• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obese kids

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The first and most important thing to do is fix what is being done to the food. People need to be able to eat real food, not ultra processed rubbish. Exercise and good rest are very important too, but until the food issue had been fixed, nothing else will be enough. You can't outrun a bad diet and the biggest issue with obesity is ultra processed sugar packed food.
People are able to eat real food. There’s plenty of it out there.

People need to fix shopping and eating habits. Stop buying junk food and highly processed foods. Eat an apple once in a while. The kind with skin, not baked in a pie crust.

Vee

Premium Member
People are able to eat real food. There’s plenty of it out there.

People need to fix shopping and eating habits. Stop buying junk food and highly processed foods. Eat an apple once in a while. The kind with skin, not baked in a pie crust.
If only it was that easy...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If only it was that easy...
Easy? No. Doable? Most definitely.

That's my daughter and granddaughter in post #8. She's a single mom and is able to do it for herself and her daughter.

People need to stop passing the buck and take responsibility for themselves.

We Never Know

No Slack
When I was a kid I did not become obese till I was 16. I had junk food. Though my mom never allowed me to binge and overeat still we did eat junk food.
But when I was kid, I had a tire swing outside, I liked tumbling, doing cartwheels the splits that type of thing, I was into anything that was sport's or play outside, I went roller-skating a lot, walking swimming all of it.

I was no good at sports, but I loved getting outside and playing. Kids these days have Xboxes video games, cable computers and cell phones. So, kids are a lot more obese and don't play as much. The elementary schools don't get to have gym as much either state don't have the money. So, what is the solution for obese kids?
Are electronics playing a role in this?

Its not just kids....obese adults are at higher percentages than kids.

Adults...

"The age-adjusted prevalence of obesity among U.S. adults was 42.4% in 2017–2018. The prevalence was 40.0% among younger adults aged 20–39, 44.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40–59, and 42.8% among older adults aged 60 and over. There were no significant differences in prevalence by age group (Figure 1).

Among men, the prevalence of obesity was 40.3% among those aged 20–39, 46.4% among those aged 40–59, and 42.2% among those aged 60 and over. Among women, the prevalence of obesity was 39.7% among those aged 20–39, 43.3% among those aged 40–59, and 43.3% among those aged 60 and over. None of the differences by age were significant"

Children...

"The prevalence of obesity was 19.7% and affected about 14.7 million children and adolescents.

Obesity prevalence was 12.7% among 2- to 5-year-olds, 20.7% among 6- to 11-year-olds, and 22.2% among 12- to 19-year-olds. Childhood obesity is also more common among certain populations.

Obesity prevalence was 26.2% among Hispanic children, 24.8% among non-Hispanic Black children, 16.6% among non-Hispanic White children, and 9.0% among non-Hispanic Asian children."

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Kids definitely need to be encouraged to get out more. It can help.

I played video games growing up, but I was also "kicked" out of the house to go play outside a lot as well. So it balanced itself out. I'm still the same way, I okay video games, but I still stay physically active, even if I'm not "working out".

Then there is the problem of overworked and under free times parents who have to eat fast food or other prepackaged dinners which are high in salt, fats, and preservatives. Fats aren't necessarily bad, but this trifecta is. Leading to obesity, weight gain, diabetes etc.

Vee

Premium Member
Easy? No. Doable? Most definitely.

That's my daughter and granddaughter in post #8. She's a single mom and is able to do it for herself and her daughter.

People need to stop passing the buck and take responsibility for themselves.
Completely agree. I've done that my entire life and I'm very happy with the results, but we can't put everyone in the same basket. Obesity is a very deep issue, with many layers. People are bombarded with advertisings by the so called food industry that only wants to make money with no regard for health. Junk food is a lot more expensive than healthy food. And have you seen what children are fed at school?
People need to take responsibility, yes, but everyone else needs to take responsibility too, starting with the companies that put the food on the supermarket shelves and the law makers that allow bad quality food items to be sold to the public.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Coincidentally, I received a phone call from my daughter last evening ranting about her mother, who picked up my granddaughter after work so my daughter could complete a class assignment, taking her daughter to Taco Bell for dinner last night. She lit her up about it. Fast food is a bit no-no.

My daughter makes a point to make sure her daughter eats healthy, home-cooked meals. Most of the meals during the week when she's working are crock-pot meals she prepares in the morning and puts in the crock pot when she comes home for lunch. They're cost effective, healthy meals.

Riders

Completely agree. I've done that my entire life and I'm very happy with the results, but we can't put everyone in the same basket. Obesity is a very deep issue, with many layers. People are bombarded with advertisings by the so called food industry that only wants to make money with no regard for health. Junk food is a lot more expensive than healthy food. And have you seen what children are fed at school?
People need to take responsibility, yes, but everyone else needs to take responsibility too, starting with the companies that put the food on the supermarket shelves and the law makers that allow bad quality food items to be sold to the public.
On the topic of schools, i use to have gym 2 or 3 times a week can't remember. I remember our gym teacher's name. but many schools now only have gym once a week which does not help either.

