• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Muslim, Hadith believers are stauncher than Muslims themselves

firedragon

Veteran Member
Ahadith which is the plural for Hadith should have been used in the title of this thread, but I intentionally changed it to Hadith because non-muslims might not get it immediately.

Ahadith are many. Some say that one scholar called Imam Hanbal who was born around 150 years after the prophet Muhammed died had memorised a million ahadith. Well, a million is an uphill battle for a normal human being, thus it may very well be hero worshiping of a leader by his students. Nevertheless, the number of ahadith floating around are stupendously huge.

I found it quite strange when someone claims he has read all 6 ahadith collections of the Sunni tradition (not knowing the Shii's also follow the same ahadith, but have a different methodology) as if saying "sunni" makes it sound more authentic. These 6 hadith collections are very famous, its all over the internet, and all the islamic websites as well as anti islamic websites talk about it. Thats why its famous to say "I have read all 6". The reason this is strange is because the claim is made, but the claimant only seems to remember a particular type of stories. E.g. A man when peeing is advised to carry 3 pebbles to clean himself after the act is done. Or something like "Muhammed married a little girl". Maybe even something like "Muhammed ordered murder". Its strange that someone who has read 6 volumes, one of them having around 7,000 stories, and in all 6 of these so called collections containing around 32,000 stories, reading through all of these stories is quite an achievement. Being an atheist to have done this is quite amazing. Its not that this is specific to atheists, but this is an atheist who claimed this just yesterday. Another strange matter is that very few people who claim to have read so much seem to have read one of the most important or highly regarded hadith collections that is placed above all of these so called Sahih Sittha or the authentic 6. Some might know what that is.

Anyway, this is about general, historic muslim views and scholarship since anyone could trace after the advent of ahadith and not about my personal views. Lets say someone, atheist, Christian or other picks a particular hadith from somewhere, like a story about 72 "houris" you will get in heaven when a so called "martyr" dies, its actually a very juicy story to quote. Very juicy. Leaving aside simple factors that makes this claim very lame in the eyes of simple language, lets say someone says "it is not authentic", the proponent is very quick to negate this as false apologetics, or lying, or "white washing" etc, etc. Its as if the proponent is very highly believing in this hadith, although a muslim seems to reject it as unauthentic. Now that's a strange situation. This same topic has been discussed in this forum over and over again but it has to be brought up also "over and over again".

The reason for specifically mentioning atheists and Christians is because Hindus, though very very large in numbers around the world dont really proselytise. There are a few Hindus who use this kind of hadith, but they are very few. Same goes to Jews who also very rarely proselytise, no disrespect intended.

Throughout history, ahadith has been always considered what they call in arabic "thabanni wa rafaad" as in "accept and not accept" as a policy with hadith. Hadith means stories or narrations. There are some schools of thought that even deny that ahadith are considered Sunnah or "the way" as in they claim that ahadith may direct you towards the Sunnah, but it is not "The Sunnah". Rather the Sunnah is the living tradition passed through generations in Medinah by the earliest people around. So these Muslim scholars or learned people throughout history have been trying their levels best to develop various methods of authenticating and rejecting hadith. Some people go through years and years of effort in this scrutiny, but the non-muslim in this discussion are stauncher than the staunchest Muslim. They believe in the hadith with no question. :) Dont be mistaken, even Muslims insist upon some hadith because they love it. But the problem is, atheists and Christians are not Muslim to have so much faith in these stories they pick. This is a phenomena not only in this forum, but also in many books written by Christians and atheists around the world. They would say something like "Muhammed did this", but hey, why do you believe he did this? Why do you believe this story? Dont you have a particular methodology? You are making a historical claim!!!

One of the most popular apologetic is that "Muslims believe this". First of all, no muslim believes in all the stories. No one. Also, muslims believe this is not a criteria for a historical claim for a non-muslim. If "Muslims believe this" is the criteria, then you have to also believe in other things Muslims believe because its the same criteria, or you are practicing a double standard. One standard for your favourite apologetic, and another standard for not so juicy stories.

I believe that this is intellectual dishonesty, spread across openly. This has been discussed a few times, but the discussion point is, why do people still keep doing this? Do they do it unknowingly? Is it even possible that people are doing this unknowingly? Ignorance is fine, it exists and everyone is ignorant about something or a lot of things, but then why insist? Why make historical claims?

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ahadith which is the plural for Hadith should have been used in the title of this thread, but I intentionally changed it to Hadith because non-muslims might not get it immediately.

Ahadith are many. Some say that one scholar called Imam Hanbal who was born around 150 years after the prophet Muhammed died had memorised a million ahadith. Well, a million is an uphill battle for a normal human being, thus it may very well be hero worshiping of a leader by his students. Nevertheless, the number of ahadith floating around are stupendously huge.

