• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One God

Major religions believe there is one god that rules over all (even if there are other Gods). Well, if there is one benevolent God that wants humans to worship Him/Her and spread peace and love to one another, does it matter what religion an individual is? Wouldn't God want people to stop arguing about whose religion is correct and instead follow God's standards He/She set for humans? Why do people get stuck following human laws and traditions and are willing to die or cause evil for these laws and traditions when those law and traditions cause people to go against how God wants humans to live? Explain....

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Major religions believe there is one god that rules over all (even if there are other Gods). Well, if there is one benevolent God that wants humans to worship Him/Her and spread peace and love to one another, does it matter what religion an individual is? Wouldn't God want people to stop arguing about whose religion is correct and instead follow God's standards He/She set for humans? Why do people get stuck following human laws and traditions and are willing to die or cause evil for these laws and traditions when those law and traditions cause people to go against how God wants humans to live? Explain....

Because it has less to do with god and more to do with man's ego.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Answer 1: Because there is no benevolent God. The question is irrelevent
Answer 2: Because 'major religions' have different ideas about what God is. Because of this, people consider the 'standards' and what is considered 'evil' to be different.
Answer 3: Because people hate being wrong. People are generally reluctant to admit they are wrong.

Think about it: If 2 monotheists get together they will both believe in a monotheistic God. They also both believe that their Holy Books (Usually) are the word or inspired word of God. If one is correct, then the laws set by 'God' are usually different. If they both believe strongly enough that they are right, then the other person must be wrong. Of course, this doesn't matter, as you rightly argue, and they should stop arguing and follow God's standards...

...Oh wait! God's standards are ambiguous!

GhK.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Actually, not all major religions hold a belief that one god rules over all. Buddhism is a good example of that. A fallacy there. I also don't understand what you exactly mean by being "stuck" following human laws and traditions and that people are willing to die or cause evil for?? Are you referring to wars? Can you clarify?

See, I don't understand why you'd even ask that question. Have you read what Islam and Christianity say about themselves? Do you really think they're interchangeable? To me, you're question is a little like asking, "Since the Stealers and the Browns are both football teams, doesn't that mean that they're the same team?"

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

And what standards are these? Which religion is the one that holds these standards to the letter? Judaism? Christianity? Islam? Hinduism? Baha'i? Zoroastrianism?

How can we be certain which one is the real one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhere man
Actually, not all major religions hold a belief that one god rules over all. Buddhism is a good example of that. A fallacy there. I also don't understand what you exactly mean by being "stuck" following human laws and traditions and that people are willing to die or cause evil for?? Are you referring to wars? Can you clarify?

Well, lets say the commandment that states do not murder. Yet all nations kill people whether the reason is just or not, how could an individual claim they follow the lord yet kill? But most nations sign people from their population into their army for war to defend land, which is another earthly possession and yet claim they are followers of God. So i mean "stuck" as in people are ordered to obey human laws by the nation's leaders before they should obey Heavenly laws. Yet heavenly laws are the laws of God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the duke of vandals
See, I don't understand why you'd even ask that question. Have you read what Islam and Christianity say about themselves? Do you really think they're interchangeable? To me, you're question is a little like asking, "Since the Stealers and the Browns are both football teams, doesn't that mean that they're the same team?"

Well, i know a little about Islam. Just that they are supposedly they final teachings of God that Mohammad received and that Christianity altered the texts that was spoken by Jesus. Anyways each religion both wants people to pray, meditate, be kind to others, love one another and worship God. Yet every major religion believe their philosophy is correct and everyone else should either follow it or die. Like Islam states its okay to harm others that do not believe in Islamic laws (jihad explains this), but that just supports doing evil towards others. Anyways this football question you made, well both teams play football so they should just enjoy playing football together. Not saying they are the same team, but that they play the same sport like followers of God do. Why don't we all just worship God and spread love towards one another, rather than ridicule or harm others for not following one specific way to follow God.

GiantHouseKey

Well, lets say the commandment that states do not murder.
You're assuming everybody is a christian or a jew. They're the one's that have the 'commandment'. There's plenty of other places, even in the bible, that say killing is fine, and even endorsed by God.

Yet all nations kill people whether the reason is just or not, how could an individual claim they follow the lord yet kill?
What 'lord' are they following, though?

But most nations sign people from their population into their army for war to defend land
Governments are usually secular, and especially in the case of countries with national service.

which is another earthly possession and yet claim they are followers of God.
So you're suggesting that everybody who is monotheistic should just let people that aren't slaughter them and take their homeland. Then, eventually, they will have no where to live. Which means they will die. Which means their children will not exist. Which means that the word of their God will die out.

And I guess you've never heard of Zionism.

