• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that NY has Gay Marriage, GOP Leader proposes New Ammendment

waitasec

Veteran Member
If only they were consistent in their promises of wanting a small federal government.

yup if only...but i guess it doesn't apply when that way of thinking conflicts with their underlying premise...the infringement of personal freedom... quite a conundrum they've created for themselves.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Because you can't love america while hating the very values that define her.
What group doesn't hate values which define America?
It could just as easily argued that lefties hate self-sufficiency, independence & liberty. Clearly, those were values of the founders.
Even libertarians despise the welfare state & the big brother mentality, a status quo so loved by the Big Two.
Are we all then hypocrites?
People need to learn to disagree without calling each other unamerican & phony.

Last edited:

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
What happened to liberty and justice for all?

Too bad that has never been the status quo in the US.

As long as the majority (regardless of which group that might be) has influence over the rule of law, I doubt true equality will ever be realized.

Rakhel

It could just as easily argued that lefties hate self-sufficiency, independence & liberty. Clearly, those were values of the founders.
Even libertarians despise the welfare state & the big brother mentality, a status quo so loved by the Big Two.
I can't frubal you yet!!

waitasec

Veteran Member

i think what defines america is freedom...the acceptance of freedom requires resonsibility....yes people do need to learn the price of responsibility; to be able to agree to disagree...we are free to do so.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Because you can't love america while hating the very values that define her.

You have an unrealistic vision of America. We are not an ideal, but a regular country like any other. The Founding Fathers and subsequent American titans have always used the rhetoric of classical liberalism, but the full breadth of its philosophical implications have never been acted upon. That is, the ideals of liberty and equality have always been interpreted in a limited fashion.

To that issue, it is a good thing we do not interpret freedom and equality excessively. We need lines of demarcation that consider other factors besides freedom. Where do we draw the line if we only consider freedom? Polygamy? Incest marriages? Acceptance of paedophilia, or pedosexuality as many advocates would like to called? Decades of gender studies have shown that the differences between males and females is essentially social and that we have more in common than we have apart. Thus, feminism teaches us that it does not matter if someone is male or female, and this is why I staunchly support same-sex marriage. Something like polygamy changes the entire dynamic of intimate relationships and therefore operates on other principles. Hence, I find it to be a more radical proposal than same-sex marriage.

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You have an unrealistic vision of America. We are not an ideal, but a regular country like any other. The Founding Fathers and subsequent American titans have always used the rhetoric of classical liberalism, but the full breadth of its philosophical implications have never been acted upon. That is, the ideals of liberty and equality have always been interpreted in a limited fashion.
I don't know... unlike most nations, we were deliberately founded upon certain ideals. That's not to say we've always lived up to them, of course....

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
sed command s/ means search for and replace with what follows. It was easier than editing the quote. Then again, didn't anticipate explaining it.
Ah. Yeah, sad but true.....

BTW, we're not supposed to edit quotes, so it worked out. :)

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Oh, Jesus. :rolleyes: Concerning freedom the line would obviously be drawn where the innocent are victimized or their rights violated.
As for as incest and polygamy are concerned; if all involved are consenting adults, what business is it of mine?

Haha... I love you man, and I mean that sincerely. :hug: I had to see what it was like to play the pedophile card. Obviously, the vast (99+ per cent) of liberals believe that only adults should be granted full freedoms and the ability to give consent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
i think what defines america is freedom...the acceptance of freedom requires resonsibility....yes people do need to learn the price of responsibility; to be able to agree to disagree...we are free to do so.
I like that interpretation too.
But for those who prefer the opposite, I wouldn't call'm "unamerican"......"despicable", "boneheaded" or "unrevolting" perhaps.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I like that interpretation too.
But for those who prefer the opposite, I wouldn't call'm "unamerican"......"despicable", "boneheaded" or "unrevolting" perhaps.

you're right, i'd just call them nosey, arrogant and self righteous...
:rainbow1: