• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Origins of Christianity: Is it the "White Man's Religion"...?

dd912

I am finding myself very wary of posting this thread in fear of negative backlash but I am very curious to know others opinion of this topic. My mom has introduced well... more like forced me to watch multiples videos about the origins of Christianity. I even had to do a paper on it. Anyway.. a condense version of what I have learned that the Christianity is not a original religion. It has roots in many other cultures, non European cultures. The cultures include Sumeria, Babylon, and Egyptian references some more obvious then other. What I remember off the top of my head is the similarities between Aset (Isis) and Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. Also Jesus and Horus. I can go into that if anyone would like me to. That is not to say I am an expert at that, I am NOT.

I am asking this because I recently went to a women's christian fellowship thingy with my step-mom and I was very moved by what went on... But I have a hard time with accepting Christianity when I have the things like "White Man's Religion" "The Patchwork Religion" running through my mind. Those aren't the reason I find it difficult to accept but those are the currents issues at the moment.

/watch?v=oWjmbEglYk4
Just add it to the end of the youtube.com/insert it here... I can't add url's yet... bummer.

That is one of the things she had me watch.. or something similar by the same guy. It's "Ray Hagins: What is Christianity" for anyone who doesn't trust urls. I would really love to have someone else's opinion on this. I am pretty confused by all this...

dd912

It is how my mother is introducing it to me... I am african american. And she makes it out to seem like Christianty was created by white people and it is for them. And they stole a lot of their ideas from "our people." I'm sorry if I cam across as racist. I was trying to get my conflicted ideas and feelings across.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The people who say that Christianity is a rip-off or patchwork of other religions and that Jesus is a composite or the same as figures from myth are usually quite ignorant of what the other mythologies actually teach. It's not true.

Christianity was started by Middle Eastern Jews. They would've been short, have brown eyes, brown hair, light brown skin and curly hair. One of the very first Gentile converts to Christianity was a black Ethiopian man.

This is closest to what Jesus would've looked like:

Rostro13.JPG

He was not a white Northern European looking man!

Ray Hagins is a racist fool.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
It is how my mother is introducing it to me... I am african american. And she makes it out to seem like Christianty was created by white people and it is for them. And they stole a lot of their ideas from "our people." I'm sorry if I cam across as racist. I was trying to get my conflicted ideas and feelings across.

Your mother is wrong. I'm half African-American, myself, and I know about the issues that some black people in America have with Christianity, thinking that it's the "white man's religion" that was forced on the slaves and such (even sillier is when black people convert to Islam, which is a real invader's religion and the Muslim Arabs are committing genocide against the black people of Libya and the black Christian people of Sudan). However, Christianity has existed in Africa since it started almost 2,000 years ago, long before European colonization of Africa and the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade.

Eastern Africa was Christian and then the Muslims invaded and converted many of them to Islam, but historic black African Christian communities still exist, such as the Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church.

Christianity in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
I was NOT trying to put that out there. I don't believe that at all.

Hey Good sir, I know haha
My boyfriends Jamaican, from his fathers side, and his family pokes fun at everything being the white mans fault (with good humor) so whenever there's an invitation to repeat an expression I hear often, I accept it lol

I think it's time you fully decipher between your mothers opinions and your own. It sounds as though your figuring it out, but would rather the reassurance.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
I am finding myself very wary of posting this thread in fear of negative backlash but I am very curious to know others opinion of this topic. My mom has introduced well... more like forced me to watch multiples videos about the origins of Christianity. I even had to do a paper on it. Anyway.. a condense version of what I have learned that the Christianity is not a original religion. It has roots in many other cultures, non European cultures. The cultures include Sumeria, Babylon, and Egyptian references some more obvious then other. What I remember off the top of my head is the similarities between Aset (Isis) and Mother Mary and Mary Magdalene. Also Jesus and Horus. I can go into that if anyone would like me to. That is not to say I am an expert at that, I am NOT.

