• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Objective morality and God

Antibush5

For me, the reason I believed in God was due to the fact that it gave an objective morality to life. So I was reading the Virtue of Selfishness and it pretty much gave a sound arguement for objective morality without God.
So now I've got no reason to not believe in God, should I still believe?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, if that was your only reason for believing in a deity, you never had much of a reason to believe in the first place. Even if there were a personal god that makes up moral codes, morality would still be subjective.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That would depend on what "God" is to you, and whether or not you are willing to evolve your theology beyond what you currently think about god(s).

Antibush5

Well when The Man comes to arrest you, try to explain Ayn Rand to them.
All those corrupt and dictorial regimes sure were moral right and were perfectly justified because they were THE LAW.
Well, if that was your only reason for believing in a deity, you never had much of a reason to believe in the first place. Even if there were a personal god that makes up moral codes, morality would still be subjective.
It's objective because God transcends reality and imposes the morality onto existence.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
For me, the reason I believed in God was due to the fact that it gave an objective morality to life. So I was reading the Virtue of Selfishness and it pretty much gave a sound argument for objective morality without God.
So now I've got no reason to not believe in God, should I still believe?

For me, morality is not the reason I believed in God. I was taught ethics and morality by my parents, who taught me to be polite, not to spread gossip, etc. There isn't really any true reason that I believe in God. Believing or not believing something isn't truly a choice, imo.

Antibush5

It's still a personal being putting forth what they think is moral. If it were objective, morality would be an impersonal truth that's obvious to all. It's not.

You're missing the point, it caused creation, so reality is shaped by it, therefor everything it's objective to everything in creation and since there is no before or other to God then it's objective.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You're missing the point, it caused creation, so reality is shaped by it, therefor everything it's objective to everything in creation and since there is no before or other to God then it's objective.

Is this god a personal being or something else? I find that monotheistic concepts of god are often too ill-defined to even bother speaking about.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Just because you disagree, doesn't mean it's not objective, you're a creation in his universe and the morality was founded by him.

Even if there were a deity with an "objective morality", that deity and it's so called "objective morality" would be unknown to you except subjectively. If you don't believe that, then please lay out for us the means of inquiry which would allow you to non-subjectively know of this deity and its objective morality.