• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Christians - Help needed to answer 10 questions for a class assignment

702student

If anyone can help answer these questions for an assignment that is due by this weekend, I would really appreciate it! These questions are targeted toward a non-Christian. Just need 1 non-Christian person to respond. But if there's more than 1 person, that's okay too. There's really no wrong or right answer. All these questions are basically asking for your opinion and aren't meant to offend anyone.

1. What do you think of the church?
2. What do you think about Jesus or how would you describe Jesus?
3. What do you think about salvation or what do you think saves you?
4. What do you think will happen after death?
5. What do you think about Christianity?
6. What do you think about individual Christians you know?
7. What do you say prevents or is a hindrance to people from converting to Christianity?
8. What is your opinion on how we were created?
9. Why do you think people are drawn to Christianity?
10. What do you think is our purpose in life?

Shuddhasattva

Doesn't appreciate serving staff, eats noisily, leaves hair in the shower drain and empty cartons in the fridge, steps on puppies, microwaves kittens. Oh, and a spiritual rapist/junkie with a billion believer habit. Also, complicit in the holocaust and talking in movie theaters.

A guy who's his own son? Radical, duude.

Bells. Jingle bells, maybe.

It'll be big, black and probably violate your state's historical miscegenation laws, amongst other things.

I'm sad that it's still alive to talk about as such. Ah, but it could be better.

Spiritually boring even if personally interesting, with a few exceptions - radical Christians mostly.

7. What do you say prevents or is a hindrance to people from converting to Christianity?
The old tools of separation and hysterical xenophobia aren't so effective these days. Christianity needs to overhaul its marketing strategy, heaven and hell and cheap salvation just ain't up to snuff anymore.
When a mommy amino acid and a daddy amino acid love eachother very much, something weird happens and they start folding proteins or something.
Fear, ignorance.

Construct a giant tower reaching to heaven.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Which church?

I'm not sure he existed in the literal sense, and I wish the teachings attributed to him were taken a bit better care of.

I don't use that concept. Not sure what it would be meant to be.

Others will keep living. Death is as natural as life.

I'm a bit surprised by its popularity. Religions centered on the idea of a Creator God are difficult to understand.

They vary a lot. Some take their beliefs in somewhat unhealthy ways.

I am very much an atheist and a freethinker.

Existence itself simply happens, far as I can tell. Life developed spontaneously, as did humans.

A desire for ready-made existential answers. In some cases, misprocessed guilt or anxiety related to the idea of an afterlife.

Not at all rarely, there are significant social concerns as well.

I don't think we come with any purpose, but we should try and build one.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

I agree with Luis. Which church? Churches are not cookie-cutter replicas of each other. Each one is very different. I cannot and will not comment on churches generally beyond saying they are a result of humans being social animals that enjoy having shared experiences and culture.

I don't think about him very often, honestly, so I would simply describe him as a (probably the) central mythological* figure of Christianity.

* To clarify, no, I don't mean mythological in the colloquial sense, I mean it in the religious sense: sacred stories of truth and meaning.

404 Error. File titled "salvation" not found.

There is no death. There is no birth. Existence is a continuum of changes and transformations.

I think that in many respects, we'd be better off referring to it as a group of religions rather than a religion in the singular given how diverse it is. In general, I'm not a fan of what most traditions put at their core, but if it makes sense to you, go for it.

I don't think of them as Christians, I think of them as people. There's only one person I know who is zealous enough with their Christianity that I think of them as a Christian first and a person second. He is among the most honorable individuals I have ever met, and that is not a statement I make lightly.

They don't want to?

Mike: Hey, dude, don't you want to try this cheeseburger?
Sarah: No, I really prefer sushi.
Mike: But cheeseburgers are awesome!
Sarah: No, I don't want a cheeseburger. Stop asking.

I don't care. We're here. My path focuses on finding the meaning and truths in the here and now. Beyond that, go pop open a science textbook or some Pagan mythology if you want something more poetic.

It seems to me that in my country, people are not drawn to it as much as born into it and keep walking that path by default. What makes them stay varies broadly, but in all cases the path is sustained because it is still consistent with one's life experiences and emotional or social needs. Folks convert for the same basic reason: the path is more consistent with their life experiences and fills emotional or social needs more than where they were before.

Do what you've been fated to do.

En'me

RightBehindEveryoneElse
Doesn't appreciate serving staff, eats noisily, leaves hair in the shower drain and empty cartons in the fridge, steps on puppies, microwaves kittens. Oh, and a spiritual rapist/junkie with a billion believer habit. Also, complicit in the holocaust and talking in movie theaters.

