• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh deer: Redux

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I threatened to post this as soon as the images became available and so it has come to pass. The fortunate thing is that the pictures of me didn't turn out too bad. I am not particularly photogenic and have more poor shots of me than I do good shots. At least none show me drooling.

So here we have it:

Image One: Precious and Mom come by for some treats
June2010013a.jpg

I would love to give them a good brushing, but alas that day is still a long way off methinks.

Image Two: Dad stand guard from afar. (Not really the dad, but it makes for a good story.)
June2010113a.jpg

He is at the stage where his new antlers have just come in and soon he will be wailing against the nearest tree to remove the protective sheath, then they be pointy and a bit dangerous. This buck prolly weighs in at about 130-150 pounds, give or take.

Image Three: Precious makes her move...
June2010091a.jpg

Image Four: Closer still
June2010089a.jpg

As usual, I am quietly telling her how nice it is to see her and how good she is looking today.

Image Five: Sometime a little coaxing helps - and has its rewards
June2010014a.jpg

It is hilarious how she "accordians" out to reach the apple bits. Her back legs are often as far back as possible, so she really has to stretch out to reach.

Image Six: Call me irresistible... the bit of apple helps too...
June2010015a.jpg

Here the accordian effect is plain to see. Too funny, really. Plus she is making little sounds while doing this. Hilarious.

Image Seven: Closer still, with another slice.
June2010088a.jpg

It really is amazing how trusting she is, but again, she remains wary if anyone but me is around. Heck, she is downright skittish at such times and won't come near me. Must be my aftershave.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Image Eight: The madcap laughs at her "Precious" antics... too funny
June2010016a.jpg

Image Nine: The close up and personal touch.
June2010090a.jpg

The whole experience with "Precious" adds new meaning to having creatures "eating out of your hand".
I never realized, or thought much about it, just how much trust is involved in the exercise.
It certainly passes the time. :drool:

(PS: The other youngun that is partly in a couple of pictures is my 10 year old Great-niece, Sierra. And yeah, she is pretty great, too.)

Last edited:

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
These photos are so touching ~ brought a smile to my face. I would love to get that close. :hearts:
Good to see you, too!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, did I tell you all that the events captured here are now practically an everyday occurrence? Almost everyday, Precious comes by at about 7:30 am and we repeat our little ritual. :)

MissAlice

Image Eight: The madcap laughs at her "Precious" antics... too funny
June2010016a.jpg

Image Nine: The close up and personal touch.
June2010090a.jpg

The whole experience with "Precious" adds new meaning to having creatures "eating out of your hand".
I never realized, or thought much about it, just how much trust is involved in the exercise.
It certainly passes the time. :drool:

(PS: The other youngun that is partly in a couple of pictures is my 10 year old Great-niece, Sierra. And yeah, she is pretty great, too.)

Awwww, it's a little Bambi.

What I wouldn't give to be up that close to such a phenomenon. :p

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
YmirGF,
The Buck doesn't rub trees to get rid of Velvet. (a very common missconception about these amazing animals) He rubs trees to build up neck muscles to fight for dominance during the Rut. The Velvet only takes a few hours (sometimes less) to shed. The Velvet shed is activated by the amout of Testerone in his system. The Testerone spikes up during late summer/early fall. This assures the fawns will be born in Spring when there is an ample food supply for mom to nurse them. July is the month of the greatest amout of Antler growth. It's the fastest Bone growth in the animal kingdom.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
YmirGF,
The Buck doesn't rub trees to get rid of Velvet. (a very common missconception about these amazing animals) He rubs trees to build up neck muscles to fight for dominance during the Rut. The Velvet only takes a few hours (sometimes less) to shed. The Velvet shed is activated by the amout of Testerone in his system. The Testerone spikes up during late summer/early fall. This assures the fawns will be born in Spring when there is an ample food supply for mom to nurse them. July is the month of the greatest amout of Antler growth. It's the fastest Bone growth in the animal kingdom.
Ok, I can understand that. I have seen them doing exactly what you are saying and it is not hard to see why folks would think they are trying to get the fluff off their antlers by rubbing the trees as I have seen them come away with chunks missing as a result. But your explanation does make sense.

PS: Little "Precious" is still coming by almost everyday for her apple. She is getting pretty aggressive now and starts taking the apple slices before I hand them to her. She has also begun to let me stroke her head and neck. She most definitely does NOT like having her ears touched the way a dog loves. My studies continue..... on a positive note, she still remains VERY wary of anyone else but me and that make me feel that I am going about this the right way.

Rio Sabinas

Old Geezer
YmirGF,
Yes, trust from an animal like Precious should remind us of her name.

Did you ever check out the seeds to plant for a Deer's protein needs?
Or is it too late in the season where you live?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Ymir,

Yes, surely another window towards UNITY.
Lovely Paul, though personally feed the crows sometimes but your's is a love affair and am sure this connection is from another time/space zone.
Could you mediate on that aspect?

Love & rgds

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Friend Ymir,

Yes, surely another window towards UNITY.
Lovely Paul, though personally feed the crows sometimes but your's is a love affair and am sure this connection is from another time/space zone.
Could you mediate on that aspect?

Love & rgds
My interaction is a "mediation", friend. :) My... how you would laugh if you could see them running over whenever I go out with a fresh apple.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Like when I feed my cats tuna...or when I keep my sisters dogs they love a "treat"..or when I watch a bird peck a worm(litterally not poetically) out of the ground and swallow it..(like a Pelican LOL)...

I guess they are just hungry..

Love

Dallas