• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Once I would have come here for very different reasons...

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
Not too long ago I would have come here either for debate research with theists on twitter, or for the odd article linking here on the subject of atheism.

Things for me have...changed. Where once I was a staunch anti-theist, I've become a little more faithful of late. (I know, I was of the opinion that this doesn't happen either.) I've joined a church, I read a bit of scripture every day, and I'm getting baptized in a few weeks.

All the reasons I had for my atheism are just as true today as they were a few months ago, and believe me, this conversion has come with a bit of intellectual shame attached, but for some reason, there's just something new happening with me.

I'm enjoying exploring faith, and I'm thoroughly enjoying sharing that exploration with the congregation I've found; I figured I'd do a bit more exploring on this site.

Now I have to figure out how to explain all this to my friends, many of whom are atheists, and many of whom will assume I've lost my mind. :foot:

Cheers

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If it works for you it works for you. I try to keep in mind that just because an idea or a belief works for me, doesn't mean it will work for someone else at whatever place they find themselves or that it will continue to work for me next week, next month or next year.

It's okay to have different opinions from an earlier "you." We all grow, accumulate experiences (some joyful, some hurtful) and our perspectives change. There's no shame in that.

UntemperedSchism

Newly Faithful
doppelgänger;2587585 said:
It's okay to have different opinions from an earlier "you." We all grow, accumulate experiences (some joyful, some hurtful) and our perspectives change. There's no shame in that.

Heh. I wrote a very long essay about that yesterday. I'm trying to keep an ongoing journal of this whole process, just so I can figure it out.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Welcome to RF!

And I'd suggest not worrying about it too much. We all change.

Some of us find a new faith, some lose their faith, and others develops faith where none existed.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Welcome! I like to hear about peoples' experiences. Was there some event that seemed to change your course?

About your friends: if they are true friends, your change in beliefs won't matter a whit. And regardless, I've always found that beliefs are more connected to feelings than to reason. Facts and thoughts can justify a belief, but it seems to me that beliefs root somewhere deeper than our conscious mind, our thoughts.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Welcome to RF! As someone already pointed out, if your friends are good friends it shouldn't matter too much.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Untempered - welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you and learning more about your journey.