• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Theists: Do you hide it?

spiritually inclined

For a long time I have rejected traditional god concepts and have come to the conclusion that the word "god" is not an appropriate word to describe anything I believe in. I have ceased to identify insights and even profound experiences (some may say spiritual?) with the word "God" because typically that entails that such human experiences are derived from somewhere outside of the human brain.

However, when I don't know someone well -- or I just don't want to argue with a troll -- I find myself softening the word "atheist" with agnostic, or non-theist, or even post-theist, which are all appropriate words, yet atheist seems like the easiest way to define my views. Often-times I avoid the discussion altogether.

As non-theists, do you hide your non-beliefs from certain people or all people? Or soften the issue by avoiding the word "atheist"? Or, like I often do, try to stay out of it (at least with family)? How ethical is it to do this?

Are there significant differences in how individuals define the words atheist, non-theist, or post-theist?

Thanks,
James

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Hi James.
I'm not sure I should respond here. But.... I believe in God, not in a theistic sense but as a projection of my own mind. God is a mechanism to make sense of the wonder in which I find myself. As such I don't feel I'm either an atheist or a theist. I regard myself as stuck in a place that I don't really have the vocabulary for. I don't hide my beliefs, I just have difficulty expressing them.

spiritually inclined

Hi James.
I'm not sure I should respond here. But.... I believe in God, not in a theistic sense but as a projection of my own mind. God is a mechanism to make sense of the wonder in which I find myself. As such I don't feel I'm either an atheist or a theist. I regard myself as stuck in a place that I don't really have the vocabulary for. I don't hide my beliefs, I just have difficulty expressing them.

I know what you mean, and I do think religious people, even Christians, can be non-theists, at least when Christianity is non-literalized. However, I think all of the God language is generally confusing to people; it requires non-theists who nonetheless refer to some impersonal god or source of love to define what a god is in some other way.

However, the word "God" means so many things to so many people that I could believe in God -- that is, if you define God as the universe, or matter, or the sun, or some part of my brain. But why call it God?

James

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
As non-theists, do you hide your non-beliefs from certain people or all people?
Yes, although it's not non-belief so much as I know what it is I do believe.

Or, like I often do, try to stay out of it (at least with family)? How ethical is it to do this?
Also yes. I don't see it as a matter of ethics.

Are there significant differences in how individuals define the words atheist, non-theist, or post-theist?
Of course.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I do hide it from a lot of people. It's just not generally accepted in my opinion. Once you get to know someone, and if you find you're becoming friends with them, you can usually tell if they're going to be cool with that fact or not.

I'm very open, though, and excited about my newfound unbelief in god so I have been saying whatever is on my mind (if it fits in the conversation, I don't just announce it). Like today. My works sells several little signs that say things like "Prayer changes everything," "For God so loved the world, he gave us [insert sport]," "In God We Trust," and other things referring directly to god and how powerful/compassionate he is. Also, angel figurines & statues, decorative boxes with religious themes, etc. So I was thinking, what would happen if someone made signs that were atheistic in nature and we sold them? I figure almost every would have a conniption and damn near have a heart attack over it. How is that fair?? Why must people who do not believe in god not only hide that fact but suppress it?

UnTheist

Ya, I do. Nobody in my school knows, or in my extended family. I have told my mother, though, so she would stop forcing me to go to church.

It's just not worth dealing with, IMO.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
For a long time I have rejected traditional god concepts and have come to the conclusion that the word "god" is not an appropriate word to describe anything I believe in. I have ceased to identify insights and even profound experiences (some may say spiritual?) with the word "God" because typically that entails that such human experiences are derived from somewhere outside of the human brain.
"God" isn't my preferred word, either, but I use it anyway. It's a convenient shorthand to avoid subjecting the uninterested to lengthy lectures on my beliefs.

As non-theists, do you hide your non-beliefs from certain people or all people? Or soften the issue by avoiding the word "atheist"? Or, like I often do, try to stay out of it (at least with family)? How ethical is it to do this?
I only avoid it with my grandmother. I'm still in the closet with her as well, and for the same reason: while I don't believe she would reject me, she might well believe I'm going to Hell, and I don't want to upset her like that.

