• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama's deal with private equity firm, EPA and oil refinery

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Obama's role would've been to say "yes" when presented with the plan.
I don't see anything wrong with that, but neither do I give him any credit.

The fact that he says "yes" means he should get some credit. More importantly is the fact that he predominately gives the credit to the military.....

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The fact that he says "yes" means he should get some credit. More importantly is the fact that he predominately gives the credit to the military.....
It seems a compelling choice to make, so while the choice would be his responsibility,
I still give no credit for doing something obvious & easy. Moreover, I question it's value.
Bin laden's death was a public relations coup, but it also risked further violent
confrontations with Pakistan. Given all this, I neither credit nor fault Obama on it.

I do give Obama credit for a non-event. America & Israel are not at war with Iran.
Pro-war rhetoric aside, it nevertheless hasn't happened. Now, I don't know to what
extent this is the result of his leadership, but I'm concerned that things might be
much different if Willard wins election in November.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
It seems a compelling choice to make, so while the choice would be his responsibility,
I still give no credit for doing something obvious & easy. Moreover, I question it's value.
Bin laden's death was a public relations coup, but it also risked further violent
confrontations with Pakistan. Given all this, I neither credit nor fault Obama on it.

I do give Obama credit for a non-event. America & Israel are not at war with Iran.
Pro-war rhetoric aside, it nevertheless hasn't happened. Now, I don't know to what
extent this is the result of his leadership, but I'm concerned that things might be
much different if Willard wins election in November.

Hang on a minute, didn't you accuse me of groundless exaggerations when I expressed my opinion that the Republicans will start a war with Iran if they are elected?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hang on a minute, didn't you accuse me of groundless exaggerations when I expressed my opinion that the Republicans will start a war with Iran if they are elected?
I don't recall that.
In fact, I frequently voice that as my primary reservation about Willard.
Provide a link to a post, & I'll comment.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I still give no credit for doing something obvious & easy.

But you've never been POTUS so you really don't know how hard it is to say yes or no.

Moreover, I question it's value. Bin laden's death was a public relations coup, but it also risked further violent confrontations with Pakistan. Given all this, I neither credit nor fault Obama on it.

I can understand that. For me I see it differently. I don't believe for a moment that killing Bin Laden was a serious blow to Alqueda. To a degree it made some hate the US even more. The the problem with making martyrs. This just seems to come with the territory. I don't give him the credit specifically. I give it to the administration and for both parties (dems and repubs)...for making it happen.

Pro-war rhetoric aside, it nevertheless hasn't happened.

Now, I don't know to what extent this is the result of his leadership, but I'm concerned that things might be much different if Willard wins election in November.

I concerned as well. I personally don't think Romney can handle that. To me he talks a good game but flip flops a lot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But you've never been POTUS so you really don't know how hard it is to say yes or no.
But I can guess & kibitz.

I can understand that. For me I see it differently. I don't believe for a moment that killing Bin Laden was a serious blow to Alqueda. To a degree it made some hate the US even more. The the problem with making martyrs. This just seems to come with the territory. I don't give him the credit specifically. I give it to the administration and for both parties (dems and repubs)...for making it happen.
Sounds reasonable to me.

I concerned as well. I personally don't think Romney can handle that. To me he talks a good game but flip flops a lot.
He flip flops no more than Obama...all those campaign promises he ditched, ya know.
Obama talks tough about Iran, as does Willard, but the latter is an unknown quantity regarding foreign policy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Meh. That sounds like work. :p
Good...then we may agree that Willard appears to be a greater risk than Barry when it comes to war with Iran.

BTW, you get credit for raising your challenge as question when you posted....
Too many posters proffer their speculations as fact.

Alceste

Vagabond
Good...then we may agree that Willard appears to be a greater risk than Barry when it comes to war with Iran.

BTW, you get credit for raising your challenge as question when you posted....

Too many posters proffer their speculations as fact.

You say that as if it's a fact!

For once, it seems we are in agreement! Call the press! Given the GOP's recent record of starting arbitrary, unwinnable wars all over the ME and the fact that all the same sociopathic windbags are still making all the same paranoid noises over Iran as they made over Iraq, there may be serious repercussions to voting for another Republican.

At least Barry does his international wanton murdering of civilians with remote controlled helicopters, and without declaring war. It's cheaper, and safer for American citizens.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You say that as if it's a fact!
It's concrete opinion.

For once, it seems we are in agreement! Call the press! Given the GOP's recent record of starting arbitrary, unwinnable wars all over the ME and the fact that all the same sociopathic windbags are still making all the same paranoid noises over Iran as they made over Iraq, there may be serious repercussions to voting for another Republican.
At least Barry does his international wanton murdering of civilians with remote controlled helicopters, and without declaring war. It's cheaper, and safer for American citizens.
Of course, we face serious repercussions voting for anyone.
Pick yer poison.

Alceste

Vagabond
It's concrete opinion.

Of course, we face serious repercussions voting for anyone.
Pick yer poison.

True that, but as a non-American I have a particular interest in the US not starting any more damn wars, and not as much interest in your domestic affairs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
True that, but as a non-American I have a particular interest in the US not starting any more damn wars, and not as much interest in your domestic affairs.
As a Revoltingistanian & US taxpayer, I have even more interest in avoiding another war....a potentially far bigger one than Dubya's or Barry's.

Alceste

Vagabond
As a Revoltingistanian & US taxpayer, I have even more interest in avoiding another war....a potentially far bigger one than Dubya's or Barry's.

Then you must be one of the clever ones! I get the feeling many of your American brethren don't fully appreciate that they actually have to pay for their wars.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Then you must be one of the clever ones! I get the feeling many of your American brethren don't fully appreciate that they actually have to pay for their wars.
I just don't buy into the common 'wisdom' that war is good for the economy.

esmith

Veteran Member
Since we appear to have taken a left turn concerning the original post, I have a question.

Do you feel that a nuclear armed Iran with the current leadership poses a nuclear threat?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you feel that a nuclear armed Iran with the current leadership poses a nuclear threat?
Yes. But I see the threat to be more general than the usual fear that Iran will attack Israel.
The big risk is that they'll use "the bomb" in self defense, given how violent the region is.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
How so? Is the US advocating the total destruction of Israel as is Iran. Or is Iran just "chest beating"?
As I nudge Alceste aside to barge in, I'll answer too.
Iran publicly advocates Israel's destruction, but they wouldn't do it themselves because they know it's impossible.
The US would prevent it & retaliate by crushing Iran & installing a new regime (again). But since America & Israel
both have a record of attacking other countries seen as threats, even remote ones, Iran might have to use nukes
in self-defense.

Danger is not in what countries say, but rather in what they do. And we do some sh** to people.