• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Odd Belief Of Early Christians

Skwim

Veteran Member

From TIME magazine January 27, 2020 p24

."HEAVEN ON
.EARTH
Many people think you
go to heaven when you
die, bu according to
N.T. Write, professor
of New Testament
and early Christianity
at the University of
St. Andrews, that's
not what the early
Christians believed

"The point was not for
us to 'go to heaven.'
but for the life of
heaven to arrive on
earth" he explains"

According to current theology they got it all wrong. But why?
What do you think they understood that so skewed their belief?

Last edited:

sooda

Veteran Member

"HEAVEN ON
EARTH
Many people think you
go to heaven when you
die, bu according to
N.T. Write, professor
of New Testament
and early Christianity
at the University of
St. Andrews, that's
not what the early
Christians believed

"The point was not for
us to 'go to heaven.'
but for the life of
heaven to arrive on
earth" he explains"
What do you think they were aware of that so skewed their belief?

There were many early Christian factions.. They didn't agree on anything.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
But the professor here implies it wasn't just as faction, but the whole of Christianity.

I don't think we can say anything definite about "the whole" of early Christianity...if you read any of the scholarship you realize that very little survives from the first 100 years after Jesus' death, and that which does has been heavily selected if not outright modified to fit later theology...

SoyLeche

meh...
But the professor here implies it wasn't just as faction or so, but the whole of Christianity.

Perhaps he was wrong?

FWIW - I don't have any particular qualms with what he says, although I may be misunderstanding his overall point with such a short quote.

amorphous_constellation

well, revelation did mention something about 1000 years of peace on earth or a new earth or something like that didn't it. I think I've also seen opinions here about their being a heaven-like earth eventually, so I don't think it's all that far off the mark. Maybe the general transition also has to do with the convertees, such as the greeks etc., having the kind of heavenly heaven that you're thinking of

amorphous_constellation

Not so odd when you consider that the Jewish followers of Jesus believed that as the Messiah, he would usher in The Heavenly Kingdom, on Earth, in their lifetimes...

That seems like it would make a notable clash with what I was reading in the pistis sophia for example, where there are many extravagant heavenly layers inhabited by many beings. Seems like modern Christianity leans just a little bit more in that direction, but had a lot of the metaphysical stuff tempered out of it by the probably more corporeal post-Jewish core

Milton Platt

."HEAVEN ON
.EARTH
Many people think you
go to heaven when you
die, bu according to
N.T. Write, professor
of New Testament
and early Christianity
at the University of
St. Andrews, that's
not what the early
Christians believed

"The point was not for
us to 'go to heaven.'
but for the life of
heaven to arrive on
earth" he explains"

There is a small group called Christadelphians who hold just that belief. No, I am no one of them.

leov

."HEAVEN ON
.EARTH
Many people think you
go to heaven when you
die, bu according to
N.T. Write, professor
of New Testament
and early Christianity
at the University of
St. Andrews, that's
not what the early
Christians believed

"The point was not for
us to 'go to heaven.'
but for the life of
heaven to arrive on
earth" he explains"

."HEAVEN ON
.EARTH
Many people think you
go to heaven when you
die, bu according to
N.T. Write, professor
of New Testament
and early Christianity
at the University of
St. Andrews, that's
not what the early
Christians believed

"The point was not for
us to 'go to heaven.'
but for the life of
heaven to arrive on
earth" he explains"

Interesting. Many thing we do not know from that period. Winners write history. Lost world. This info makes sense from NT.

‘Our Father who is in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.

10‘Your kingdom come.
Your will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven
.'
Or:
5“Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth*."
But:
3“Blessed are the poor* in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
*wrong choice, should be beggars not poor.
Consciousness transformation needed to be on earth (in material body) to be accepted in heaven.

Heyo

Veteran Member
On a more serious note: early Christians believed (like some modern Christians, but with much more validity) that they were living in the end of days. Jesus had allegedly promised to return within the lifetime of some of his contemporaries.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
On a more serious note: early Christians believed (like some modern Christians, but with much more validity) that they were living in the end of days. Jesus had allegedly promised to return within the lifetime of some of his contemporaries.
The Jews of Jesus's time quite understood the term "Messiah", even if later Christians don't.
Tom

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Before his death and resurrection, apparently none of his followers thought that he was going to die, arise and then come back sometime later. They expected him to live and to overthrow both the high priests and Romans and become King of the World.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
But the professor here implies it wasn't just as faction or so, but the whole of Christianity.

One person implies but does not present proof of a theory of his. That in and of itself has almost zero value in my book.

But subtracting the thought by a single person, that to me is, in one form or another, a basic belief of the major religions. Call it 'second coming', Jewish Messiah, Hindu Kalki and the dawning of the Golden Age, people have looked forward to and longed for better lives. I find zero odd about it.

It's even been in pop songs, "for heaven's sake":

Ooh, baby, do you know what that's worth?
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth
They say in heaven, love comes first
We'll make heaven a place on earth
Ooh, heaven is a place on earth

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Before his death and resurrection, apparently none of his followers thought that he was going to die, arise and then come back sometime later. They expected him to live and to overthrow both the high priests and Romans and become King of the World.
That's exactly what a True Messiah does.
And the Jews of the day seriously wanted a messiah, what with the invincibility of the Roman pagans.

However...
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Yes, I've thought this true with the resurrection a narrative after the fact to deal with Jesus' untimely death.