So i mean "stuck" as in people are ordered to obey human laws by the nation's leaders before they should obey Heavenly laws. Yet heavenly laws are the laws of God.
If only it were that simple. Sadly, we don't live in 'Heaven', we live on Earth, and that means we need to get by on earth. Society is fairly straight forward: If you wanna be in, you have to play by the rules. If you're not playing by the rules, don't expect to be in society. If the nation's law says 'Homosexuality is ok' and you are strongly opposed for whatever reason, your 'Heavenly Laws' mean nothing. I guess it's a case of 'Like it or Lump it'

GhK.

Beaudreaux

Wouldn't God want people to stop arguing about whose religion is correct and instead follow God's standards He/She set for humans? Why do people get stuck following human laws and traditions and are willing to die or cause evil for these laws and traditions when those law and traditions cause people to go against how God wants humans to live? Explain....
Well, if I can be a little less naive for a second, how exactly does God wants humans to live? Are you saying that all the world religions (which have differing ideas about how humans should live) should drop their ideas and adopt YOUR ideas about how humans should live? If not, how do you suppose we are going to get past the fact that just about everyone has a different idea of how God wants people to live (let alone whether there IS a God or not) and what God's "standards" are so we can get to this Shangrila you speak of?

To me, you're question is a little like asking, "Since the Steelers and the Browns are both football teams, doesn't that mean that they're the same team?"

BllllllllASSPHEMEEEEE!
:fork:

As for the OP, there are some people (universalists, I think? roast me if I'm wrong lol) who say it doesn't really matter how you get to god. There are some other people who have very specific ideas about the right way.

I would think, if there were a god/dess, it would make itself unmistakable in its intent OR not care about us at all OR send everyone to the same place after death, regardless of what they did in life.

GHK
sorry for being unclear. i did not mean commandments as in the bible i meant more as in natural laws. like humans should not kill one another, should take care of one another since we are the same species, etc... I meant "lord" as in God. Finally, i believe that an individual, who has a belief that God promotes peace and love, should follow that belief obediently and even to the death. If the whole population is wiped out, then either God would save them or God would contact other people and spread information about God. In a way it seems like people are afraid to give their lives up because they are afraid their God wont exist if they are dead, which clearly does not make sense if God is immortal

Beaudreaux
I do not mean people should stop worshiping GOd in their own way, but maybe people should worship God their own way in their own home so people do not discriminate one another's style of worship. i believe that the communication with God is important, not the process in which one communicates with God. Anyways the standards i primarily speak of are to love one another(every human) and to worship the God.

I hoped that kind of cleared things up

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

Actually, not all major religions hold a belief that one god rules over all. Buddhism is a good example of that.

You are quite mistaken about this: Buddhism as originally revealed was theistic, which is why its scriptures speak of gods and an Uncreated!

Later on, however, it did split into a number of subgroups, some of which are now atheistic while others remain theistic.

Peace,

Bruce

GiantHouseKey

san miguel said:
sorry for being unclear. i did not mean commandments as in the bible i meant more as in natural laws. like humans should not kill one another, should take care of one another since we are the same species, etc...
What natural law? You're still looking at this from a christian perspective.

I meant "lord" as in God. Finally, i believe that an individual, who has a belief that God promotes peace and love, should follow that belief obediently and even to the death.
But the difference is that you are not everybody. It's great that you believe that, but not all monotheistic religions do, and most certainly believe more than just to love eachother. It's very well to say 'And san miguel says: Let there be peace, and there was peace, and he saw the peace and saw that it was good' but everybody would have to believe otherwise it doesn't work and some people get stood on in society and others would thrive. Have you ever read H.G. Wells' 'The Time Traveller'?

If the whole population is wiped out, then either God would save them or God would contact other people and spread information about God.
But you're assuming that contacting other people to spread the word of God will successfully convert anybody, even the said converter.

In a way it seems like people are afraid to give their lives up because they are afraid their God wont exist if they are dead, which clearly does not make sense if God is immortal
I very much doubt that anybody believes that. Some people are not afraid to die in the name of their God. People, as animals, have a carnal, primative instinct: Survival. It is much easier to say 'Ah yeah well God said don't kill eachother so therefore I should die instead of the other guy', but when the situation is real it's a little different. I bet that if somebody pointed a loaded gun at your head and you also had a loaded gun you would shoot them first eh?

You're also assuming that pacifism is the most important thing. If we look from a biblical perspective (Sorry, I haven't read the Qur'an or any other monotheists holy book) the 'Ten Commandments' list 'Honor thy mother and thy father' before 'Thou shalt not kill'. Pacifism is the 6th most important thing, and that's going purely off a few verses. If we're also going on Exodus 20, it is at the top of the list that 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me'.
Do you see where i'm going with this?

GhK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHK
What natural law? You're still looking at this from a christian perspective.

