• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not reading the Bible in Greek- why?

Quick question for Christians regarding reading the Bible.

In other Abrahamic religions, Islam and Judaism, there is a strong tradition (and it is part of the faith) to read their specific religious texts, the Torah and Qur'an, in the original Hebrew and Arabic.

So why have Christians not got the same emphasis on reading the NT in Greek? It is obvious that much of the meaning of the Greek text is lost in translation, as is the theological emphasis. Certainly in early Christian churches, Latin and Greek were both used.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Quick question for Christians regarding reading the Bible.

In other Abrahamic religions, Islam and Judaism, there is a strong tradition (and it is part of the faith) to read their specific religious texts, the Torah and Qur'an, in the original Hebrew and Arabic.

So why have Christians not got the same emphasis on reading the NT in Greek? It is obvious that much of the meaning of the Greek text is lost in translation, as is the theological emphasis. Certainly in early Christian churches, Latin and Greek were both used.
While I sympathize with your perspective. I think that its simply that among Jews there is a long historical tradition of dealing with the Jewish corpus and Hebrew scriptures in the original Hebrew.
in Islam the way I see it its somewhat different, true there are about 3.4 million Arabs in the world, but even they have a bit of difficulties with fully understanding the Classical Arabic of the Qur'an, the other over a billion Muslim followers have a much harder time.

Sajdah

Al-Aqsa Is In My Heart.
I just want to illustrate that it's obligatory for All Muslims to recite the Holy Qur'an in Arabic language.... Even if they don't understand the meanings clearly, therefore there are translations of the MEANING. And For Arabs who have difficulty in understanding any word in the Qur'an, they can simply refer to the books of Tafseer.

And I do apologise for posting in the section of christianity.

Dunemeister

English speakers, at any rate, don't need Greek. The English language has about a hundred translations, some twenty of which are highly rigorous and done by committee. Such bibles have variant readings in the footnotes, so if the committee disagrees about a passage, you can see that as a reader.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
It could also be due to the fact that a lot less emphasis is placed on practical use and study by the average believe in Christianity than in Islam/Judaism. Islam/Judaism both have strong traditions of study, not only for clergy, but for the average believer. Not only that, but the standards of study and understanding are much different. A lot of Christians probably lack the will to study up in Greek for themselves when there are so many "scholars" out there who've studied it for them...It could also be that there are a lot of Christians and Greek is difficult to learn. Most people in general don't like to do things if they don't see the benefit as being worth more than the input.

Izdaari

Emergent Anglo-Catholic
As has been noted, there are a number of good English translations, so it isn't greatly advantageous for the ordinary believer, and it isn't even essential for the average pastor, to read it in the original languages. But if you're going to be an academic bible scholar or theologian, then yes, you really must read Greek and Hebrew. I'm beginning to study NT Greek on my own, and it's slow going, but I'll get it eventually.

Arkholt

Non-vessel
Personally... it just never occurred to me. I think that's true with most Christians. Many perhaps don't even know what language the Bible was originally written in.

shortfade2

Yeah. If they offered Greek in my high school I would take it, but they dont, so I am going to wait untill I actually have any money, and buy the rosetta stone, or some other way to learn to speak, read, and write in greek

Dunemeister

Yeah. If they offered Greek in my high school I would take it, but they dont, so I am going to wait untill I actually have any money, and buy the rosetta stone, or some other way to learn to speak, read, and write in greek

Rosetta Stone won't do you a lick of good with respect to the New Testament. NT Greek is long dead. There's a genetic relationship between it and modern Greek, but knowing modern Greek will not help you read the NT.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Rosetta Stone won't do you a lick of good with respect to the New Testament. NT Greek is long dead. There's a genetic relationship between it and modern Greek, but knowing modern Greek will not help you read the NT.
I didn't realize that. :eek:

Arkholt

Non-vessel
My university has classes in ancient greek, but that's only because one of the philosophy professors is very well versed in it. Just because it's a dead language doesn't mean nobody knows it anymore, just that nobody speaks it.