• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Now that NY has Gay Marriage, GOP Leader proposes New Ammendment

Many Sages One Truth

It appears the GOP's next tactic if they can't stop states from passing laws to allow gay marriage, is to push for an amendment to the Constitution that defines marriage as exclusively heterosexual:

On Sunday, GOP presidential contender Rep. Michele Bachmann said she would support a federal constitutional amendment which would overturn New York state's new law legalizing gay marriage and similar laws in other states.

On Fox News Sunday, Rep. Bachmann reiterated calls for an amendment that would define marriage as "between a man and woman."

Rep. Bachmann claimed that while New York's new law approving same-sex marriages which was signed by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Friday was "up to the people of New York", the debate over defining marriage was "a state issue and a federal issue." She added that "federal law will trump state law on this issue."

Taken from: Bachmann Would Overturn NY, All Gay Marriage

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This conservative opposition occurs with every expansion of personal rights and freedoms. It will undermine the social order, it is against God's laws, it's just, well, not right. We heard exactly the same thing about giving women the vote or integrating schools or the military.

I think you have to keep in mind that conservatives are authoritarian and , hence, score very high on conventionalism indices.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
This conservative opposition occurs with every expansion of personal rights and freedoms. It will undermine the social order, it is against God's laws, it's just, well, not right. We heard exactly the same thing about giving women the vote or integrating schools or the military.

I think you have to keep in mind that conservatives are authoritarian and , hence, score very high on conventionalism indices.

It's weird how religious conservatives claim to be patriotic, yet are always trying to undermine the very values that define the nation (i.e. rights, liberty, equality, justice, etc.) How can people be so oblivious to such blatant hypocrisy? You can't simultaneously love America and hate freedom.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So when it's proposed that the government should provide universal health care, conservatives argue it's an infringement on rights and too big of a government.

But conservatives don't mind proposing that the federal government should overrule states' decisions to allow homosexuals to marry and say that they cannot.

Why on earth would she care who can marry or not marry in another state? People like her are on the wrong side of history, here.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Next tactic? This bill has been years in the works. Also, if there's enough popular support, there would really be no way to stop that amendment.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Next tactic? This bill has been years in the works. Also, if there's enough popular support, there would really be no way to stop that amendment.

If you cannot strand the fact that people are afforded freedom, rights and equality in this country, then perhaps America isn't just for you. :shrug:

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
If you cannot strand the fact that people are afforded freedom, rights and equality in this country, then perhaps America isn't just for you. :shrug:
If that amendment passes, I'll say the same to you...
Oh, wait, liberals run to Canada each time the US government does something they don't like.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
This is just plain stupid. Just when the Republican party has a real chance to crush Obama, they want to act stupid on an issue...... Wait a minute....... Don't Obama have to sign something?

We need to focus on the economy, not crush a small victory in New York.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
If that amendment passes, I'll say the same to you...
Oh, wait, liberals run to Canada each time the US government does something they don't like.

I don't know about "running to Canada", but when the U.S. government tramples the constitution, and the rights and liberty of its own people, is a valid cause for concern. I guess I just have a higher standard when it comes to ethics and justice.

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
I don't know about "running to Canada", but when the U.S. government tramples the constitution, and the rights and liberty of its own people, is a valid cause for concern. I guess I just have a higher standard when it comes to ethics and justice.
To be honest, it seems executive orders have taken precedence over the constitution for some time. Your higher standard has become largely ignored.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
To be honest, it seems executive orders have taken precedence over the constitution for some time. Your higher standard has become largely ignored.

Yes, I'm well aware that mainstream conservatives have been hard at work undermining the very values that define this nation. It's a shame they have no honor or integrity.

gnomon

Well at least we can say NY Republican Roy McDonald will not support this move. I wish there was a video of him stating:
You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters. "You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, **** it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.
"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this.

This statement when he said he would vote in favor of gay marriage.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, I'm well aware that mainstream conservatives have been hard at work undermining the very values that define this nation. It's a shame they have no honor or integrity.
That's silly. They just have a different vision for the country.
One can hold different values, even abominable ones, & still have honor & integrity.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's silly. They just have a different vision for the country.
One can hold different values, even abominable ones, & still have honor & integrity.

Sure they can have different visions and values. The problem lies with pretending they're compatible with the visions and values that the nation is actually defined by and was founded upon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sure they can have different visions and values. The problem lies with pretending they're compatible with the visions and values that the nation is actually defined by and was founded upon.
I don't think they're pretending.
And both major parties appear to be sincerely subverting the founders' visions & values.
(I prefer to subvert current values.)