I found it quite strange when someone claims he has read all 6 ahadith collections of the Sunni tradition (not knowing the Shii's also follow the same ahadith, but have a different methodology) as if saying "sunni" makes it sound more authentic. These 6 hadith collections are very famous, its all over the internet, and all the islamic websites as well as anti islamic websites talk about it. Thats why its famous to say "I have read all 6". The reason this is strange is because the claim is made, but the claimant only seems to remember a particular type of stories. E.g. A man when peeing is advised to carry 3 pebbles to clean himself after the act is done. Or something like "Muhammed married a little girl". Maybe even something like "Muhammed ordered murder". Its strange that someone who has read 6 volumes, one of them having around 7,000 stories, and in all 6 of these so called collections containing around 32,000 stories, reading through all of these stories is quite an achievement. Being an atheist to have done this is quite amazing. Its not that this is specific to atheists, but this is an atheist who claimed this just yesterday. Another strange matter is that very few people who claim to have read so much seem to have read one of the most important or highly regarded hadith collections that is placed above all of these so called Sahih Sittha or the authentic 6. Some might know what that is.

Anyway, this is about general, historic muslim views and scholarship since anyone could trace after the advent of ahadith and not about my personal views. Lets say someone, atheist, Christian or other picks a particular hadith from somewhere, like a story about 72 "houris" you will get in heaven when a so called "martyr" dies, its actually a very juicy story to quote. Very juicy. Leaving aside simple factors that makes this claim very lame in the eyes of simple language, lets say someone says "it is not authentic", the proponent is very quick to negate this as false apologetics, or lying, or "white washing" etc, etc. Its as if the proponent is very highly believing in this hadith, although a muslim seems to reject it as unauthentic. Now that's a strange situation. This same topic has been discussed in this forum over and over again but it has to be brought up also "over and over again".

The reason for specifically mentioning atheists and Christians is because Hindus, though very very large in numbers around the world dont really proselytise. There are a few Hindus who use this kind of hadith, but they are very few. Same goes to Jews who also very rarely proselytise, no disrespect intended.

Throughout history, ahadith has been always considered what they call in arabic "thabanni wa rafaad" as in "accept and not accept" as a policy with hadith. Hadith means stories or narrations. There are some schools of thought that even deny that ahadith are considered Sunnah or "the way" as in they claim that ahadith may direct you towards the Sunnah, but it is not "The Sunnah". Rather the Sunnah is the living tradition passed through generations in Medinah by the earliest people around. So these Muslim scholars or learned people throughout history have been trying their levels best to develop various methods of authenticating and rejecting hadith. Some people go through years and years of effort in this scrutiny, but the non-muslim in this discussion are stauncher than the staunchest Muslim. They believe in the hadith with no question. :) Dont be mistaken, even Muslims insist upon some hadith because they love it. But the problem is, atheists and Christians are not Muslim to have so much faith in these stories they pick. This is a phenomena not only in this forum, but also in many books written by Christians and atheists around the world. They would say something like "Muhammed did this", but hey, why do you believe he did this? Why do you believe this story? Dont you have a particular methodology? You are making a historical claim!!!

One of the most popular apologetic is that "Muslims believe this". First of all, no muslim believes in all the stories. No one. Also, muslims believe this is not a criteria for a historical claim for a non-muslim. If "Muslims believe this" is the criteria, then you have to also believe in other things Muslims believe because its the same criteria, or you are practicing a double standard. One standard for your favourite apologetic, and another standard for not so juicy stories.

I believe that this is intellectual dishonesty, spread across openly. This has been discussed a few times, but the discussion point is, why do people still keep doing this? Do they do it unknowingly? Is it even possible that people are doing this unknowingly? Ignorance is fine, it exists and everyone is ignorant about something or a lot of things, but then why insist? Why make historical claims?
I suspect it is almost always a mistake for a non-adherent of a religion to read that religion's scriptures and try to interpret for himself what they signify to believers. All scripture was written ages ago in a different culture and often the meaning is not self-evident, especially when it may seem to conflict with other scriptural passages. One has to ask how the religious authorities of that religion interpret the scripture.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I suspect it is almost always a mistake for a non-adherent of a religion to read that religion's scriptures and try to interpret for himself what they signify to believers. All scripture was written ages ago in a different culture and often the meaning is not self-evident, especially when it may seem to conflict with other scriptural passages. One has to ask how the religious authorities of that religion interpret the scripture.

This is not addressing "scripture". This is specific to ahadith quoted as historical events by non-muslims. We can discuss how conflicting scripture and their interpretations etc etc in a separate thread if you wish. Hope you understand the point being made.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

I think you are complicating something inherently amazingly simple. A bit like the different and profound philosophical questions that plagued Christianity for so long: what sex have angels? :)

i am not sure what your point here is. To convince us that the tenets of your theistic belief, like all theistic beliefs, are a matter of opinion?

ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Shakeel

someone claims he has read all 6 ahadith collections of the Sunni tradition (not knowing the Shii's also follow the same ahadith, but have a different methodology)
They reject much of the hadiths. That's not following. That's rejecting.