A guy who's his own son? Radical, duude.

Bells. Jingle bells, maybe.

It'll be big, black and probably violate your state's historical miscegenation laws, amongst other things.

I'm sad that it's still alive to talk about as such. Ah, but it could be better.

Spiritually boring even if personally interesting, with a few exceptions - radical Christians mostly.

The old tools of separation and hysterical xenophobia aren't so effective these days. Christianity needs to overhaul its marketing strategy, heaven and hell and cheap salvation just ain't up to snuff anymore.
When a mommy amino acid and a daddy amino acid love eachother very much, something weird happens and they start folding proteins or something.
Fear, ignorance.

Construct a giant tower reaching to heaven.

Hey dude, I don't know whats got into you, but that was freakin' awesome, LOL. Now, having complimented you I'd be rude to 702student not to answer him. So, here are my answers, filled with infite knowledge (I wish):

Not much. My knowledge and experience with Church is practically non-existent. I think it's a place where people go pray and have ceremonies partaining to either birth/death of people, etc... If you're asking about the Church's influence on the world, than I don't know.

2. What do you think about Jesus or how would you describe Jesus
From my POV, Jesus may have a been a historical person. I say may because, I've been taught that he actualy existed, however alot of "facts" that we are told in todays world, simply are not true any longer. I'd have to research the matter more to give a certain, firm opinion of Jesus. Other than that, I think he was a person trying to spread good through religious movement.

If we define salvation as, "(in religion) the saving of the soul from sin and its consequences", saving the soul actualy means saving myself and would be best interpreted as me reaching Samadhi and later Moksha.

The one who saves me is me alone.

I don't know. Perhaps there is a subtle body which lives on or perhaps, or as pure conciousness you attach to another body, both options being based on the principle of samsara (dath&rebirth due to karma).

I think that it is, as in many religions, a subjective attempt at evaluating reality and beyond reality while keeping emotional attachment to previous traditions. A religion made from many sources. I don't have a positive or negative opinion about Christianity, but generaly I wouldn't recommend following Christiany.

I don't know any Christians, atleast, I don't think that anyone I know is a Christian.

Knowledge and acceptance of ceasation of consciousness at the moment of death, facing the reality that is being born and dying alone.

Evolution.
Recognizing they have a tendency to want to connect to something higher or subtler, spiritual, immediatly spiking that up to the highest, i.e. God and than turning to that which is in immediate sight = religion, of which the most widespread and influentinal is Christiany, coming to the conclusion they have found what they were searching for.

In other words, ignorance.

IMO, the purpose in life is the freedom to choose your purpose in life and receive results accordingly.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

How are you defining church?

A prophet who did some good things in lfe

nice concept but nothing more. As for what "saves me" I don't believe in an afterlife so the question isn't applicable

Nothing

a flawed theology

nice people for the most part

1) The problems with Christianity (problem of evil etc.)
2) Other religions making similar claims. Hard to choose between two religions when that happens.
3) Other reasons that I can't think of atm

I don't have one

It's generally an easy religion. All you have to do is believe in a guy called Jesus and try to be a nice guy and, hey presto, heaven here we come.

happiness

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I echo the others here. Which church?

Possibly historical figure. If he was, he was a Jewish rabbi that got a load of myths pasted on him. He wasn't a bad guy, but he definitely was a human.

There's no need for saving. No sin, no God, no Satan. There's just us and every day life.

My remains will go on feeding the rest of the ecosystem. My big dream is to become a tree in the "next life".

Which part of it? I like researching the early history, just like I research pretty much all religions. Beyond that as long as they leave me alone I'm pretty fine leaving them alone.

I don't judge people based on their religion. Actually I'm not even quite sure of what a few of my friends believe.

Facts. Not much to add there, I'm afraid.

Created is the wrong word. We're a wonderful fluke in the vastness of the Universe.

It's part of the culture around them and what they're brought up with. If Christianity was a small sect somewhere in the Middle East, people could just as well believe in Isis or Thor or Zeus - depending on what would be around instead.

There's no other purpose in life that what we make of it. My purposes are to live a happy life, take care of those I love and develop as a person as much as I can so I can leave some good after me before I die.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Dying.
Overrated and misunderstood.
Saves from what?
Peace.
Ignorant.
Human.
Daddy issues (or perhaps lack of), education, lack of conformity.
Formed.
Daddy issues, lack of education, conformity.
Whatever we want it to be.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Some are pretty, some are plain, some are tacky.

One of the more influential and lasting fictional characters.

People who need saving are generally adverse to being saved.

You're dead.

If people actually took to heart what its core teachings are, then I'd think a lot more of it.

