexuality and supporting laws that punish homosexual behavior, it is morally justified, regardless of how anybody else feels about it.
Do you believe it's morally justified to kill some homosexuals and others?

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Do you believe it's morally justified to kill some homosexuals and others?

That depends on who you ask. It may or may not be “morally justified”, as morality is subjective.

I personally do not find it “moral” or “immoral”, but I can understand and even respect why other people may or may not feel “morally justified” in taking a life.

Shaul

Premium Member
Homosexuals are more likely to commit suicide than heterosexuals. Homosexuals are more likely to experience domestic violence from their partners too. Their life expectancy is also shorter. Their rates of STDs and drug use are also higher. It is easier for homosexuals to decry others than to fix their own problems.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I do not believe the difference between homosexuals and heterosexuals is a moral one.
It is a natural sexual orientation.
However ones attitude to people of different sexual orientations does raise moral issues.
These can largely be classified as hate issues, and and not only morally wrong but often illegal.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Homosexuals are more likely to commit suicide than heterosexuals. Homosexuals are more likely to experience domestic violence from their partners too. Their life expectancy is also shorter. Their rates of STDs and drug use are also higher. It is easier for homosexuals to decry others than to fix their own problems.

As if we are not a community-based species and the social environment has no impact on the individual...

I suspect that as society becomes more accepting and open to lgbt communities, these issues will continue to match the rates seen in non-lgbt folks.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Lev. 18:23?

You shall not lie with any animal to defile yourself with it; neither shall any woman give herself to an animal, to lie down with it: it is a perversion.
Lev. 18:23
I would say that is gross and probably unsafe but not something which needs a legal penalty.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Does that then mean it is then ok to do so? And if it is then ok, are also the other things then ok, like Lev. 18:23?

You shall not lie with any animal to defile yourself with it; neither shall any woman give herself to an animal, to lie down with it: it is a perversion.
Lev. 18:23

The thing is the mindset and context were so different back then. You really have to know the historical and cultural context of why something was written. The issue was not doing what others cultures did. To be clean, they had to be totally unlike the other cultures around them. Greek culture allowed for men to sleep with boys and men of a lower social level. Other cultures must have had animals in their sex rituals. Just because something was written in the Bible doesn't mean it is written in stone. Some things that were allowed in the OT were not allowed in the NT; some things that were not allowed in the OT were allowed in the NT. The authors had their own agendas. Heck, four differing groups wrote Genesis and they each had their own slant on things. That's why there are contradicting verses. Four different people wrote the gospels, at different times in history when certain things were happening. They differ as well.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The thing is the mindset and context were so different back then. You really have to know the historical and cultural context of why something was written. The issue was not doing what others cultures did. To be clean, they had to be totally unlike the other cultures around them. Greek culture allowed for men to sleep with boys and men of a lower social level. Other cultures must have had animals in their sex rituals. Just because something was written in the Bible doesn't mean it is written in stone. Some things that were allowed in the OT were not allowed in the NT; some things that were not allowed in the OT were allowed in the NT. The authors had their own agendas. Heck, four differing groups wrote Genesis and they each had their own slant on things. That's why there are contradicting verses. Four different people wrote the gospels, at different times in history when certain things were happening. They differ as well.
A good example is the rule against cooking a calf in its mother's milk. What a seemingly random law! As if humans had some inner compulsion to cook calves in milk! We don't. There is no nation in the world which has this rule, except Jews. Its simply not needed in any country that I have ever heard of. Nobody wants to cook calves in milk.

How about that law against mixing cotton with polyester? Only Jews. Seems random to me, because I don't know the culture.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
A good example is the rule against cooking a calf in its mother's milk. What a seemingly random law! As if humans had some inner compulsion to cook calves in milk! We don't. There is no nation in the world which has this rule, except Jews. Its simply not needed in any country that I have ever heard of. Nobody wants to cook calves in milk.

How about that law against mixing cotton with polyester? Only Jews. Seems random to me, because I don't know the culture.

It was a very black and white outlook. Maybe back then what other cultures wore, i.e., mixed materials, were wrong for Hebrew people, so if they wore all the same material, it set them apart. I don't know...it just sounds like a lot of work to me.