• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nonbelievers to Hell!

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I was talking to my very Christian Aunt, and I told her that I follow Asatru. Now she knows me very well and really feels that I am a genuinely kind and loving person. I asked her, based on her beliefs, that even though I am not a Christian, would I go to heaven when I died, if it existed. She said no, I would go to hell for eternity. Me, a kind and loving person, would go to Hell and burn for eternity, all because I didn't accept Jesus as my saviour. That's outrageous to me, and shows how intolerant the Christian god is, at least in my Aunt's interpretation. Now my Aunt is not the "religious" Christian, she says she is a "spiritual" Christian. One who feels that have a one-on-one relationship with God, and disagrees a lot with the Church. She says the only things you must do to get to Heaven is accept you are a sinner, and accept Jesus. She is very tolerant however, it seems as if her god is not. Her loving god who shows her the way, the truth, and the light, and cares so much about her and guides her. This loving god sends another loving human to eternal Hellfire for not accepting him.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I was talking to my very Christian Aunt, and I told her that I follow Asatru. Now she knows me very well and really feels that I am a genuinely kind and loving person. I asked her, based on her beliefs, that even though I am not a Christian, would I go to heaven when I died, if it existed. She said no, I would go to hell for eternity. Me, a kind and loving person, would go to Hell and burn for eternity, all because I didn't accept Jesus as my saviour. That's outrageous to me, and shows how intolerant the Christian god is, at least in my Aunt's interpretation. Now my Aunt is not the "religious" Christian, she says she is a "spiritual" Christian. One who feels that have a one-on-one relationship with God, and disagrees a lot with the Church. She says the only things you must do to get to Heaven is accept you are a sinner, and accept Jesus. She is very tolerant however, it seems as if her god is not. Her loving god who shows her the way, the truth, and the light, and cares so much about her and guides her. This loving god sends another loving human to eternal Hellfire for not accepting him.

What better way to win converts than to scare them into it?

jmvizanko

Uber Tool

You should explain to her that you, nor anybody else, can choose what they think is true about the invisible. Arguments are just more convincing to some people, and different ones for others. So why is this heinous enough to deserve hell?

Then step back and watch the BS roll out of her mouth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How about.....

God doesn't let everyone into heaven because Man is a creature that soils the nest?

Therefore some picking and choosing is required.

And why choose non-believers?

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Because it's not their fault? Creating people as people and then getting annoyed when they act like people is rather silly.

Noaidi

slow walker
Don't worry about it, Klaufi. It's just a story. Ask your aunt to justify what she told you and you will find that she probably won't get too far beyond "but it's what I believe....". You said that she is tolerant. If so, I'm sure she will listen to you and respect your beliefs.

As MeowMix above said, it's all scare tactics designed to swell the numbers then keep them there.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
How about.....

God doesn't let everyone into heaven because Man is a creature that soils the nest?

Therefore some picking and choosing is required.

And why choose non-believers?

Why on earth would he punish non-believers just for failing to discover evidence of his existence? Let's say that you had a kid who through a tragic accident was raised by wolves and never came to really find evidence that you even existed.

At the end of their life they awaken in a hospital with you looking over them and they say, "Oh my gosh, you DO exist! Wow, this is wonderful!"

Then you proceed to dump the gasoline on them and light the match.

Are you a "good" parent?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why on earth would he punish non-believers just for failing to discover evidence of his existence? Let's say that you had a kid who through a tragic accident was raised by wolves and never came to really find evidence that you even existed.

At the end of their life they awaken in a hospital with you looking over them and they say, "Oh my gosh, you DO exist! Wow, this is wonderful!"

Then you proceed to dump the gasoline on them and light the match.

Are you a "good" parent?

You're side stepping the point.
Why choose non-believers?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You're side stepping the point.
Why choose non-believers?

No, you're side-stepping the OP's point. Why punish non-believers? Eternally, at that?

Why not just provide solid evidence to them so that they can make an informed choice?

Or, perhaps, set aside another heaven-like place so they don't "soil" the nest but not be punished eternally for something outside of their control -- lack of evidence?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, you're side-stepping the OP's point. Why punish non-believers? Eternally, at that?

Why not just provide solid evidence to them so that they can make an informed choice?

Or, perhaps, set aside another heaven-like place so they don't "soil" the nest but not be punished eternally for something outside of their control -- lack of evidence?

You're assuming punishment.

I make no assumption of that sort.

If you enter into heaven it is that you belong there.

Are you not assuming ALL are worthy to walk in heaven?...without objection?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
You're assuming punishment.

I make no assumption of that sort.

If you enter into heaven it is that you belong there.

Are you not assuming ALL are worthy to walk in heaven?...without objection?

I guess I'm confused considering the title of the OP was "Nonbelievers to hell!"

Assuming punishment if they are in hell seems reasonable to me. Are you asserting nonbelievers do NOT go to hell? Is hell not a place of punishment everlasting, pain beyond reckoning, etc.?

The point is that if God causes nonbelievers to suffer infinitely because they failed to find evidence (which isn't forthcoming in any sense) then that is intensely malevolent of him -- more worthy an action of a demon than a god.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense, why this "game" where we have to go through life without evidence yet somehow still have to come to believe through "faith," even though there are an infinite number of equally "supported" beliefs through "faith" -- you have to find that exact correct one, and ding! You win the lottery, but if you accidently pick the wrong one since you lack any evidence, we're sorry... and swoosh, the trap door opens and you burn forever.

How is that "just" in any sense? It's asinine; completely ridiculous. I imagine the devil with a pitchfork, pointy tail, goatee and all looking over such with glee far easier than any sort of merciful "god."

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I guess I'm confused considering the title of the OP was "Nonbelievers to hell!"

Assuming punishment if they are in hell seems reasonable to me. Are you asserting nonbelievers do NOT go to hell? Is hell not a place of punishment everlasting, pain beyond reckoning, etc.?

The point is that if God causes nonbelievers to suffer infinitely because they failed to find evidence (which isn't forthcoming in any sense) then that is intensely malevolent of him -- more worthy an action of a demon than a god.

The whole thing just doesn't make sense, why this "game" where we have to go through life without evidence yet somehow still have to come to believe through "faith," even though there are an infinite number of equally "supported" beliefs through "faith" -- you have to find that exact correct one, and ding! You win the lottery, but if you accidently pick the wrong one since you lack any evidence, we're sorry... and swoosh, the trap door opens and you burn forever.

How is that "just" in any sense? It's asinine; completely ridiculous. I imagine the devil with a pitchfork, pointy tail, goatee and all looking over such with glee far easier than any sort of merciful "god."
I suspect that Thief's point is that not all theists, and not all Christians for the matter, believe in a "hell" concept.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
I suspect that Thief's point is that not all theists, and not all Christians for the matter, believe in a "hell" concept.

Which I'm aware of. However, the post Thief originally made wasn't quite forthcoming with suggesting that nonbelievers don't go to hell, if that was their point. (I'm not convinced it is).

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Which I'm aware of. However, the post Thief originally made wasn't quite forthcoming with suggesting that nonbelievers don't go to hell, if that was their point. (I'm not convinced it is).
hmmm....
Fair enough.