By natural law i mean laws that people from all different backgrounds have conclude that will help a society strive. Which it seems most major religions follow these basic principles, yet a majority of the followers do not care them out.

Quote:
But the difference is that you are not everybody. It's great that you believe that, but not all monotheistic religions do, and most certainly believe more than just to love eachother. It's very well to say 'And san miguel says: Let there be peace, and there was peace, and he saw the peace and saw that it was good' but everybody would have to believe otherwise it doesn't work and some people get stood on in society and others would thrive. Have you ever read H.G. Wells' 'The Time Traveller'?

I have never read "the time traveler", but what i meant about peace was if everyone who is apart of the four or five major religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, hinduism...) followed their religion obediently (which this population makes up the majority of the earth's population) shouldn't there be peace one earth or something really close to it. The little arguments about what land is holy and how people should pray or follow God would be of little concern because all of these religions seem to promote to hold one's tongue and just be kind. yet no one really does that. it seems that everyone just pickers and argues like a bunch of kindergardeners.

Quote:
But you're assuming that contacting other people to spread the word of God will successfully convert anybody, even the said converter.

I meant God Him/Herself would contact people who are worthy. But now a days these number of holy people seems to be sliming more and more each day since people like to put their own interpretations on holy writings in order to fit their own lifestyle, which clearly does not make sense.

Quote:I very much doubt that anybody believes that. Some people are not afraid to die in the name of their God. People, as animals, have a carnal, primative instinct: Survival. It is much easier to say 'Ah yeah well God said don't kill eachother so therefore I should die instead of the other guy', but when the situation is real it's a little different. I bet that if somebody pointed a loaded gun at your head and you also had a loaded gun you would shoot them first eh?

You're also assuming that pacifism is the most important thing. If we look from a biblical perspective (Sorry, I haven't read the Qur'an or any other monotheists holy book) the 'Ten Commandments' list 'Honor thy mother and thy father' before 'Thou shalt not kill'. Pacifism is the 6th most important thing, and that's going purely off a few verses. If we're also going on Exodus 20, it is at the top of the list that 'Thou shalt have no other gods before Me'.
Do you see where i'm going with this?

I kind of see what you're trying to say. But the part about obeying one God seems to me that God wanted people to not only dignfy Himself once and for all as the Creator, but to unite a tribe of people because if people followed more than one religion or God people will start to picker about, which god should be prayed to, who is more powerful or which god created who. It seems more that God wanted to unite a group of people first before laying the laws down. Which is why honor your mother and father is above all the pascifist ideas because God is the Father of humans so one should treat their earthly father the same. So it's kinda another law about worshipping God but in an indirect manner. /i have an idea for a new thread though from our convo, thank you.

GiantHouseKey

Oh I fully agree with your point, that people who believe in peace should promote peace. But then, after they have world peace, what then? Not everybody is so tolerant of other religions.

However, it just isnt as easy as that. If 2 people have contrasting views on religion then they just can't live in perfect harmony. This is demonstrated by the middle east peace crisis. You think they want to be at war? Of course they don't, but they both have very strong reasons why they think they should lay claim to the middle east.

Also, there's a lot more about killing infidels (Islam) and purging evil (Judaism) and proselyting (Various) that means that peace and full tolerance is not the number 1 priority. And then there's always going to be people breaking the laws of their religion: Humans are not perfect. So in short, the world wants peace, but they also want everybody to follow their way of life because it is what their God commanded for mankind.

GhK.

RuDe 2 Da MaX

i belieive god is a common misconception, if we look at this realistically, we will see it is quite physically impossible for one man to do that much work in a week (even superman would struggle)

Lets be fair it takes 2 days for some man to fix a washing machine, but god did all this in a week, i'm sorry i won't beleive. Could i please have some evidence to support the religous beliefs

love you all

your broter

Lord Maximus Star

GiantHouseKey

i belieive god is a common misconception, if we look at this realistically, we will see it is quite physically impossible for one man to do that much work in a week (even superman would struggle)

Lets be fair it takes 2 days for some man to fix a washing machine, but god did all this in a week, i'm sorry i won't beleive. Could i please have some evidence to support the religous beliefs

love you all

your broter

Lord Maximus Star

First, Welcome to the Forum :) I hope you enjoy your time here.

Secondly, This thread is not about Young Earth Creation or the existence of God. I agree with you, however.

Thirdly, I am atheistic, but not non-religious. A great deal of christians don't believe that God literally made the world in 6 days. Some prefer to think of the 6 days as a condensation of the actual time (Which is a LONG time).

And, I would guess that all believe that God is a little bit more than your average man ;) And yep, even more than superman :)

Feel free to start a thread asking your questions though, and as I said, Welcome to RF :)

GhK.