Reactions: Vee

Riders

I know. When I was in school we could get soft drinks starting in jr high, If we wanted something different then the cooked meals they hd for us we could get chicken fried steak with french fries and gravy. But there were not fast food places in school cafeteria.

F1fan

Veteran Member
The first and most important thing to do is fix what is being done to the food. People need to be able to eat real food, not ultra processed rubbish. Exercise and good rest are very important too, but until the food issue had been fixed, nothing else will be enough. You can't outrun a bad diet and the biggest issue with obesity is ultra processed sugar packed food.
I have seen friends with kids feed them mac and cheese for dinner, and that's it. When i ask about vegetables they can't get the kids to eat them. When I was a kid we ate what was served, which was what the adults ate. I suspect kids are bigger brats and parents just give up because they are already stressed out. I think there is less severe punishment these days than when I was a kid, because we all goit our butts beat if we didn't follow the rules. It may have not been the best discipline but we knew parents were in charge.

I remember seeing a movie called the Horse Whisperer and the son of the rancher was about 12 and so polite and well behaved. I thought "That's totally unrealistic" but I suppose possible under the right parental guidance.

Little Dragon

I was no good at sports, but I loved getting outside and playing. Kids these days have Xboxes video games, cable computers and cell phones. So, kids are a lot more obese and don't play as much. The elementary schools don't get to have gym as much either state don't have the money. So, what is the solution for obese kids?
Are electronics playing a role in this?
I used to sit up in my room, with my Commodore 64, playing Elite, or my Amiga playing Syndicate Wars. From the moment I got home from school, until bedtime. That was a long time ago, before the internet existed of course. I am not obese or even slightly chubby.

There are various factors, that contribute to obesity. However the number one, has to be calorific intake versus calorific expenditure. If you eat little but do little, you use up the energy you consume. If you don't use it all, you store it, as fat. So the most important thing a parent can do, is ensure the amount of food given to their child, is sufficient for their lifestyle. A kid that plays soccer every evening, will need more calories than the likes of me, sitting upstairs, trying to blast Thargoids into oblivion.

Little Dragon

It's their body, who cares.:shrug:
I do where kids are concerned. They should not suffer to be obese. Not that I necessarily believe the parent(s) or carers are at fault. Poverty and a lack of home cooking skills, forces people to buy low quality high sugar and high fat processed foodstuffs, for one.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are various factors, that contribute to obesity. However the number one, has to be calorific intake versus calorific expenditure. If you eat little but do little, you use up the energy you consume. If you don't use it all, you store it, as fat. So the most important thing a parent can do, is ensure the amount of food given to their child, is sufficient for their lifestyle. A kid that plays soccer every evening, will need more calories than the likes of me, sitting upstairs, trying to blast Thargoids into oblivion.
Metabolism plays a major role in food intake vs energy expenditure. There are those that can eat the exact same thing and have identical physical activity but will not burn off food at the same rate.

Little Dragon

Metabolism plays a major role in food intake vs energy expenditure. There are those that can eat the exact same thing and have identical physical activity but will not burn off food at the same rate.
Of course, and fat storage, some people are just better at piling on the fat, which is great in times of scarcity. A distinct survival advantage.

Riders

I have sweet cereal for breakfast had sweet cereal for breakfast. I got sandwiches and chips for lunch. my mom liked making fried spam with mashed potatoes for us for dinner However we were on a budget.

I had three older sisters six people in the family. And we were lower middle class. So each one of us got exactly one serving she would slice the spam loaf up in the 12 slices and we would get two apiece.

We were allowed to have fast food from a fast-food restaurant once a week on Friday nights.
But they started having McDonald's kids' meals in 78 or 79 and a lot of times my parents would just go to McDonald's or Burger King or somewhere and get us all kids meals If she went to long John Silver's, she would ask me do you want one piece of fish or two.

So, we never binged ate even though we were eating a lot of junk there is no binging.

But after I was sixteen and came home from psychiatric hospitals my sisters had grown up and moved out. My parents had the house paid for and so we had more money.

I was binge eating in Psych Wards and I started gaining weight after I got home when my parents allowed me to use a lot of money on groceries.

I was still working out quite a bit and keeping my wight down to about 200. I loved dancing in my room and I really wish I had kept up the exercise at least, maybe I could have kept weight down to 200 but I gave up on exercise.

These days I've seen kids who take their parents credit card and then go to McDonald's and get whatever they want. we were never allowed just to go up to fast food place and binge like that my parents wouldn't have let it happen.