• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Non-Anthropomorphic Immanent God = Atheism?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Of course you don't agree with pantheism if your panentheist. Just the same pantheism doesn't completely agree with panentheism or atheism. Far as I am concerned pantheists are the true monotheists.

Except for the fact that they do not believe in a God outside our physical existence.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
IMO, anything called "God" has been attributed with human characteristics. It comes along with the term.

If someone uses the terms "God" or "god" only in a non-literal way, then they're likely atheists. Using "Old Man Winter," "Mother Nature" or "Lady Luck" in a figurative way doesn't make a person a polytheist; in the same way, using "God" figuratively doesn't make a person a theist.

In general, I've found that most people who say that "God" is "the cosmos" or "nature" or the like don't actually mean that "God" is nothing more than the cosmos or nature. Generally, they're imbuing the cosmos or nature with attributes over and above the their conventional meaning.

For instance, defining "God" apophatically doesn't make much sense if all you mean by "God" is "the cosmos."
My understanding is that attributing human characteristics to God in Islam is forbidden.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Spinoza isn't saying "God" is allegorical. "the world are thought of as parts of one great substance", that's belief in something higher.

Incomplete concerning the citation of Spinoza. If you take the whole citation into account, in fact, he did not say that. Again . . .

"For Spinoza the claim that God is the same as the cosmos is spelled out as the thesis that there exists one and only one particular substance which he refers to as ‘God or nature’; the individual thing referred to as ‘God’ is one and the same object as the complex unit referred to as ‘nature’ or ‘the cosmos."

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
No cause then they'd be panentheist.:)

Incorrect and incomplete as far as far as the panentheist. The God of the panentheist is not equated with the same as our physical existence as pantheist view defines God. The panentheist God is separate from the physical existence, but in intimate association with the physical existence.The God of the panentheist is an apophatic unknowable God as in the Baha'i Faith. In fact it close the belief of the Baha'i Faith.

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Incorrect and incomplete as far as far as the panentheist. The God of the panentheist is not equated with the same as our physical existence as pantheist view defines God. The panentheist God is separate from the physical existence, but in intimate association with the physical existence.The God of the panentheist is an apophatic unknowable God as in the Baha'i Faith. In fact it close the belief of the Baha'i Faith.
Its not incorrect or incomplete, panentheism is meant to be an umbrella term that covers several religions deities mainly the monotheistic faiths. Yes panentheism might sound Baha'i, it also sounds Hindu, and Jewish.

Jumi

I would think atheists would contest that, even though that would mean the population of atheists would go up.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
No. Givin the root word means, "Without God's".
Etymologically it means without theism, and theism meant without belief in personal God(s). Deism (pandeism and panendeism) and pantheism (and panentheism) were considered subsets of atheism. Some people still find those parameters to be less unwieldy but it is more in use in certain theological and philosophical circles than in common use.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This is only a convenience and limitation of human language, and not attributing human attributes to God.
In English at least, things without gender are referred to with "it." In this context, gender is a human attribute.

In the Baha'i Faith and Islam God is unknowable, without gender, and without human attributes.
People don't form entire religions around unknowable things and the actions and desires of these unknowable things.

Like I said earlier, the genderless pronoun in English is "it." English doesn't have gendered nouns like some other languages. The term "he" necessarily implies that thing being referred to has a (male) gender.

And the 101 attributes of God listed here sure seem pretty human to me:
Attributes of God

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
My view is that it's mostly just weak-minded sophistry. If God is not transcendental, then God must be anthropomorphic, as it must exist within and through us. Yet, existence, itself, and including ourselves specifically, manifests inexplicable degrees of transcendence: from matter to life, and from life to conscious self-awareness. So to claim that God is a lesser form of existence, by claiming that God is not transcendental, defies the definition of a even a man, much less a "god".
It defies many images of god, yes.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Etymologically it means without theism, and theism meant without belief in personal God(s). Deism (pandeism and panendeism) and pantheism (and panentheism) were considered subsets of atheism. Some people still find those parameters to be less unwieldy but it is more in use in certain theological and philosophical circles than in common use.
It's likely schematics. This is a section from Wiki but it seems academic circles reflects the the terms meaning in the same way.

Wiki...

"The etymological root for the word atheism originated before the 5th century BCE from the ancient Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)"

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In English at least, things without gender are referred to with "it." In this context, gender is a human attribute.

Scripture does not follow secular English convention.

People don't form entire religions around unknowable things and the actions and desires of these unknowable things.

ignorance of the nature of a religions beliefs, is not knowledge from your perspective.

Like I said earlier, the genderless pronoun in English is "it." English doesn't have gendered nouns like some other languages. The term "he" necessarily implies that thing being referred to has a (male) gender.

Like I said earlier . . .

Scripture does not follow secular English convention.

And the 101 attributes of God listed here sure seem pretty human to me:
Attributes of God[/QUOTE]

Attributes of God are not God, they are attributes of Creation and humanity.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Incomplete concerning the citation of Spinoza. If you take the whole citation into account, in fact, he did not say that. Again . . .

"For Spinoza the claim that God is the same as the cosmos is spelled out as the thesis that there exists one and only one particular substance which he refers to as ‘God or nature’; the individual thing referred to as ‘God’ is one and the same object as the complex unit referred to as ‘nature’ or ‘the cosmos."
He does say it right after the part you cut off.

""On such a scheme the finite things of the world are thought of as something like parts of the one great substance, ""

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
He does say it right after the part you cut off.

""On such a scheme the finite things of the world are thought of as something like parts of the one great substance, ""

True, but the sum of the parts is the cosmos. The first part clearly and specifically defines pantheism.

idav

Being
Premium Member
True, but the sum of the parts is the cosmos. The first part clearly and specifically defines pantheism.
I'm trying to understand what your getting at. A pantheist by definition holds a belief in a certain type of god, you can disagree with the belief but doesn't undermine its theism.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I'm trying to understand what your getting at. A pantheist by definition holds a belief in a certain type of god, you can disagree with the belief but doesn't undermine its theism.

Reread Spinoza. There is no certain type of God in pantheism. The God of pantheism is the physical cosmos. It is a symbolic use of the word 'God.'