• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Human Guru?

kaisersose

How about a Satguru though? Can something that is not a Human be a Satguru to people?

Does a book work? For example, the Gita can be a Guru by itself without agents.

In the past - specifically before the age of printing - there was a system in place where one had to go to a Guru to have access to reading material and for discussion and QA. Learning was just not possible without a Guru.

Printing (and now the internet) has changed all that. Knowledge is available through multiple sources and the individual can choose what works best for him at that point of time. There is no mandatory requirement to have a physical, human Guru to learn or to advance.

To me, the key is in determining what we want and why. Most people never seem to spend enough time addressing these basic questions, yielding to the temptation of zipping though.

Why do I seek Liberation? (very important question)
How do I define Liberation?
How will I recognize it?
What is the post-liberation benefit that I seek?
How do I know the method that I am following will get me there?
If I have some answers to these questions, how sure am I that they are all correct?

If you have open/burning questions, it is my experience that some source of knowledge comes along to answer these questions.

Wannabe Yogi

Is it possible to have a Guru that is not in a Human form?

There is a scripture on this subject, the Guru Gita from the Skanda Purana. Its a 182 verses of a explanation of what the Guru is all about. It is very helpful in understanding the nature of the Guru.

My feeling is that there is one Guru... God. He can teach you through a man/woman (most often the case) or anything animal vegetable or mineral.

The Guru teaches us over time to become our own Guru's.

Arav

Jain
Does a book work? For example, the Gita can be a Guru by itself without agents.

In the past - specifically before the age of printing - there was a system in place where one had to go to a Guru to have access to reading material and for discussion and QA. Learning was just not possible without a Guru.

Printing (and now the internet) has changed all that. Knowledge is available through multiple sources and the individual can choose what works best for him at that point of time. There is no mandatory requirement to have a physical, human Guru to learn or to advance.

To me, the key is in determining what we want and why. Most people never seem to spend enough time addressing these basic questions, yielding to the temptation of zipping though.

Why do I seek Liberation? (very important question)
How do I define Liberation?
How will I recognize it?
What is the post-liberation benefit that I seek?
How do I know the method that I am following will get me there?
If I have some answers to these questions, how sure am I that they are all correct?

If you have open/burning questions, it is my experience that some source of knowledge comes along to answer these questions.

I have asked those questions and have been seeking for a long time but I have yet to find a human Guru. So I was wondering if my Guru is not in a Human form but is something else that is right in front of me and im just not seeing.

kaisersose

I have asked those questions and have been seeking for a long time but I have yet to find a human Guru. So I was wondering if my Guru is not in a Human form but is something else that is right in front of me and im just not seeing.

A human Guru is not an absolute necessity. If you start thinking this way, then you may look at some sources which you ignored up until now.

I had a lot of questions and it took several years to get them answered to some level of satisfaction. I went through a number of books (in sequence) the Gita, Ramana, Advaita, Jiddu Krishanmurti and finally UG Krishnamurti before I found some kind of balance. With my cynical nature and incessant questioning, a human Guru would have quickly tossed me out. I think, most Gurus only tolerate a few, superficial questions and expect you to accept their answers as authoritative & final. If not, they have better things to do with their time than to indulge in long QA sessions.

Arav

Jain
Well, as you can see Keisersose, I have started worshipping Arunachala Hill. Is it possible that I could choose that to be my Guru?

Arav

Jain
The 11th and final Guru of Sikhism is the Guru Granth Sahib. It's definitely not human.

That is a great example and you do have a point! Im really thinking about taking Arunachala as my Guru sense I have yet to find a human one. I have heard some people say that the Guru will come to you when you are ready, but when is that? How long do you have to wait? It seems tough to follow such a guideline.

kaisersose

Well, as you can see Keisersose, I have started worshipping Arunachala Hill. Is it possible that I could choose that to be my Guru?

Why not? The hill is seen as non-different from Shiva, which is why people circle the hill instead of climbing it (as in Tirupathi, etc).

It is my opinion that the passion in you to know or to find will take you forward. Having a symbolic Guru like Arunachala, can help you to be more focussed.

Arav

Jain
Why not? The hill is seen as non-different from Shiva, which is why people circle the hill instead of climbing it (as in Tirupathi, etc).

It is my opinion that the passion in you to know or to find will take you forward. Having a symbolic Guru like Arunachala, can help you to be more focussed.

Thanks Kaisersose. Ill have to think about this some more. But I probably will see Arunachala as that guiding force on my path, like a Guru.

xkatz

I have heard some people say that the Guru will come to you when you are ready, but when is that? How long do you have to wait?

Exactly what you said, when you are ready so to speak. There is no way of telling how long that could be; you have to find out for yourself if you are ready.

Wannabe Yogi

I think, most Gurus only tolerate a few, superficial questions and expect you to accept their answers as authoritative & final. If not, they have better things to do with their time than to indulge in long QA sessions.

This is not true in my experience. They seem to want to answer any real heart felt questions.

The Teacher who gave me my mantra had an open meeting once a week for questions and meet with me for an 1/2 hour every week to answer any questions and directions in understanding scripture.

The teacher I had who showed me how to do Tantric Puja and Fire Worship. She made dinner for me once a week and set down with me to answer all my questions.

All questions were on the table and welcome.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Arav,

Who is the FIRST??
none, it has to be EXISTENCE itself.
Personally have existence itself of whom am a part who does everything.
Having a *guru* means being a *disciple*; here find none to be separate who needs a separate *guru*; and surely YES when the mind raises its hood, existence itself takes care of it.

Love & rgds

Satsangi

Friend Arav,

You can try to choose the Guru; but in Sanatana Dharma usually the Guru accepts the Shishya- he has the final word. I am in favor of a trying to get a Pragat Guru.

Regards,

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Ultimately the task of the true Guru is to guide you to seek the Guru within whereby you are to find out what and who you really are?

Hint....that which seeks is that which is sought, and that which is sought is that which seeks.