Their Christianity rarely comes up, and has little impact on how I view them as people.

That they don't need Christianity and/or believe in it.

My parents had sex, I was created.

Mostly because they were born into it and people tend to stick with the social and cultural constructs they are surrounded by and used to.

Biologically - to survive long enough to pass on our genes. Philosophically - that's up to each person to decide for themselves.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
If anyone can help answer these questions for an assignment that is due by this weekend, I would really appreciate it! These questions are targeted toward a non-Christian. Just need 1 non-Christian person to respond. But if there's more than 1 person, that's okay too. There's really no wrong or right answer. All these questions are basically asking for your opinion and aren't meant to offend anyone.

1. I think the term 'church' is far too vague. Are you talking about the Vatican or the Frank Lloyd Wright UU Church in Oak Park? Generally, I would say that the church, like the synagogue, are flawed human institutions which have done far more good than harm.
  2. I suspect that he was an Isaiah-like sect leader co-opted by Hellenists in the diaspora.
  3. I do not believe in salvation.
  4. Decay.
  5. I think it idolatry based on fiction.
  6. Most Christians I know are like most Jews I know.
  7. It depends on the person. I see little in Christianity that I find to be both unique and authentic.
  8. Emergence.
  9. The need for a reassuring promise.
  10. I think we create purpose much like any other piece of art.

horizon_mj1

Which Church are you referring to (there are several)? By the way you ask this question I would guess that you are from the Catholic Religion. My opinion would be one of extreme caution due to a history of Blood-lust and the belief that they are the only ones who can communicate with the Divine (of course though most churches reflect the same beliefs).
A person ordained by a Divine being to give people permission to speak to the Divine, a teacher, a brother, a friend, not a King as of yet but a Prince waiting for the Kingdom to be inherited, but not the Supreme Being.
Logical thinking and Knowledge. Having the ability to react properly to any given situation and have the tools needed to get the job done properly. By keeping a clear mind and never forgetting we as Humans are not Dominate, but have been given a chance to be a part of the list (of Dominate Beings)
I already know what will happen after Death; yes I have been there; no there was no tunnel of light or loved ones to greet me, instead I was a part of an Extremely Pure and Loving Light; if you can imagine what it would be like to take every good feeling you have ever had in your life and feel it at one time, it would be comparable to what awaits us after Death.

I think Jesus would be very disappointed. He asked people to worship His Father, not Him, and way too many people are kneeling before the battle is even done.

Some are tolerable for the most part, others are a bit more self-righteous, which leaves a bad taste in my thought.

They want to worship God, not Jesus.

Evolution and Creation are Divine tools used for the basic fundamental existence on this planet.
Fellowship. Sometimes when a person has a weakness, they search like minded people. (I am not saying that all Christians are weak and like minded, I just believe this is the basic mind pattern in which draws people to things such as Christianity.
To Seek Perfection in everything you do; after all if you do not seek Perfection how can you ever know what Perfect is (including the Divine Perfection).

I hope I didn't cause too many waves, but thought you might want someone with extremely diverse idealisms to answer and I try my best to always refer to the Truth.

1. What do you think of the church? Institution that used to burn witches and kill people who dont believe, thats bad.
2. What do you think about Jesus or how would you describe Jesus? Certainly not the son of god. Just a philosopher at the best
3. What do you think about salvation or what do you think saves you? Food keeps me alive
4. What do you think will happen after death? Nothing, you stop living.
5. What do you think about Christianity? A violent immoral doctrine
6. What do you think about individual Christians you know? Not open to reason
7. What do you say prevents or is a hindrance to people from converting to Christianity? It has no logical basis
8. What is your opinion on how we were created? Evolution
9. Why do you think people are drawn to Christianity? They want something to feel affiliated with/ want to feel special in the bigger spectrum / want explaination
10. What do you think is our purpose in life? Reproduce

Last edited:
the christian church is a powerful institution capable of rallying support for causes, raising money to execute initiatives, and make a great deal of change. some churches use this power for good things (feeding the poor, helping the sick, and providing relief aid after disasters) while others use it for greedy or otherwise unsavory things (blocking legislature aimed at equal rights, providing a lavish lifestyle for clergy, covering up unscrupulous acts committed by members/staff, brainwashing). it's completely up to the congregation and it's elders to make sure the church is doing what they feel is right.

some teachings of 'his' were good, some not so good. i personally believe the jesus of the new testament is a conglomeration of several men claiming to be the messiah in that particular time period all rolled into an easily digestible doctrine of love and peace.

