• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Only Democrats want to stop war....as usual.

Daemon Sophic

House Democrats vote to repeal 2001 law used to authorize perpetual war

So, here we are, 18 years after congress abdicated their responsibility to control whether or not our nation goes to war with another. They gave all the power to one human being: the president of the United States of America. Directly contradicting their constitutional duty.

Now, the Democrats in the house have signed a bill (among many since 2018) that retracts/repeals that war authority from the POTUS, and puts the control back into the hands of the people’s representatives, as the US constitution demands.

With Trump, Bolton, Pompeo, and of course McConnell in control of the US war machine, and rattling sabers at Iran, Venezuela, and others...... Do you think that McConnell will try to begin carrying out his duties as leader of the Senate, and let this bill (along with so many others) even come to the floor for discussion?

How much you wanna bet?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

So, here we are, 18 years after congress abdicated their responsibility to control whether or not our nation goes to war with another. They gave all the power to one human being: the president of the United States of America. Directly contradicting their constitutional duty.

Now, the Democrats in the house have signed a bill (among many since 2018) that retracts/repeals that war authority from the POTUS, and puts the control back into the hands of the people’s representatives, as the US constitution demands.

With Trump, Bolton, Pompeo, and of course McConnell in control of the US war machine, and rattling sabers at Iran, Venezuela, and others...... Do you think that McConnell will try to begin carrying out his duties as leader of the Senate, and let this bill (along with so many others) even come to the floor for discussion?

How much you wanna bet?
Did they want to do the same when Obama was president along with a Democratic Congress? If not, is this then just a political stunt because they know it won't pass?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Did they want to do the same when Obama was president?
The first 2 years of the Obama administration were dominated by repairing the damage done by the Bush administration, and getting Republican Healthcare Reform passed.
After that, Capitol Hill was mostly about trashing the USA, so that the Republicans would have things to blame on Obama during the election.
Tom

Kenny

Premium Member
The first 2 years of the Obama administration were dominated by repairing the damage done by the Bush administration, and getting Republican Healthcare Reform passed.
After that, Capitol Hill was mostly about trashing the USA, so that the Republicans would have things to blame on Obama during the election.
Tom
soo... that was 6 years of trashing, correct? :D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Did they want to do the same when Obama was president along with a Democratic Congress? If not, is this then just a political stunt because they know it won't pass?
If you remember correctly, Obama wanted us out of Iraq and Afghanistan, but when he pulled out of Iraq, and then when ISIS took over much of it and Syria, the Pubs essentially "crucified" him.

However, what I did criticize Obama for, to the point of being quite angry with him, was his heavy use of drone kills that also killed many civilians.

Anyhow, I do believe we've given the Executive Branch way too much leeway when it comes to "war". IMO, anything short of a nuclear attack should be referred to Congress to make the decision as to whether to attack a foreign power.

Flame

Beware
You would think.

Still, I do have the kind of view that maybe we should just let or themselves, and just come to the aid of any of our allies should it ever be requested.

I'm of the same mindset. Let other countries deal with their issues and if aid is requested then send food/medical supplies/weapons.

Daemon Sophic

Still, I do have the kind of view that maybe we should just let countries fend for themselves, and just come to the aid of any of our allies should it ever be requested.
I'm of the same mindset. Let other countries deal with their issues and if aid is requested then send food/medical supplies/weapons.
These are fine and all; although we could debate the value and feasibility of a laissez faire attitude in the face of international travel, communication, and economics another time.

Right now, do you think it is right that any POTUS should have the singular capability of throwing our country into war, with whoever he or she deems intolerable, without congressional oversight?
Yes or No?
If “Yes”
, then you support McConnell and the Republicans in the Senate and House (and the executive branch).
If you say “No” (and thus you are agreeing with the US Constitution) then you are backing the Congressional Democrats. :)

There is no third choice. :eek::(

Shad

Veteran Member

How much you wanna bet?

The Senate still needs to sign off or the repeal dies. I expect it to die

Too bad they didn't go after the War Powers Acts as well. It would do more to convince me this is just not partisan roadblocks. Of course the Dems are lapping it up due to omission.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
These are fine and all; although we could debate the value and feasibility of a laissez faire attitude in the face of international travel, communication, and economics another time.

Right now, do you think it is right that any POTUS should have the singular capability of throwing our country into war, with whoever he or she deems intolerable, without congressional oversight?
Yes or No?
If “Yes”
, then you support McConnell and the Republicans in the Senate and House (and the executive branch).
If you say “No” (and thus you are agreeing with the US Constitution) then you are backing the Congressional Democrats. :)

There is no third choice. :eek::(
Actually there is a third choice. I'm still for a president ordering troops for policing actions short of a full-blown War itself.

Kenny

Premium Member
If you remember correctly, Obama wanted us out of Iraq and Afghanistan, but when he pulled out of Iraq, and then when ISIS took over much of it and Syria, the Pubs essentially "crucified" him.

However, what I did criticize Obama for, to the point of being quite angry with him, was his heavy use of drone kills that also killed many civilians.

Anyhow, I do believe we've given the Executive Branch way too much leeway when it comes to "war". IMO, anything short of a nuclear attack should be referred to Congress to make the decision as to whether to attack a foreign power.
Yes... I think things have gone too far.

1) As you mentioned, Congress does not act like one. When and who actually gave us a balanced budget and for how long will Congress continue pork spending
2) Executive orders are, IMV, a distorted loophole to Congress.
3) Supreme court, in some cases, and the rest of the courts in general have become law makers instead of judging laws.

Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, But when a wicked man rules, people groan.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, But when a wicked man rules, people groan.
Ya, and I've been doing a lot of groaning over the last two years, especially with President Pants-On-Fire "running the country" as he recently bragged about. :(

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
You mean to write that the left and the right are basically the same on this matter - we trust our guy in the White House but not their guy?