I am asking this because I recently went to a women's christian fellowship thingy with my step-mom and I was very moved by what went on... But I have a hard time with accepting Christianity when I have the things like "White Man's Religion" "The Patchwork Religion" running through my mind. Those aren't the reason I find it difficult to accept but those are the currents issues at the moment.

/watch?v=oWjmbEglYk4
Just add it to the end of the youtube.com/insert it here... I can't add url's yet... bummer.

That is one of the things she had me watch.. or something similar by the same guy. It's "Ray Hagins: What is Christianity" for anyone who doesn't trust urls. I would really love to have someone else's opinion on this. I am pretty confused by all this...

Your best bet is to actually learn REAL history of how the movement started, instead of vids like that. I wont watch it, but im sure it holds no credibility.

Many different mythological aspects were added to the dogma around Christianity. It was created to be appealing to the masses yet follow monotheism to the one god concept.

Follow it if you like, if you don't find another if you think there is a better one out there.

To me they all were based on false history and ancient men's mythology.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I don't know of any religion that is "pure." Every religion is derivative of earlier examples. Perhaps the earliest example of religion is the Sumerian. They seem to be among the oldest that house the base metaphors.

Christianity is most definitely not "white" (and by "white" I'm assuming that your mother means "western European"). Christianity is pan-cultural, although during the past two centuries enjoyed a prosperous stint in the US. Here's an interesting factoid: the geographical area in which Christianity is currently enjoying the most growth is in Africa, among blacks. There are more black African Anglicans than there are white, European and American Anglicans.

Being African American, you might read some of the prominent womanist theological writers, such as Alice Walker, Cheryl Sanders, Karen Baker-Fletcher, Patricia-Ann Johnson and Renita Weems. Womanist theology arose out of the theology of people like James Cone, developer of black theology, Katie Cannon, Jacquelyn Grant, and Delores Williams.

Womanist theology seeks to find a meaningful place for black women in the Christian narratives. You might find it helpful as you seek.

roger1440

I do stuff
Yeah, so. Is there a problem with that? I don't understand what the debate is about.

CynthiaCypher

I don't know of any religion that is "pure." Every religion is derivative of earlier examples. Perhaps the earliest example of religion is the Sumerian. They seem to be among the oldest that house the base metaphors.

Christianity is most definitely not "white" (and by "white" I'm assuming that your mother means "western European"). Christianity is pan-cultural, although during the past two centuries enjoyed a prosperous stint in the US. Here's an interesting factoid: the geographical area in which Christianity is currently enjoying the most growth is in Africa, among blacks. There are more black African Anglicans than there are white, European and American Anglicans.

Being African American, you might read some of the prominent womanist theological writers, such as Alice Walker, Cheryl Sanders, Karen Baker-Fletcher, Patricia-Ann Johnson and Renita Weems. Womanist theology arose out of the theology of people like James Cone, developer of black theology, Katie Cannon, Jacquelyn Grant, and Delores Williams.

Womanist theology seeks to find a meaningful place for black women in the Christian narratives. You might find it helpful as you seek.

I haven't read James Cone in a long time, thanks for the reminder.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hell no it wasn't. If you read Saint Paul you know Jesus died for our racist self to destroy our racial animosity. There is no race in Jesus. All are reconciled in him because he is the All in all.

Amen. We are the Body of Christ and His Body encompasses human beings of all ethnicities, shapes, sizes, etc.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator

/watch?v=oWjmbEglYk4

Maybe, just maybe...how do you "see" Jesus at Christmas? Is He "white", or something other? Does it even matter or not?

No scriptural expertise required in offering a reply, but your answer may reveal more insight for others to share in response. Sunday school teachings may offer differing views within the place(s) you were raised.

"Apologetics" (Christian) may be of some interest to you...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Jesus was a Mediterranean, and Mediterraneans are not white, although they belong to Caucasian group

Reactions: MD