• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not real???

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I will start with the fact that a mistaken idea is not real and thus not in reality and thus not physical, yet the mistaken idea is in my head, which is physical and in reality.
So how does it work? I have a mistaken idea and want to write about. That causes a physical process in my brain and body, which is in reality and then passes through the Internet as a lot of physical processes in reality into your physical head in reality and then turns not real in your head as now not in reality and not physical.

So my question is: What is the evidence for this?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I will start with the fact that a mistaken idea is not real and thus not in reality and thus not physical, yet the mistaken idea is in my head, which is physical and in reality.
So how does it work? I have a mistaken idea and want to write about. That causes a physical process in my brain and body, which is in reality and then passes through the Internet as a lot of physical processes in reality into your physical head in reality and then turns not real in your head as now not in reality and not physical.

As it's early and my head still has a waking up funk in it, I shall just say the evidence is that we live in a strange world hardly anything is ever what it actually seems. Like that brain and body, it's just a cloud of energy when we look closer.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What?

Concision please friend
E.g. fiction is not real. But yet I can pick up a book written as fiction. All that is physical, real and in reality. Yet fiction as a book genre is not real in some sense.
I don't understand that. The effect in my brain are real, physical and in reality and can be detected in brain scan.

So how is it not real?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
So how is it not real?

Because it's just a best guess, an interpretation from a limited apparatus (the senses mislead).

So whatever you conceive of fiction or not, whatever you sense as real, isn't what is actually there.

Hence, illusory.

Edit: and yet, at the same time, it does exist. A paradox for the ages.

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

It appears to me that this is evidence that you are laboring to resolve a semantic paradox that originates from having poorly constructed propositions and reasoning. Ideas exist.

Whether an idea is mistaken or not, you are talking about their truth value.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
E.g. fiction is not real. But yet I can pick up a book written as fiction. All that is physical, real and in reality. Yet fiction as a book genre is not real in some sense.
I don't understand that. The effect in my brain are real, physical and in reality and can be detected in brain scan.

So how is it not real?

C111C73B-FC16-45A0-9EA1-240F3EEDEBF2.jpeg

Is Mario real?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Because it's just a best guess, an interpretation from a limited apparatus (the senses mislead).

So whatever you conceive of fiction or not, whatever you sense as real, isn't what is actually there.

Hence, illusory.
I believe "The map is not the territory" is an expression that works here.:D

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It appears to me that this is evidence that you are laboring to resolve a semantic paradox that originates from having poorly constructed propositions and reasoning. Ideas exist.

Whether an idea is mistaken or not, you are talking about their truth value.

So where does truth value exist and is it real? If yes, what is your evidence? If no, what is your evidence?

Last edited:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So where does truth value exist and is it real? If yes, what is your evidence?
You're just restating your semantic nonsense with other terms.

No, let's start with what you said:

"I will start with the fact that a mistaken idea is not real and thus not in reality and thus not physical, yet the mistaken idea is in my head, which is physical and in reality."

What is mistaken idea versus any other kind of idea?
How do you differentiate them?
How do you know any statement (including your original sentence) is indeed a fact?
What is the relationship between "real" and "not physical/physical"?

You have not established that any of your assertions in the above sentence is a fact, is real, and is or is not physical. Indeed, you seem to be conflating "real" with "physical" without having clearly defined your terms of reference.

The idea is not the object...a map is not the territory...your statement is treating the map as if it is the territory...hence your paradox...

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You're just restating your semantic nonsense with other terms.

No, let's start with what you said:

"I will start with the fact that a mistaken idea is not real and thus not in reality and thus not physical, yet the mistaken idea is in my head, which is physical and in reality."

What is mistaken idea versus any other kind of idea?
How do you differentiate them?
How do you know any statement (including your original sentence) is indeed a fact?
What is the relationship between "real" and "not physical/physical"?

You have not established that any of your assertions in the above sentence is a fact, is real, and is or is not physical. Indeed, you seem to be conflating "real" with "physical" without having clearly defined your terms of reference.

The idea is not the object...a map is not the territory...your statement is treating the map as if it is the territory...hence your paradox...

So where is a map if not in a terrority?

If you make a model of the world, where do you actually make the model? Where are you if not in the world?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So where is a map if not in a terrority?

If you make a model of the world, where do you actually make the model? Where are you if not in the world?
if you make a model of something, physically, you are in the world. If you make a mental model of something, an idea, you are in the world, and your idea is in the world, inside you.

One might find a way to make an idea of an unreal object 'real,' by drawing a picture or writing some code that when fed through a certain device will generate a physical image of something that does not exist. Such objects are maps of ideas that are unreal...made real because ideas are real, and you can conceive of symbolic maps of things that do or do not exist in reality.

Indeed, the idea of ideas is merely an idea, a symbolic map that we in reality can experience in our imagination.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
if you make a model of something, physically, you are in the world. If you make a mental model of something, an idea, you are in the world, and your idea is in the world, inside you.

One might find a way to make an idea of an unreal object 'real,' by drawing a picture or writing some code that when fed through a certain device will generate a physical image of something that does not exist. Such objects are maps of ideas that are unreal...made real because ideas are real, and you can conceive of symbolic maps of things that do or do not exist in reality.

Indeed, the idea of ideas is merely an idea, a symbolic map that we in reality can experience in our imagination.

So you have 2 categories. Mental and physical. Okay, that is close enough for me, since as I understand it, mental is real.

That fits this theorem in sociology:
Thomas theorem - Wikipedia.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
So you have 2 categories. Mental and physical. Okay, that is close enough for me, since as I understand it, mental is real.

That fits this theorem in sociology:
Thomas theorem - Wikipedia.
hmmm.

I have the concept that there could be two categories. That is a mental map of the territory. It could also be that there is only mental, and that physical is an concept that is not real, a map of territory that does not actually exist...or that is real only under certain mental conditions (given quantum interpretations of reality)...or vice versa...

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
hmmm.

I have the concept that there could be two categories. That is a mental map of the territory. It could also be that there is only mental, and that physical is an concept that is not real, a map of territory that does not actually exist...or that is real only under certain mental conditions (given quantum interpretations of reality)...or vice versa...

Yeah, but now we are entering philosophy, though we have been there all the time. :)

exchemist

Veteran Member

Is this a question about imagination, then? Because what a mistaken idea and fiction have in common is that they are imaginary rather than real.

Or is it about the image - or map- of the world that our brain forms, which may not completely correspond to the territory it maps?

Or is it about coding: the patterns in the brain are merely a code for representing reality.

Or something else?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Is this a question about imagination, then? Because what a mistaken idea and fiction have in common is that they are imaginary rather than real.

Yeah, but the problem I have it this. I now imagine that they are imaginary and real. That is a mistaken idea. Yet that causes me to write this post and you react to it,
I mean it is all in my mind as something I think and yet you are going to react to it. So what is going on if it is not real?

In other words I have a mental idea that is only mental, yet you are seeing it on a screen and that cause a reaction in you.
In the correct test, scientists could brain scan us and see results.

So in philosophical terms what is the ontological status of they are imaginary rather than real if that can be detected in a brain scan?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Or is it about coding: the patterns in the brain are merely a code for representing reality.

Or something else?

I missed these ones.
Where are they then for the bold one?

To me you are doing a weird form of ontological dualism of real and unreal.

As for something else, I don't know.