I wrestle with the ethics of my obfuscation on both counts. I feel hypocritical and dishonest about it. OTOH, I feel the need to protect her. It's a tangle.

Well, to me, non-theism does not imply atheism (as my title should make apparent), only a lack of what I've heard described as Classical Theism: the belief that God is a supernatural entity, usually the Creator. Non-theism is rejection of that specific God-concept, whereas atheism is a rejection of all God-concepts.

I'm not familiar with the term "post-theism." How would you define that one?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I try not to discuss my beliefs with my in-laws; they handled me being non-Catholic. Them finding out that I'm not a Christian at all would probably be an issue. Telling them that I'm an atheist... yow. When I think about how that family dinner would play out, I don't see it ending well.

That being said, if they ever flat-out asked me, I wouldn't lie about it. For me, the ethical problem would arise with me deliberately misleading people; in this situation, I don't feel a particular duty to correct people's false assumptions.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I try not to discuss my beliefs with my in-laws; they handled me being non-Catholic. Them finding out that I'm not a Christian at all would probably be an issue. Telling them that I'm an atheist... yow. When I think about how that family dinner would play out, I don't see it ending well.

That being said, if they ever flat-out asked me, I wouldn't lie about it. For me, the ethical problem would arise with me deliberately misleading people; in this situation, I don't feel a particular duty to correct people's false assumptions.
This is how I handle it with my grandmother. On the one occasion that she asked me about my beliefs, I answered her honestly, but minimally. She changed the subject rather quickly, and hasn't raised it again. I'd guess she now knows just enough that she doesn't want to know more.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!

However, when I don't know someone well -- or I just don't want to argue with a troll -- I find myself softening the word "atheist" with agnostic, or non-theist, or even post-theist, which are all appropriate words, yet atheist seems like the easiest way to define my views. Often-times I avoid the discussion altogether.

Thanks,
James
Well, I'm Buddhist, and I don't hide that. Some people just say "oh"; others ask "But you still believe in God, right?" This gives an opportunity for a discussion of different viewpoints, if the other person is willing.

Buddhists can be atheist, non-theist, or probably even somewhat theistic, depending on the person, the culture, and their style of Buddhist practice, so it isn't always the same answer. Personally I don't believe in a human-shaped, personalized, omnipotent creator entity who cares what you or I believe in. Are there other living entities in the universe (or multiverse) that are more intelligent and/or powerful than human beings? I have no problem believing that, I just don't think they are worried a whole lot about us.

Last edited:

spiritually inclined

I have heard the term post-theism used rarely, but it seems to be a vague term meaning that a person no longer finds relevance in god concepts or at least not theistic god-concepts (magical creator god in the sky).

To my understanding it can include atheism and agnosticism but seems to imply an understanding that finds such questions irrelevant to human life and morality.

James

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have heard the term post-theism used rarely, but it seems to be a vague term meaning that a person no longer finds relevance in god concepts or at least not theistic god-concepts (magical creator god in the sky).

To my understanding it can include atheism and agnosticism but seems to imply an understanding that finds such questions irrelevant to human life and morality.
You might wish to consider the term ignosticism.

my view on it is: if you can't win anything by saying it then it might be better left unsaid

Jeremiah

I can't recall ever hiding my so called atheism. I like explaining my philosophies to those that would listen. I am not very good at it though; explaining that is.

lombas

Society of Brethren
I don't see why I should hide it. In my country only 50% of the population or so believes in God, so it's not that I have to avoid conflicts or whatever.

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.

I don't hide my beliefs or try to soften them, because I view it as a real problem that religious viewpoints are overrepresented in society in the United States, particularly in politics. That doesn't mean that I actively spread my (non)belief, like the Jews for Jesus or Scientologists, who accost me about once a week in the city. It just means that if it comes up naturally I don't hesitate to talk about my atheism and provide counterarguments to peoples arguments.

The only case where I actively avoid talking about my atheism is around my mother. Since she is a devout Christian (as I was previously) I can understand how she feels given that she thinks her son is going to hell. I don't have any desire to hurt the feelings of someone I love.