• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Not Mature

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
paradox said:
of course, but you do care now, that's the point.
just because fetus or born baby doesn't have an IQ of 90 doesn't mean it wouldn't care to exist or not.
Until it develops self-consciousness and a concept of futurity, no opinions regarding these are possible.

Does your non-existent brother John regret the fact that he was never born?
Your attributing desire to the non-existent; to the potential.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
She could have as well take a pill to prevent conception, was she not mature enough to make that decision?
And if she was not mature enough to make that decision, what makes you think she's mature enough -- without a job, without income, without parental support -- to bring up this child?

Or maybe, like so many Republicans you don't care about the child once it's born, only that it gets born. Starving to death is so much better than being aborted before you're even conscious of it, right?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
And if she was not mature enough to make that decision, what makes you think she's mature enough -- without a job, without income, without parental support -- to bring up this child?
I think parents of her and her boy should take care.
finding a job is not really an issue, young people find it much sooner than older people.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I think parents of her and her boy should take care.
finding a job is not really an issue, young people find it much sooner than older people.
You may have missed it, though I said it: she is parentless. And you may not be aware, but very often young males, once they get what they want, don't always stick around waiting to find out if they are about to be fathers. Mine didn't, not for me, nor his second son, born exactly 6 months after me. He did, however, marry the girl who was pregnant by him only 3 months after his second son was born.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
You may have missed it, though I said it: she is parentless.
Maybe you misread the article, but she has a guardian, probably because her father is not fit to care for her.

And you may not be aware, but very often young males, once they get what they want, don't always stick around waiting to find out if they are about to be fathers.
Therefore he should pay alimony, nobody can force him to be father.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Maybe you misread the article, but she has a guardian, probably because her father is not fit to care for her.

Therefore he should pay alimony, nobody can force him to be father.
You know, your pious "shoulds" are of little use in the real world.

Do you know what people dislike more than pride? People who think they know what everybody else should do. We all hate that.

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Yeah, but a judge can force a girl to become mother. Hey, wouldn't it be better if the judge should pay the alimony?
Judge didn't force her to go to bed, he prevented murder of helpless and innocent human being.

amorphous_constellation

Judge didn't force her to go to bed, he prevented murder of helpless and innocent human being.

Can I ask you something, since this is overall, supposed to be a religious forum. Is there some aspect of your religious sense that is informing or instructing you to seem to like the judge's ruling, or do you seem to like it out of more of a materialist respect for the legalism of it

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
Can I ask you something, since this is overall, supposed to be a religious forum. Is there some aspect of your religious sense that is informing or instructing you to seem to like the judge's ruling, or do you seem to like it out of more of a materialist respect for the legalism of it
Yes there is past religious aspect but now I more look at it through "morally correct" prism.
Also I see legal system (laws) to lack in morality here and there.
By "morality" I do not mean church dogma but rather ethics, church dogma just happens to be in line with ethics.
Ethics - Wikipedia

amorphous_constellation

Yes there is past religious aspect but now I more look at it through "morally correct" prism.
Also I see legal system (laws) to lack in morality here and there.
By "morality" I do not mean church dogma but rather ethics, church dogma just happens to be in line with ethics.
Ethics - Wikipedia

So not legalism, and not the church, but 'ethics.' Which philosopher do you like? If you scroll through the page on ethics on wikipedia, you will see a number of philosophers, each probably having different views. They would all argue with each other, if in the same room

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)
So not legalism, and not the church, but 'ethics.' Which philosopher do you like? If you scroll through the page on ethics on wikipedia, you will see a number of philosophers, each probably having different views. They would all argue with each other, if in the same room
I'm aware that morality is very vague in philosophy and I don't have my favorite among thinkers, so if I go pick one it would artificial.

I prefer the method of choosing the lesser evil because it's very straightforward and clear:
evil 1: abortion - ending life of helpless and innocent human being
evil 2: right of choice - not respecting choice of women

which evil is lesser?
ending life or not respecting choice, it's pretty simple to to draw conclusion.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm aware that morality is very vague in philosophy and I don't have my favorite among thinkers, so if I go pick one it would artificial.

I prefer the method of choosing the lesser evil because it's very straightforward and clear:
evil 1: abortion - ending life of helpless and innocent human being
evil 2: right of choice - not respecting choice of women

which evil is lesser?
ending life or not respecting choice, it's pretty simple to to draw conclusion.
What makes it wrong to end a life? Is it life itself, helplessness, innocence, or something else?