not convinced i have anything to be saved from. salvation is a great concept, but creating a need by telling people they need salvation and then selling them the miracle product that will solve the problem you invented is a pretty dishonest practice.

decomposition.

it all depends on the christian. christianity is simply means with which some people describe their surroundings and guide their character, sometimes it turns out bad, sometimes it turns out very good.

i know a lot of christians. some of them are tremendous, loving, caring people and others hide behind their faith in order to justify doing horrible things and excluding anyone who's not in the 'club'.

christianity's biggest obstacle is obviously the claims that it makes about the earth and the universe around us. scientific progress is going far beyond taking the holy books of ancient times as fact, and if the christian church wants to remain relevant and thriving they are going to just have to accept the fact that the bible is at best allegorical, and at worst flat out wrong about hard facts. also christians have historically done a terrible job of isolating themselves from those who stray from the teachings of love and compassion into the realm of bigoted hate speech. every time a known christian says something out of sectarian or partisan bias rather than through the lens of doctrine, the church needs to learn how to make it clear to the rest of us that they do not take responsibility for that persons idiocy.

using the word created implies a creator, and i do not believe that there is/was one. as far as how life began on this planet or how the planet/universe even got here i join the majority of the scientific community in saying that i dont know. there are some good ideas, and it's fascinating to explore them, but at this point in our history we do not understand the actual origin of the universe itself or what sparked the 'life revolution' on earth. but it's okay, anyone else who's even claimed to know has been wrong - so at least we're being mature about it now. any time you say the word 'create' and you're discussing christianity, obviously we're talking about creationism - so i will answer the real question: yes, i believe that the theory of evolution by natural selection is the best explanation for the diversity of life on this planet.

much of christianity's draw comes from it's popularity in the particular countries that it draws from. it's very fashionable to be a christian and it doesn't tend to get anyone into too much trouble as long as they stay away from the crazies. it's a decent way to make new friends if you are new in town, find activities (especially ones for kids, or 'safe' activities for teenagers), receive support in times of need, and to fulfill ones desire to serve and support a collective. aside from that, some people actually buy into the idea that you were born with an incurable disease that can only be cured by blood sacrifice of god's son - so they need to be a christian otherwise they fear that they will be going to a less desirable magic place outside of the known universe after they die. it's a little nutty, sure, but some people are all about it.

i dont think WE have a purpose in life. i do. it's to learn everything i can, decide the kind of man i want to be, and then be that man.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some churches seem okay, while other seem pretty outdated.

He didn't write anything down and the only short works about him are from unverified non-eyewitnesses decades after the fact, so it's hard to say.

His character seems to differ somewhat between writers, but overall I view him essentially as an Essene.

Christian conceptions of salvation don't make any sense to me.

It seems that they first try to create a problem, philosophically, and then offer the medicine for this supposed problem.

I don't think there exists good evidence that anything happens after death.

Various cultures believe all sorts of things. Some propose rebirth, some propose reincarnation, some propose getting tortured by fire gods, some propose going to heaven, some propose going on to higher ways of living.

Well again that's kind of broad. Some denominations I view with disgust, while others I think are decent.

Overall, I don't think very highly of the Christian religion.

I know a lot of them so there's no one answer for that.

Most of them aren't very knowledgeable about other religions, don't know their own religion very well, and in general are just normal people.

Probably the same sorts of things that prevent people from converting to Islam, or Hinduism, or Buddhism, or to deconvert from religion all together.

Different cultures have various religions; most people stick primarily with the religion they were born around. A smaller subset converts to a religion that they come in contact with that connects with them better.

I don't view Christianity as well-evidenced, internally consistent, logical, or ethical, so I would view those as hindrances.

Prior to the Big Bang, I don't know.

Like most cultures, people are born with it, or around it.

For some converts, I imagine that the various archetypes are appealing. If they're having difficulties, then being told about heavens and forgiveness and that sort of thing can potentially help them out.

Whatever you want it to be, I suppose.

The answers most people come up with seem superficial.

Oregon Alley Cat

happy humanist

1- I notice that you use "church" with a lower case C, so I guess you dont mean Roman Catholicism. I think of churches, as a non-theist, as being places where people go to for many reasons. Social support, networking, tradition, a sense of peace regarding our inevitable mortality, and so on.

2- I think that Jesus was probably a progressive moralist for his time. I appreciate his philosophy of non-violence. I like his distaste for hypocrisy. Obviously, as an atheist I dont accept his supposed claims of divinity if indeed he made them.

3-I do not believe that human beings are inherently flawed by an "original sin" and are in need of "salvation". I believe that what we need is the courage and strength to live our lives with honor and integrity.

