• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Sin?

kmkemp

There is a difference between philosophy and wit, you are being witty and thats wonderful however it does not follow a logical premise and it does tend to repeat itself. If I don't have free will than your god is the most evil being in the universe because I am damned to hell for not believing in him however I have no choice but to not believe in him because he is making me not believe in him because I have no free will. Do you see how ridicules this is?

What makes you think that free will would magically cause you to accept God?

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is a difference between philosophy and wit, you are being witty and thats wonderful however it does not follow a logical premise and it does tend to repeat itself. If I don't have free will than your god is the most evil being in the universe because I am damned to hell for not believing in him however I have no choice but to not believe in him because he is making me not believe in him because I have no free will. Do you see how ridicules this is?

You have things in reverse. If you did not have free will you would be in Heaven. It is because you have free will that you are on earth when evil is allowed. When the Kingdom of God comes on earth free will goes away and possibly you do also. Where you go depends on what you believe.

Francine

When the Kingdom of God comes on earth free will goes away and possibly you do also. Where you go depends on what you believe.

And on what you did with that belief. Romans 2:[7] To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life

Nick Soapdish

Secret Agent
actually there is a sence of morality in animals.

Pack and herd structure is based on strict hierarchy and often have strict "laws".

In many wasps and ants you can highly developed "laws" and those that are caught breaking them by thier sisters are killed.
Morality is vital to a social species. Humans included. It isn't unique to us though... sorry.

wa:do

Ah, but do they contemplate their morality? Are they aware of it? Or do they just react based on the emotions these things trigger?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Tell me, what kind of will is free when it is God's which must be done - or else!?

It isn't all encompassable because then you would be God.

Free will is only definitive of your ability to rebel against God. An analogy would be parents and a rebellious child. The child at adulthood can rebel against the parents but the parents can toss the child out of the house.

Just because you have free will, doesn't mean that you have the power to exert your will.

Somkid

You have things in reverse. If you did not have free will you would be in Heaven. It is because you have free will that you are on earth when evil is allowed. When the Kingdom of God comes on earth free will goes away and possibly you do also. Where you go depends on what you believe.

There are 2 things we have absolutely no control over the first is being born we do not choose it our parents do there is little choice in the matter (unless you talk to a Tibetan Buddhist) the second being death, we can control it in the sense of making it come early but we can not stop it when it comes on its own. I live in the Kingdom of Thailand and there is only room for one King here the one who feeds the people, cares for the sick and is loved by all. There is no room for any kingdom here that would allow evil, suffering, hate or death of the innocent. When I die I will be dead it is that simple most people can't handle the reality of that and I'm not saying I like it but it makes me a better person and drives me to do good for future generations not to mention the reality of the situation makes living so much more precious.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
It isn't all encompassable because then you would be God.
That's ok with me - I already believe that to be the case...

Free will is only definitive of your ability to rebel against God. An analogy would be parents and a rebellious child. The child at adulthood can rebel against the parents but the parents can toss the child out of the house.
TBH, if the child must be such a "rebel" and be tossed out of the house, then the house probably wasn't condusive to his growth as a person, and it's quite possible that it's better that way. I don't believe God would put us in a place that we could be such "rebels" that we'd get kicked out. God, I'm sure, is a much better "parent" than to raise a child in a situation where it is even possible to "rebel" against It...

Just because you have free will, doesn't mean that you have the power to exert your will.
Then what of (don't know the exact quote) "Your will is my will"?

Ivan

Yeah, free will gives us the ability to rebel against God, but it also gives us the ability to choose to obey God. Really, it is only after having chosen to follow Him that you can rebel against Him. But that doesn't mean that you will be 'tossed out of the house' if you rebel against Him. God is a loving and forgiving God. Yes we can choose to 'rebel' against Him but if we have chosen to believe and live for Him He will forgive us. You can't compare God to earthly parents in this situation. God loves us no matter what, and will forgive no matter what. Parents are not so loving or forgiving.

I don't believe God would put us in a place that we could be such "rebels" that we'd get kicked out. God, I'm sure, is a much better "parent" than to raise a child in a situation where it is even possible to "rebel" against It...

Your right, God does not put us in a place that we could be such "rebels' or do certain actions that will get Him to "kick us out" of our salvation or ultimately of Heaven. He is a much better parent than that. However, you first have to choose to be in His "house" and let Him be our "parent". It is only when you have chosen this that this truth is applicable. If you have never chosen to be in His "house" then then you can never rebel and be thrown out of His "house."

Muffled

Jesus in me
Yeah, free will gives us the ability to rebel against God, but it also gives us the ability to choose to obey God. Really, it is only after having chosen to follow Him that you can rebel against Him. But that doesn't mean that you will be 'tossed out of the house' if you rebel against Him. God is a loving and forgiving God. Yes we can choose to 'rebel' against Him but if we have chosen to believe and live for Him He will forgive us. You can't compare God to earthly parents in this situation. God loves us no matter what, and will forgive no matter what. Parents are not so loving or forgiving.

Your right, God does not put us in a place that we could be such "rebels' or do certain actions that will get Him to "kick us out" of our salvation or ultimately of Heaven. He is a much better parent than that. However, you first have to choose to be in His "house" and let Him be our "parent". It is only when you have chosen this that this truth is applicable. If you have never chosen to be in His "house" then then you can never rebel and be thrown out of His "house."

I kicked my daughter out of the house once. She sat on the stoop and cried until I took her back in. I never gave up on her but I wasn't able to save her from herself.

It isn't that God is putting people in a place where they can rebel. He is letting them back in the house so He can try to persuade them to be saved. However for the sake of the righteous they have to be cast back out so the household can have peace and rest.