Last edited by a moderator:

exchemist

Veteran Member
This is not addressing "scripture". This is specific to ahadith quoted as historical events by non-muslims. We can discuss how conflicting scripture and their interpretations etc etc in a separate thread if you wish. Hope you understand the point being made.
A hadith is a piece of writing, not an event.

If you are telling me hadiths (or ahadith) are not scripture, what gives them legitimacy to a muslim believer?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

We also don't have to, because I as I don't care for Islam. I accept you as human, but that has nothing with your faith as such as being special. Just as my faith is not special.
I believe differently than you and how you deal with that, is on you. Or in reverse.

firedragon

Veteran Member
A hadith is a piece of writing, not an event.

If you are telling me hadiths (or ahadith) are not scripture, what gives them legitimacy to a muslim believer?

I really dont understand "why Muslims believe" is the topic. Nevertheless I will honour your question.

Muslims believe ahadith to be true historical events, or at least some of them, because they believe they have developed a system to authenticate or to deem the inauthenticity. There are a humungous amount of parameters, rules and yardsticks they use and I doubt one post is enough to explain all of them or even part of it. If you want to study the subject you can look up Usool al hadith.

firedragon

Veteran Member
We also don't have to, because I as I don't care for Islam. I accept you as human, but that has nothing with your faith as such as being special. Just as my faith is not special.
I believe differently than you and how you deal with that, is on you. Or in reverse.

Of course you believe not what I believe. I can respect that.

But maybe I did not understand your post.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I really dont understand "why Muslims believe" is the topic. Nevertheless I will honour your question.

Muslims believe ahadith to be true historical events, or at least some of them, because they believe they have developed a system to authenticate or to deem the inauthenticity. There are a humungous amount of parameters, rules and yardsticks they use and I doubt one post is enough to explain all of them or even part of it. If you want to study the subject you can look up Usool al hadith.

OK, some of them are thought to be inauthentic, but only a muslim scholar can tell you which. Right?

But they are not scripture, then. Is that right?

So it was my mistake to talk about them as if they are part of muslim scripture. Is that fair?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Why make historical claims?

Of course this is at least somewhat rhetorical if not wholly so because people use anything they can find or twist to justify their opinions.

And of course, people ignore the problem of history. We in the west accept certain authors as accurately recording what happened and often what people said and did. But when it comes to other cultures and other history don't apply the same standards.

Clearly ahadith as we know it today is the outcome of centuries of careful scholarship by people who were strongly motivated to record what Muhammad actually said and did. I have no reason to doubt that their efforts are any less accurate than any other group of motivated historians.

But necessary humility should not lead to what is too often the case today - the idea that only blacks should write about blacks, only women should write about women and by extension only Muslims should write about Islamic history. I found, for example, Karen Armstrong's writings illuminating and helpful

firedragon

Veteran Member
OK, some of them are thought to be inauthentic, but only a muslim scholar can tell you which. Right?

But they are not scripture, then. Is that right?

So it was my mistake to talk about them as if they are part of muslim scripture. Is that fair?

Fair.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Of course this is at least somewhat rhetorical if not wholly so because people use anything they can find or twist to justify their opinions.

And of course, people ignore the problem of history. We in the west accept certain authors as accurately recording what happened and often what people said and did. But when it comes to other cultures and other history don't apply the same standards.

Clearly ahadith as we know it today is the outcome of centuries of careful scholarship by people who were strongly motivated to record what Muhammad actually said and did. I have no reason to doubt that their efforts are any less accurate than any other group of motivated historians.

But necessary humility should not lead to what is too often the case today - the idea that only blacks should write about blacks, only women should write about women and by extension only Muslims should write about Islamic history. I found, for example, Karen Armstrong's writings illuminating and helpful

Careful scholarship that you mentioned in your post is not necessarily ahadith per se, it is the ilm or the science of it. Collections of ahadith is not the science. The study of it is the science. You dont have to believe it, but should know that something like that exists.

Also, about scholarship and where they come from, there are non-muslim scholars who do some ground breaking stuff. You should try Fred Donner if you are interested. He is no Muslim.

We in the west accept certain authors as accurately recording what happened and often what people said and did. But when it comes to other cultures and other history don't apply the same standards.

It's almost the opposite way round.

Most western historians until relatively recently took the Islamic traditions at face value as regards the historical component. It was only when they started to apply the same standards as they would do to any other historical sources that they started to be treated more critically.

Most people don't take the Gospels as being historically accurate despite being written down far closer to the events than hadith were. Most islamic 'history' (really theology) except the Quran took a couple of centuries to be written down, and this occurred in a very different time and place to Muhammad's lifetime.

Sources that are late and often clearly serve a purpose in the 'present' when they were written are treated very sceptically.

Not to mention these 'historians' recorded events like the splitting of the moon, flying donkeys and rocks that could run away with people's clothes.

Like the Bible, they are theology that may contain some kernels of historical truth.