4-I find it most likely that things will eventually go black (perhaps I will experience some kind of NDE, perhaps not) and that will be the end of me. I do not expect to consciously experience anything after this point. If there is actually something that comes after then I will be thrilled. I cannot imagine that it would be anything like any of the major religions describe it.

5-Christianity has some good teachings and some wisdom to offer the world. I cannot fairly assess the religion without mentioning the good that it has done. However, a great deal of harm has been done in the name of this faith as well. Has the good outweighed the bad? Perhaps, and perhaps not. There is no need to weight good against bad in this matter in my opinion. I think it would be easy to be sharply polemical about Christianity but to dwell on that is not something in my nature so I'd rather not go there.

6-I was a Christian for about twenty years and many of my friends and family are still very devout believers. They are wonderful people and I love each one of them deeply. I have met some Christians who are anything but nice people, but the vast majority of them have been quite decent folk.

7-Well, my perspective on this is going to be influenced by my own world-view of course, as an atheist. I can say that for me, for any religion and not just Christianity, there is the problem of there being no empirical evidence to support its claims. That is my main obstacle to possibly reconverting, not that there is reason to disbelieve so much as there is a staggering lack of reasons to believe.

8-I would tend to believe that evolution by gradual change over time is the method that best fits the available data that science has collected over the years.

9-Well, as I alluded to in #1 I think that a big part of it is social, that people desire the companionship of like-minded people. This certainly has value, and it troubles me that other atheists often can be very insular. I would love to meet with other secular humanists but the nearest meetup group is an hour and a half away and that much gas money just aint in the budget at the moment.

10-I think that we are in control of our lives. As such it is we, and we alone, that determine our own purpose and meaning in life. When I embraced this reality, as opposed to waiting for a deity to open doors for me, then I really started to have a better life (and I really love my life... the amazing wife, two beautiful boys, the cute little house, the fulfilling job, etc) as a result since I created one for myself.

Freedomelf

If you mean the Christian church as a whole, I think it is a place much like any other social gathering site. A place where good, bad, honest, dishonest, loving, cruel, stupid, smart people all gather together to do what they have been brainwashed to do when they were growing up. There are extremely few atheists who ever become Christians. Most non-Christians had some other religion, usually tribal or such, before converting to Christianity. So the church is a place where brainwashed people go to see others, socialize, and be seen by others in the community. They also go to feed their fear, their need and their desire to be with others who have been brainwashed in the same way as they.

Jesus is the most misunderstood character in history. He would cringe if he saw what has happened to his followers. He would probably be calling the Christian churches the biggest you-know-whats and have nothing to do with them.

I believe in life after death, and that there is a god or gods. I think our actions toward others help us to find our god or gods. Belief is optional; goodness and stewardship of Mother Earth and all its creatures is everything.

That we will find ourselves in a new life, either on this earth or in another realm.

Modern Christianity bears no resemblance whatsoever to its original faith, as practiced by followers of Christ during his time.

Wonderful, caring, loving and decent people...until you question their faith or profess non-belief. Then, they remain understanding and caring until they realize that they cannot "save" you...and then they turn very cold and want nothing to do with you. This is the majority; there are always exceptions to every rule.

Education frees people from superstition and mindless adherence to dogma. You'll find more Christians among the poor and uneducated. But of course, there are many, many Christians who are rich. These are not the ones, however, who grew up without Christianity. Rich Christians were brainwashed as children of parents who were brainwashed, of parents who were brainwashed, and somewhere along the line, you will find that all these descendants came from the original brainwashed individuals, who were poor and uneducated.

But the biggest hindrance to conversion are parents who teach children to think for themselves, to wonder about everything, to question everything, and to explore the world as little children, without brainwashing them. Yay, for such parents!

I don't worry about it. I feel that God had a hand in it, and I really don't care how he or she (or they) accomplished it. I just know that we were created, because I'm here. :)

People want to feel like martyrs. They want to feel persecuted, because it makes them feel special. To be part of a faith in which their leader was persecuted, makes them feel like they are partaking of that persecution, like they are brave or strong or better because they are suffering for their faith. You have no idea how many Christians I speak to who believe that they are being persecuted, even in America. They get mad if I say, "If you think you are persecuted in America, try walking in a Pagan's shoes for one day."

People are also drawn to Christianity because they want to have an "exclusive club" to join, a club that has beautiful rituals, lovely buildings, camaraderie and a sense of reward coming. They want to be part of a social club. They join for the music, for the gatherings, for the peace. They join for a freedom from fear of being alone. There are many reasons.

To show kindness and goodness to all whose path we cross.